Author Topic: Create New Database Entry as Duplicate of Existing  (Read 12895 times)

Create New Database Entry as Duplicate of Existing
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:16:15 pm »
Basically I just want the text fields in the Submit New Item form (Step 2) prepopulated, rather than copy/pasting everything about an essentially duplicate entry where only minor adjustments are needed for the regional variant like title, rating, release date, etc. Ideally this would be implemented by allowing the search on the Submit New Item form (Step 1) to return results that are a partial title match but not a platform match (maybe include a broaden search checkbox so not to piss people off), and then having a link under or next to each item that says something along the lines of Add something like this, which, when clicked, would continue to the form (Step 2) as normal, but it would be prepopulated with the selected item's data rather than being empty, allowing you to make the minor changes more quickly. *welcomes automation*

Re: Create New Database Entry as Duplicate of Existing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:50:17 pm »
Don't be lazy! ;)
Such things will cause a lot of mess in the databes and it would be an extra job for Jason.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:56:55 pm »
Eh. It was worth a try.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 09:52:20 am »
It is a good idea, but limited in a way. There hasn't been that many times I've had to re-use data in that way, I think it would be a low priority request... but I think that it would definitely be a feature that would be required when/if this site ever moves to using objects instead of items.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 02:23:22 am »
You probably wouldn't encounter this issue a lot if you're in NA or EU, but I've only been a member of the site for about a week now and I've already encountered a dozen or so instances where I've needed to add AU variants, which just means I copy/paste everything, change the title if necessary, the rating, and maybe the cover art (or just download/reupload). Sometimes I'm not bothered and just add it as the NA version. Just seems like a bunch of unnecessary steps to me, and I don't think the ability to see the usefulness in some automation constitutes laziness.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:21:14 am »
All I seem to do is create variant entries!  :P

AU certainly needs some help. I've been working on some of the AU categories and the issue I run into is that I see games on lists but can't find a lot of pictures. I don't put a game onto the site if there is no proof that it exists. Especially with AU, where they often will have just EU PAL games sold there, with nothing different.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 05:47:59 pm »
Mm. Are photos taken with a phone acceptable as long as they're square-on and the lighting is decent? I don't have a scanner at home to do it properly.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 05:28:07 am »
Mm. Are photos taken with a phone acceptable as long as they're square-on and the lighting is decent? I don't have a scanner at home to do it properly.

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 10:30:19 am »

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html

Updated the image information to remove the PNG recommendation.