Author Topic: How does everyone feel about Terry in Smash?  (Read 3483 times)

afroyoshi

PRO Supporter

How does everyone feel about Terry in Smash?
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:43:33 am »
Terry Bogard got announced for Super Smash Bros: Ultimate and I was pretty excited about it, but it seemed like most people didn't really care all that much. So I'm just curious what ya'll think about the announcement

azure

Re: How does everyone feel about Terry in Smash?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 01:43:22 am »
I care a lot, Terry is my favorite FF/KoF character.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 01:48:40 am »
Super boring pick.

ferraroso

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 02:30:00 am »
How I feel about Terry in Smash:
Love Terry
Hate Smash

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 02:36:55 am »
It's a good pick for sure. I'm not personally excited about him, but is he worthy of being in this game? Oh absolutely.  Dude's been around nearly as long as Street Fighter and has been in dozens of games.  I find it weird that so many people don't even know him.  Sure, Fatal Fury doesn't really exist anymore and King of Fighters isn't as big as Street Fighter, but he's not some obscure character in terms of gaming history.  Younger folks might not recognize him as much, but he's far more notable than Geno that so many people want.  Heck, he makes a hell of a lot more sense than Joker lol

Flashback2012

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:23:32 am »
Super boring pick.

>:( DOWNVOTE!!  >:(

I'm of mixed feelings about him being in the game. At this point with so many guest companies having a character in the game, it's nice that SNK was invited to the table. I personally am happy he was included but could have seen if maybe Haohmaru or Nakoruru might have snuck in since they just released the new Samurai Shodown game. I'm drawing a blank on who might be more recognizable character SNK could have went with and no one is coming to mind.

Hopefully Terry's inclusion will help SNK get back to the forefront. What NEEDS to happen is they collaborate with Capcom again. They need to do three different games, a Capcom VS. SNK 3 on Switch, SNK VS. Capcom 2 on Xbox and a King of Fighters VS. Street Fighter on PS4/5.  ;D

I imagine at some point he'll get an Amiibo? I'm still rather miffed I missed out on Isabelle this last go around.  >:(

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 08:55:32 am »
My only hope is they include female Terry as an alternate costume type deal.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 09:55:20 am »
terry is the face of SNK.

No brainer excellent pick worthy character of being in smash.

terry is the ryu of SNK in terms of status.

There is no no other snk charater that is that well known aside from maybe marco and tarma back in the day when metal slug was a thing. metal slug is kinda a dead franchise though in terms of modern games.

back in the day snk was btw not that much below capcom pretty close.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:58:16 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 09:56:42 am »
I'm not a big Smash fan, but I like seeing the announcements & how they play out- and this was a great reveal trailer! Having the invite bounce through the hands of various SNK characters (most of whom I'd seen come up as preferred options online) was a great homage/tease for fans. Terry's the obvious choice, of course- easily the most iconic SNK character. Mai Shiranui might have the clout for a pick too, but I think her... physics would be hard to get right in a E-rated Smash game. ;)

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 09:59:50 am »
I'm not a big Smash fan, but I like seeing the announcements & how they play out- and this was a great reveal trailer! Having the invite bounce through the hands of various SNK characters (most of whom I'd seen come up as preferred options online) was a great homage/tease for fans. Terry's the obvious choice, of course- easily the most iconic SNK character. Mai Shiranui might have the clout for a pick too, but I think her... physics would be hard to get right in a E-rated Smash game. ;)

considering that zero suit and especially bayonetta are in i don't think mai would be that much of an issue. there is nothing e rated about bayonetta  ::)

Not to mention that quite some old snk western ports had the jiggle physics cencored anyway. still while mai is very popular in the snk franchise it's unlike considering that chun lee ain't in. with most non nintendo franchises only the most iconic characters are picked.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:02:16 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 12:24:54 pm »
It's an interesting choice.

I haven't played a game that featured Terry in years.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 03:42:19 pm »
I'm not the biggest Terry fan; he's never been one of my goto characters in any SNK game he's been in. However, what I am very excited about is SNK finally having a presence in Smash! And don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to see how Terry plays, but more so I feel like bringing SNK to the fold opens up a ton of possibilities for other characters from that company to make their way into Smash. I feel like at least one of the remaining Smash DLC characters will be another SNK character. My guess is either Kyo, Nakoruru, or Haohmaru. Regardless I'm freakin stoked about Terry, any future SNK characters in Smash, and that we're getting way more DLC fighters :D!!!!

Flashback2012

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 07:08:37 pm »
I'm not the biggest Terry fan; he's never been one of my goto characters in any SNK game he's been in. However, what I am very excited about is SNK finally having a presence in Smash! And don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to see how Terry plays, but more so I feel like bringing SNK to the fold opens up a ton of possibilities for other characters from that company to make their way into Smash. I feel like at least one of the remaining Smash DLC characters will be another SNK character. My guess is either Kyo, Nakoruru, or Haohmaru. Regardless I'm freakin stoked about Terry, any future SNK characters in Smash, and that we're getting way more DLC fighters :D!!!!

I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if we got any additional SNK characters beyond Terry. I think Nakoruru would be a good fit if they did add another or maybe Athena but I think she's too obscure. I'd really like to see Bomberman make it to full time but I doubt that's going to happen. I'm not holding by breath but I would at least hope Shantae gets considered along with characters like Rayman and Shovel Knight.

Anywho...so I got curious as to how many characters from other companies we're up to now...

Microsoft/Rare - Banjo & Kazooie
Konami - Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Solid Snake
SNK - Terry Bogard
Sega/Platinum - Bayonetta
Sega - Sonic the Hedgehog
Atlus - Joker
Namco - Pac-Man
Square-Enix - Cloud, "Hero" from DQ
Capcom - Mega Man, Ryu, Ken

If you had told me when Melee was out we'd have so many guest characters in a Smash game one day I would have called you crazy. Hell, it was wild enough when it was just Snake and Sonic in Brawl.   :P

aliensstudios

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 07:14:13 pm »
I'm at the point where I don't really care who they add to the game. I think all of the characters I could ever want are in it already. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate isn't really a game I'm hyped for (nor have I ever really been hyped for), and I don't really go out of my way to play it anyways, meaning I'll only really play it if friends want to. In terms of the way the game plays and feels it's probably my least favorite except for the original. In terms of the DLC they've announced I think Terry is a cooler character than Joker or Piranha Plant though.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »
Super boring pick.

>:( DOWNVOTE!!  >:(

I'm of mixed feelings about him being in the game. At this point with so many guest companies having a character in the game, it's nice that SNK was invited to the table. I personally am happy he was included but could have seen if maybe Haohmaru or Nakoruru might have snuck in since they just released the new Samurai Shodown game. I'm drawing a blank on who might be more recognizable character SNK could have went with and no one is coming to mind.

Hopefully Terry's inclusion will help SNK get back to the forefront. What NEEDS to happen is they collaborate with Capcom again. They need to do three different games, a Capcom VS. SNK 3 on Switch, SNK VS. Capcom 2 on Xbox and a King of Fighters VS. Street Fighter on PS4/5.  ;D

I imagine at some point he'll get an Amiibo? I'm still rather miffed I missed out on Isabelle this last go around.  >:(
I think it says a lot that a Mii Fighter Costume is extremely more popular than a full new character.