Author Topic: My house got broken into today. (How do you protect your collections?)  (Read 36938 times)

Re: My house got broken into today. (How do you protect your collections?)
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2019, 08:38:27 am »
I don't believe this even happen anymore, because if this really happened to anyone and if anyone really cared about their stuff It they would not be all smiley about it in the first place. I think we were being trolled

nice one I hope you had a good laugh at this prank >:(

You didn't half to make this up for a good thread, the second half of the thread title would have gotten plenty of replies
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:42:34 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2019, 01:49:51 pm »
I don't believe this even happen anymore, because if this really happened to anyone and if anyone really cared about their stuff It they would not be all smiley about it in the first place. I think we were being trolled

nice one I hope you had a good laugh at this prank >:(

You didn't half to make this up for a good thread, the second half of the thread title would have gotten plenty of replies

Oldgamerz, trust me.  If I wanted to get attention on this page I could. It's the least of my concerns. Believe what you want but don't be an asshole to me.  Because from someone who has constantly been accused of trolling on this page. You should know better.

Firstly, I would never lie about my families safety.  EVER.  I believe in Karma and if you think i'd put negative Karma into the safety of my family, the sanctity of my home and risk my life, you think so low of me that It's pretty offensive. Especially not to impress you.  See this is exactly why I don't bother opening up about my real life to people online. I let out a vulnerable time and get this as a response once things get better.  And it had to be you of all people. 

If I was trolling i'd post about the Donald Trump rally I attended the 15th in New Hampshire. Almost 20,000 people. Knowing how controversial he is.  How about Epstein?  He's probably as controversial as it gets. But what would that gain?  5 minutes of internet fame?  Make everyone mad and fighting.  I keep troll stuff off this page. I don't because I know it can hurt the forums.  I'm not seether.  Anything I post, I believe. Anything I post happened.  Period.  And I actually care.  About so many people on here who wait for the slightest moment for me to slip to scoff at me all the damn time.  And i'm actually for the first time hurt and offended on this forum.  Which doesn't happen often.

Should I take a picture of the life alert machine?

Or how about the sign that I ordered in light of this event? Because I could barely sleep thinking robbers were going to kick in and hurt my wife. 

Or the Camera that I ordered because I was concerned. Came yesterday in it's Amazon Box (I'm probably going to return it now.  Paid 110 dollars just for this thread. Just for oldgamerz. Trolling matters that much to me)

What an incredible poet I am.  Making shit up as I go.  I should have the Aliens invade in the next chapter.  Turns out it was Aliens who broke in the whole time.

Not like I owe you anything. What proof is their anyway except for common respect for someone.  Trust. Whatever helps you sleep at night.  But please don't ever in your life say that I am lying about weather or not my family is in danger for a rise on the internet.  Because you might as well spit in my face. Please oldgamerz, think before you speak for the love of everything.  You remind me of the Asian girl from orange is the new black.  I know you mean well.  And we've gotten along so far.  I really genuinely like you.   So let's just get back to that and less of the accusations. 

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2019, 02:07:41 pm »
I apologize everyone.  I got carried away.  I know you probably didn't mean it oldgamerz. I'm just pretty tired and upset.  I'm sorry for getting mad.  :)

Everyone have a great weekend :D.   

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2019, 02:24:27 pm »
Ok I'm sorry
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2019, 08:24:34 pm »
it's a good thing nothing got stolen

If i am looking at the pictures of the first post especially the lock it seems really old.

shitty locks are the kind of stuff wich burglars look for.

In my country every new lock doorhinges windows etc are rated and the good ones have quality marks wich are recommended by the police. Those are the kind of locks burglars usually avoid since they are much harder to deal with and delay them by a ton. Only if they have a very good reason they might attempt it since the risk of getting caught is allot bigger. obviously a ton of people just buy normal locks and hinges since they are cheaper and good enough so yea.

Most burglars choose easy targets. rarely does a burglar specificly target a house no matter what unless they have a ton of info on the goods that are inside wich rarely is the case or know when you are on a holiday etc. or if they know you have good stuff even when well protected they will risk it no matter what like in wartoy's case. since in most houses the loot ain't that big and not worth the risk.

if it takes to much effort to get in, there is to much risk for the burglar to get caught. burglars won't even attempt to try than since they can find a more easy target with little risk.

a good lock etc is the first barrier that prevents a burglar from even attempting breaking into the house at all. a security system is usually used when the burglars already got in and most of them are cracked in no time at all. a 2nd barrier so to speak. your door etc is usually already damaged than so having good rated locks and hinges are a solid first investment.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:38:27 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2019, 08:34:12 pm »
Glad to hear that you've found the answer as to who mysteriously broke into your house. My aunt never did find anything for her case, and pertaining to a recent but different situation, I am still searching for the group of individuals who keyed my car at the shopping mall. I couldn't even claim it under insurance as the cost of damage was assessed to be way below excess which meant that I'd be paying a lot more out of pocket if I had chosen to let the insurance company handle this. No note was left and that deep scratch is still present to this day, as I can't afford to repaint the car/replace the scratched part at the current moment.

It's truly bizarre how the police did not even leave a formal/proper note or tried to call you through an alternative phone number. This is quite unprofessional on their part and I hope things work out for you in this regard. If you have yet to return it, the camera that you've bought is still a great investment and I would recommend using it for its intended purpose just as a precautionary measure.

Warmsignal

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2019, 08:58:52 pm »
I still never hurts to have some measure of home security. I wouldn't return everything just because it was a false alarm. Everyone can benefit from having alarms, cameras, etc.

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2019, 09:09:56 pm »
No note left behind or a temporary band-aid for the kicked in door?
At least it explains why nothing was stolen.
Kind of sad that not one person who lives around you asked anything.

I know, it's so bizarre.  They could have at least left a note.  And why on earth am I held to fixing a 600 dollar door and door frame over the city police's actions lol.   Of course i'd never win a suit. 

I just am so confused by all of this mess. 

The life alert machine was never pressed.  We were out for dinner with her.  Maybe she brushed the necklace button thing?  Phones were turned off because of dinner.  So maybe that's why they had no other choice.  I'm in a way glad it worked but also annoyed.  I since reinforced the door frame but the door looks like shit now.  And has splits.  Now if a real robber comes they'll kick it in easier. 

It explains so much though,  first that they didn't just climb through a window or go through the 1st or 3rd floor.
Don't expect to get reimbursed by the city.  The extra security measures wouldn't hurt anyways.

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2019, 06:22:43 am »
How do these security cameras work? Do they store their data on a memory card, so anyone can just take that bugger out with a grin or do they export it into the cloud so that being cought actually means being cought? Although these pesky privacy concerns...
Network cable would be weak too as you just need to follow the cable and take down the server. A well hidden WiFi Server is a bit more tricky to detect.

Hope you find a good use for the camera if you decide to keep it. As the others already stated, it doesn't hurt to have some extra safety gear.

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2019, 06:03:35 pm »
How do these security cameras work? Do they store their data on a memory card, so anyone can just take that bugger out with a grin or do they export it into the cloud so that being cought actually means being cought? Although these pesky privacy concerns...
Network cable would be weak too as you just need to follow the cable and take down the server. A well hidden WiFi Server is a bit more tricky to detect.

Hope you find a good use for the camera if you decide to keep it. As the others already stated, it doesn't hurt to have some extra safety gear.

Sworddude's advice above is the best here.

Blurks- depends. Some feed directly to a PC or something of the like and you record locally.

Some are saved to cloud, some are sent via cloud to a security agency, some stream to your phone.

Wired is easier to take out, but anything before the damage is recorded. Anything sent to the cloud will be there before wifi is cut out. Honestly, they could use a signal jammer if they knew you had wifi….but does that REALLY ever happen??. Most of the time it's a petty crook or addict looking for the quickest, easiest score possible. If 007 wants your stuff, you are SOL. Even a non functioning security camera can be a deterrent.

As with others, glad to hear it wasn't thieves.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:13:40 pm by wolff242 »

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2019, 06:13:14 pm »
Sorry, meant to edit my post and quoted it instead. delete delete delete.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:14:54 pm by wolff242 »

shfan

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2019, 07:18:35 pm »
Bad- I just spent 110 dollars on a camera I didn't need. And lived in Parnoia for a week over nothing lol. 

I believe quite the opposite, since you've mentally 'gone there', failing to act on it would just have been a constant gnawing on your back-brain. You can shore up your home security and move on from it now.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2019, 10:22:28 pm »
I primarily use Ring. They have both doorbells and motion sensitive floodlight/camera combos.

I have 3 cameras that cover the entire perimeter of my home in 1080p.you can’t approach my house without being recorded to the cloud and I get notified instantly.

I also made it a point to be on a good first name relationship with my neighbors.

I know them. They know me and I don’t leave town without them knowing. We text each other complete with pictures if we see unexpected activity, deliveries, or “yard workers”.

I am fortunate in that the police for this area have a less than 5 minute response time.

All my immediate neighbors also have NEST or Ring.

So unless you came on foot, chances are, I have your plates and vehicle from multiple angles.

All important documents are in a blast, drop, fire, and water proof safe.

I rarely have any actual cash.

I have some rather unhinged and temperamental pets just aching for an excuse.

I also have other... undocumented motion and touch  activated surprises to await a would be thief.

Lastly, I have my home insurance properly tuned to the value of my possessions.

Nothing is foolproof.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:24:20 pm by dashv »