Author Topic: Title Screen Vs. Ending  (Read 1532 times)

Title Screen Vs. Ending
« on: September 04, 2019, 12:02:24 pm »
Swiping this topic from Atariage- especially with retro games, developers often don't have the memory resources to put in everything they'd like. Obviously the bulk should go to the actual game, but which is more important to get those lovely, limited data bits- a big, splashy intro screen to suck you in, or an explosive finish to cap the game off?

kashell

Re: Title Screen Vs. Ending
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:08:23 pm »
Another "it depends on the game" situation, haha.

But, I usually like seeing the explosiveness at the end to cap the game off.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 03:58:02 pm »
I like a pretty intro and a simple "The End"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 05:21:45 pm »
Generally I like a big ending to reward you for investing yor time.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 06:14:27 pm »
I feel like Ninja Gaiden and more so II nailed their intros and outros.

Gave a good taste of what you could expect. Set the tone for the game then followed through to the spectacular end.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:17:13 pm »

this

an ending to most games is always a good thing, It give you something to look forward to and sometimes to prepare yourselves for a sequel. But some games never end like the Simcity series, and The Sims series for the PC.

question was super mario bros the NES original the first real game to have an ending?

I am not too sure if any Atari2600 games had much an ending though, in which is just flashing colors or sound or something if you ever reach the end of an atari 2600/VCS game?
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 11:42:05 pm »
I love myself some good intro screens, and the Metal Gear Solid series is usually the master in this aspect for me.
However, I'd take the simple, and yet satisfactory final message of some retro games over a modern fancy intro screen anytime.

In this regard, for me, the best is the final screen of Enduro Racer on the Master System:

“Enduro” is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race. The results are insignificant and what really counts is competing. Of particular importance are the lessons to be learned concerning one’s self from the various encounters you experience along the way. There is no victor or loser in this test of endurance. The only thing that really matters is that you make a commitment to begin the long and trying trek. This game is then dedicated to all of the “life riders” who have started out on the solitary trip to find their own individual limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAku53ZQZOg

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 01:25:07 pm »

this

an ending to most games is always a good thing, It give you something to look forward to and sometimes to prepare yourselves for a sequel. But some games never end like the Simcity series, and The Sims series for the PC.

question was super mario bros the NES original the first real game to have an ending?

I am not too sure if any Atari2600 games had much an ending though, in which is just flashing colors or sound or something if you ever reach the end of an atari 2600/VCS game?

Journey Escape for the Atari 2600 had an ending animation and song that was actually a loop from one of their albums.

It was pretty cool at the time.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 08:08:57 pm »
Damn this is a tough question :)

I think I will have to go with a gorgeous, heavy hitting intro.  I mean it has to be magnificent.  Anything less and i'll choose ending.  But the reason I choose intro is kingdom hearts and final fantasy X.   Jesus Christ was Square out of their mind with PS2 intros.  It's cinematic and luring, and captivating, and beautiful and simply just art in the purest sense.

These 2 just set the pace for 2 of the best adventures in gaming history :)

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 07:37:58 pm »
An intro I feel is far more important, as that will set the tone for the game. I’d rather have a good, captivating intro to get me pumped for the game I’m about to play.

But following kashell’s answer, it’s pretty much a case by case basis.

marvelvscapcom2: Those two intros truly grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I remember playing those two non-stop until the very end. Excellent games.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!