Author Topic: So I Finally Decided to buy a Modern Console (A Gamestop Story)  (Read 10366 times)

mastodon

Be me. Decided to get a Switch so I can play Zelda BOTW, Mario Deluxe U, Mario Odyssey, Mario Cart. Switch V2 is out so, the time is now. I go to Gamestop. Zelda is $59.99 new. Its $54.99 USED. So I go to Walmart in the same parking lot. Brand new Zelda BOTW is $49.99. I ended up buying Zelda for $39.99 at a pawn shop. WTH Gamestop??? I wanted to help them by buying from them, since I know they're circling the drain.

I still need to actually buy the console though. Where should I buy? Walmart?

Re: So I Finally Decided to buy a Modern Console (A Gamestop Story)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 04:21:11 am »
Walmart randomly started selling $60 games for $50 earlier this year. Not really GameStop's fault for having the actual price and their used games are usually $5 less than new versions.

Buy the console at Best Buy. Walmart often puts returns right back on the shelf so someone may have swapped their old Switch for the new one and returned it.

Best Buy wouldn't disguise an opened product as new so it's a safe bet. If you do go with Best Buy be sure to sign up for a free My Best Buy membership so you get points towards gift certificates. You'll probably get $5-$10 with the console purchase alone which you could use towards Switch accessories or pretty much anything else from Best Buy.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 05:01:31 am »
As you're buying it in an off season (holidays are the best time to get the consoles because of all the sales and bundles), there's really no advantage of picking one major retailer over another.

Flashback2012

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 06:06:29 am »
Just buy the console from GameStop if they have it in stock. Even though it wouldn't be used, you still Power Up Rewards points for it.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 11:13:54 am »
If it's an option for you, buy the console at Costco- my understanding is they have better return policies.

As for Gamestop's pricing- BotW is a bad example, as Nintendo doesn't like to drop prices on their flapship games. Even cart-only copies on Ebay still run $45. But yes- their pricing for used games can be very silly if the title's new or desirable. You'll do much better on last-games.

Gamestop's in an odd position, in that they're the only game retailer in town, so we forget to treat them like a retail chain. Do you pay full price for a pair of pants at Macy's? No, you wait for a sale! Did I pay $40 for God of War on PS4 a few months after it came out? No, I bought during a pro day sale for $20! It all works a lot better that way- Gamestop for sales & clearance, other places for big titles that don't drop in price like first party Nintendo.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 11:14:10 am »
glad to hear :)

the Switch is probably one I would get, but I would probably not use it much.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 12:28:45 pm »
Just buy the console from GameStop if they have it in stock. Even though it wouldn't be used, you still Power Up Rewards points for it.
Best Buy is better. To get a $5 reward certificate without special promotions or a Pro membership would require spending $500 where at Best Buy it's half that at $250.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 01:17:21 pm »
Target gives you 5% off up front if you have the REDCard.

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 06:46:06 pm »
Best Buy is better. To get a $5 reward certificate without special promotions or a Pro membership would require spending $500 where at Best Buy it's half that at $250.

Outside of movies, Best Buy has essentially lost me as a gaming customer now that GCU is gone. Their rewards system only gives you half the points of a purchase on non-gaming items ($40 purchase only nets you 20 points instead of 40) and it's glacially slow at registering the points to your account. I have purchases I made within the last month that still haven't cleared yet.

GameStop usually has my point balance updated within a day or so. Also, I have their credit card and charge all my purchases from them to that which gives me 5K points for every $250 spent. I don't know if they even still offer it and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're good with credit cards (don't run up the balance and pay the card off every month).

As for BoTW's price at Wal-Mart vs. GameStop...that's not really GS's fault as Wal-Mart has the purchasing power of God whereas GS doesn't. If Wal-Mart is lopping off $$$ on Switch games, they're making it up on thousands of other products in their store. Also, I have to imagine they're paying just a little bit less than GS is to Nintendo because they're buying in MUCH higher quantities. The only upside is GS offers used which if you have the membership is 10% off, has a 7-day return for full refund and 30-day exchange. The $5 less than new has been a GS staple for decades now so it shouldn't come as a surprise. But that's all for naught as he found it cheaper than both places in a pawn shop.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 08:14:55 pm »

Outside of movies, Best Buy has essentially lost me as a gaming customer now that GCU is gone. Their rewards system only gives you half the points of a purchase on non-gaming items ($40 purchase only nets you 20 points instead of 40) and it's glacially slow at registering the points to your account. I have purchases I made within the last month that still haven't cleared yet.

GameStop usually has my point balance updated within a day or so. Also, I have their credit card and charge all my purchases from them to that which gives me 5K points for every $250 spent. I don't know if they even still offer it and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're good with credit cards (don't run up the balance and pay the card off every month).

As for BoTW's price at Wal-Mart vs. GameStop...that's not really GS's fault as Wal-Mart has the purchasing power of God whereas GS doesn't. If Wal-Mart is lopping off $$$ on Switch games, they're making it up on thousands of other products in their store. Also, I have to imagine they're paying just a little bit less than GS is to Nintendo because they're buying in MUCH higher quantities. The only upside is GS offers used which if you have the membership is 10% off, has a 7-day return for full refund and 30-day exchange. The $5 less than new has been a GS staple for decades now so it shouldn't come as a surprise. But that's all for naught as he found it cheaper than both places in a pawn shop.  ;D
I'm assuming OP does not have a GameStop credit card or Pro membership and he's looking to buy a Switch so he would get the normal amount of points.

Walmart isn't doing it for just Switch games. It's all $60 games for $50 and lower priced games are also discounted by a certain percentage that I don't remember. All of this is in store only unfortunately.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 08:26:26 pm »
Be me. Decided to get a Switch so I can play Zelda BOTW, Mario Deluxe U, Mario Odyssey, Mario Cart. Switch V2 is out so, the time is now. I go to Gamestop. Zelda is $59.99 new. Its $54.99 USED. So I go to Walmart in the same parking lot. Brand new Zelda BOTW is $49.99. I ended up buying Zelda for $39.99 at a pawn shop. WTH Gamestop??? I wanted to help them by buying from them, since I know they're circling the drain.

I still need to actually buy the console though. Where should I buy? Walmart?

Go to wherever has the best deal Walmart or GameStop. both of these stores have been good to me, and Walmart gets a lot of flak but they have some good electronics when they are in stock

I don't shop much a Best Buy or Target because Walmart and GameStop is closer so I don't know much about them :-\
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 08:47:40 pm »
If you can hold out for 3 months, I'm sure there will be many Black Friday Switch deals available.

Flashback2012

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 08:48:09 pm »

I'm assuming OP does not have a GameStop credit card or Pro membership and he's looking to buy a Switch so he would get the normal amount of points.

Walmart isn't doing it for just Switch games. It's all $60 games for $50 and lower priced games are also discounted by a certain percentage that I don't remember. All of this is in store only unfortunately.

I was just pointing out what benefits there are by having one. I automatically assume no one has it because it was offered and then rescinded in the blink of an eye. Who knew giving credit to less than credit worthy people would be a good idea?!?  :P

When I applied, it was more of as a joke to see if I got approved and was surprised that I did. I decided from the onset to use it responsibly and it actually helped raise my score to where I was able to get real credit cards like Discover and MC (which are also used responsibly  :)).

You don't need the CC to get the 10% off from GS, you just need to have an active sub to Game Informer. Costs $15/year which puts a lot of people off but if you spend $150 in used product (not counting systems) then it pays for itself. Had he went with Zelda through them it would have taken $5.50 off or about a third of the sub price right off the bat. I hate coming off as a schill for them but that's what 10 years of working there does to the brain's muscle memory.  :P

Then again, I've had many a customer who purchased well more than the sub's price in one trip and refuse it because they didn't want the company to have their information or something.  :o

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 10:07:08 am »
You don't need the CC to get the 10% off from GS, you just need to have an active sub to Game Informer. Costs $15/year which puts a lot of people off but if you spend $150 in used product (not counting systems) then it pays for itself.

It's also worth noting you earn points you can trade in for discounts- and 15,000 points nets you a free pro renewal. It's 20 points per dollar at pro, so $750 to earn a free year not accounting for bonus earning periods. I have a couple different people who use the account I'm on, and we haven't had to actually pay for our renewal for a few years now.

Not for everyone, but worth considering.

Go to wherever has the best deal Walmart or GameStop. both of these stores have been good to me, and Walmart gets a lot of flak but they have some good electronics when they are in stock

THIS- seriously, brand loyalty is for chumps. The chains do not care about you! Buy from whoever is giving YOU the best deal, regardless of who it was last time!

mastodon

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 05:35:03 am »
If you can hold out for 3 months, I'm sure there will be many Black Friday Switch deals available.

I cant wait. Its calling my name. ;D

I will not be getting many games though. Just Mario games, zelda, maybe some retro nes games from the eStore that are now online. These things, although new, will have that retro feel bc of the IP's. I do want to pickup Octopath Traveler. Looks like an interesting 2D Squaresoft RPG. I was interested in Bloodstained ROTK on Switch but I hear its 30fps. I have it on Steam and its 60fps. I hate digital games though.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:42:49 am by mastodon »