Author Topic: Game stop is planing to sell retro games in stores  (Read 4610 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Game stop is planing to sell retro games in stores
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 06:29:47 pm »
I've already seen this a few times, but not in my area yet. I feel indifferent about it, as I'm not really in the market to buy that many "retro" games anymore. Doubt they'll be getting any Saturn Bomberman in.

Re: Game stop is planing to sell retro games in stores
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 10:04:40 am »
I'd kind of like to see this in my area- but it's not likely to make me shop at Gamestop anymore than I already do.

One thing Gamestop kind of provides to the games it carries is a sort of price anchoring. If a title is readily available via Gamestop, It typically doesn't go for much more from other sources- because there's no reason to. Why spend $50 on a cart only game from Ebay, with the whole rigmarole of a dispute if it doesn't work, when you could get the same thing for $30 from Gamestop with a 30 day no hassle return? They'll always be things that cost more online, where you can make arguments for condition- but there's only so far you can go out from the Gamestop price before it looks greedy.

I wouldn't mind seeing this effect play out over the retro scene again. It wouldn't effect all games- anything rare enough that it's not always in-stock will still command whatever price the market will bear. It could certainly help with gouging on the common titles though.