Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59811 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2019, 05:16:12 am »
And Chapter 7 is back on track in The Mandalorian.  I'm hoping the finale is abit of a longer one to deal with the end of the season, but it's a good setup here for sure.  Sucks we have to wait longer than a week for the last episode lol

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2019, 02:23:01 am »
The Mandalorian: Episode 7 - 8/10

I'm SO happy this show is getting back to the main story, and what an episode it was! Definitely some of the coolest action we've seen so far! The ending of this episode has me totally hyped for the final episode and I can't wait to see how everything that got setup in this episode plays out.

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2019, 09:49:54 pm »
I binged both The Righteous Gemstones and Watchmen over the last week, and they are both incredible in vastly different ways.

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2019, 03:30:35 am »
Finished the new season of The Expanse and it's solid stuff.  It's great that it was given a second chance at life as the story for everything keeps being interesting.  Though it's funny to see that with them off TV and on Amazon, they can do a few things they can't on TV, which basically amounts to people just saying the "fuck" a whole lot, almost comically so at a point with the UN councillor woman lol 

I do recommend the series if you haven't started, though the first...I think 5 episodes of the first season are weirdly rough, I actually stopped watching around then the first time before giving the series another shot, but once you get past that, its all good.

*EDIT*
Haven't been sleeping great, so binged another season of Bosch.  I will say that binging these probably aren't the best, because while it stays consistent, it also doesn't have a lot of big highs, so it sorta runs together at times.  Not bad at all, because it does keep being interesting and this season has a surprise or two, and while I am gonna watch Season 5, I am sorta hoping it takes things up another notch.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 02:48:17 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2019, 03:29:21 pm »
Finished the first season of The Sinner .  Good, but way more melodramatic than I expected.  Second season seems a little better so far.

« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2019, 11:23:07 pm »
Finished the first season of The Sinner .  Good, but way more melodramatic than I expected.  Second season seems a little better so far.

Season two was a hair better than the first, mostly due to cast and location changes.  Plus no idiot husband making the world’s worst decisions.

I watched all of the final season of Silicon Valley today.  There were some good laugh-out-loud moments, but it is a show that definitely lost its momentum and focus a couple of years ago.

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2019, 05:48:59 am »
Chapter 8 of The Mandalorian was a great end to this first season and I'm hoping they can continue to deliver on what is quickly becoming one of my favorite pieces of Star Wars media at least in terms of shows and movies.  On a smaller note for the show, I love seeing more good stuff with the Imperials, like we get to see a Death Trooper go hand to hand with Mando and we get this goofy little sit down with two Scout Troopers, and the ending I had to look up what it meant, but it actually involves something that showed up in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoon, so I'm definitely finishing up Rebels and then going to check out the Clone Wars cartoon.

Great show, can't wait for Season 2.

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2019, 05:27:03 pm »
The Mandalorian - episode 8: 9/10

This was an amazing finale to a show that really surprised me by its overall quality. Episode 8 was an excellent, action packed episodes that left season 1 on a satisfying note, while at the same time making want season 2 badly. Without spoiling anything, I thought the end was amazing and Mando as a protagonist is becoming one of my favorites, especially when stacked up against all original characters created since Disney took over.

As for the series as a whole, I'd give it a 7/10; to give some context to this score this is where I'd rate Phantom Menace and A New Hope as well. This is the best piece of new Star Wars we've got since Disney bought Lucasfilm, and is better than all the films. The closest anything has come so far is Rogue One, but The Mandalorian has the edge over it for having far better characters and overall a more interesting, well written story. Where The Mandalorian season 1 loses points is the 3 episodes in a row of filler episodes that contributed little to nothing to the overall plot; I feel like these episodes could be skipped entirely if you wanted and continuing from episode 3 to episode 7 would be nearly seamless. However, these filler episodes were not bad, and while it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, I can appreciate why a lot of people really enjoyed episode 6. However, if I was just judging episodes 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8, this show would be a solid 8/10, but unfortunately I have to take the bad with the good when judging it.

I will absolutely be buying this series on bluray when it gets the inevitable release on it, and I will be anticipating season 2 highly. Well done Disney, and for the record this is how you do good Star Wars.

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2019, 06:35:47 am »

Finally got around to finishing The Witcher and I think it's a pretty alright show.  Good fantasy movies/shows are honestly kinda rare even nowadays, stuff like this, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, etc, so I'm always looking for more that I think are entertaining (Need to get back to the Dark Crystal show).  I think the show overall is good, but it's a messy good.  I think it drags abit, though thankfully it's only 8 episodes, and it has an obnoxious timeline.  You don't notice there's one until a certain point and then it's bouncing between multiple points of time and I don't think it did itself any favors with it. 

Effects are mostly good, there's a point at the start where it feels a little sketchy and you worry that it won't be consistently well done, but I think it does well for the majority of the show.  I heard someone say that it gets to like "CW Super Hero" show level and that's not even slightly true.  You definitely won't have to worry about Supergirl tier CG here lol  Cavill also nails Geralt I think too, like I wasn't sure how they were gonna play him, but if you know him from the games, he's exactly that.

I've never been a Witcher fan, my only connection is Witcher 3 that I beat, and even then I wasn't in love with the game because the combat was a little iffy, so as someone just wanting a sword and magic based show, I enjoyed my time with the Witcher and I'm pretty interested in the second season as a better focused and paced story will do wonders for the show.

I'm actually gonna go and try and give the Witcher 3 a new shot after all this time, see if my views on the game has changed.  I even grabbed a mod that changed Geralt to the Cavill version pretty well to mix things up lol
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:40:23 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2019, 08:57:28 am »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 3 was alright.  I didn't care for the season long plotline about her parents, but Midge and Joel's stories were pretty good.  It was also nice to see Sterling K. Brown show up.  He's great in everything.

The Witcher was entertaining, but something about it felt off the entire time.  It simultaneously felt very expensive while also feeling really cheap in some places.  The performances were good, but took some getting used to.  Messy good is the perfect way to describe it.

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2019, 09:02:13 am »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 3 was alright.  I didn't care for the season long plotline about her parents, but Midge and Joel's stories were pretty good.  It was also nice to see Sterling K. Brown show up.  He's great in everything.

The Witcher was entertaining, but something about it felt off the entire time.  It simultaneously felt very expensive while also feeling really cheap in some places.  The performances were good, but took some getting used to.  Messy good is the perfect way to describe it.

I think them not having a distinct timeline of events, jumping back and forth between not just different stories, but different points of time while doing different stories, it made it hard to follow things.  Especially when they are talking about decades of time, but almost no one looks different aside from that one court mage that's friends with Geralt.  I think the second season can fix that, bring a focus to the show that it desperately needed.

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2020, 08:56:58 am »

I think them not having a distinct timeline of events, jumping back and forth between not just different stories, but different points of time while doing different stories, it made it hard to follow things.  Especially when they are talking about decades of time, but almost no one looks different aside from that one court mage that's friends with Geralt.  I think the second season can fix that, bring a focus to the show that it desperately needed.

The biggest issue with the timeline was as you pointed out, it wasn't clear they were doing different timelines until Episode Four, and then they didn't do a lot to make it explicit.  It wasn't played up as a twist or big deal, it just happened and was pretty confusing - and I had already heard there were timeline shenanigans in the show.  I agree that it looks like Season Two will have more focus there.

Watched all of The Boys Season One yesterday.  That was a fun and mean little show.  Can't wait for Season Two.

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2020, 09:39:44 am »
King of the Hill S11-12.  You can definitely feel the show running out of steam, but it’s not really bad.  There are still some really great jokes sprinkled throughout.

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2020, 03:50:16 am »
Finished season 5 of Bosch, the last of the available seasons.  I still think it's a solid enough cop drama, but it's also not really doing anything particularly new or different at this point.  I'm probably done with the show as I think it needs a new swerve to keep me going, so unless I hear something good about the new season, I won't be continuing.

Since I needed something else to dive into, I thought I'd give Vikings another shot as I saw it was still going.  I think I only watched Season 1 in the past, but just never continued on for whatever reason, so starting over and gonna see how far I go.  Got kinda in the mood for Norseman related stuff after playing Hellblade the other night and after Bosch, I could use something with a little more action going on to it.

This also reminds me that I'm super behind on Vinland Saga...hrmm...I might catch up on Vinland now that I think about it as I want to catch up on my anime if I can.

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2020, 02:02:38 am »
And binged through Vinland Saga, catching up to it as I had stopped a little over half way through and it's great.  It wasn't till the end that the title of it was "End of Prologue" that this was all a prologue and the main story actually dealing with "Vinland" is coming up lol It's a great anime with a good story.

Also ended up watching all of Infinity Train, a cartoon network show and it's pretty good.  Comes across a little like the wackiness you'd get with Adventure Time, but with more of an actual ongoing story like with Steven Universe.  I dug the humor and characters and the story works pretty well.