Author Topic: Your Favorite Era Of Racing Games Or Kind Of Racing Games/Type  (Read 2335 times)

Your Favorite Era Of Racing Games Or Kind Of Racing Games/Type
« on: October 03, 2019, 10:52:02 pm »
currently I have the most likeness and nostalgia for 1990's to early 2000's type of racing video games.

Lately I been having a blast playing mid 1990's early 2000's 5th generation console racing games, I've just realized that their is a TON of racing video games in the 1990's including some of the best and worst racing games and even arcade cabinets.

but after the 5th console generation of racing video games as well as the 3D PC racing games of the 1990's racing seems to have lost it's taste. In my opinion.

I love "Need For Speed High Stakes" in which it's the 4th Need For Speed video game ever released

that is one of the video games I'm currently playing for PlayStation 1 and I recommend it.The same game is also known as
"Need for Speed: Road Challenge" in Europe and South America. It's like the first 2 Gran Turismo game except this Need for Speed game is not all focused on racing and developing a car. gran turismo is still better, but

Need for Speed High Stakes also has a hot pursuit mode where you try to run from police or become the police and try to stop fast cars dead in their track, their is also a test drive mode but I never tried that yet.

if you don't know what to write than just name a series of racing games you like the best. and what era this game was in

(edit)
I prefer mostly car racing currently Need for speed is a car racing video game

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:57:26 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

Re: Your Favorite Era Of Racing Games Or Kind Of Racing Games/Type
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:53:39 pm »
Early and mid 2000s

- NFS Underground
- NFS Underground 2
- NFS Most Wanted
- NFS Hot Pursuit 2
- Gran Turismo 3
- Gran Turismo 4
- Extreme G3

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 12:25:41 am »
Generally I mostly just like arcade racers like the early Burnout games, Split/Second, the Rush series, and kart racers like Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing, or Sonic All-Star Racing.  It's a type of racing genre that really doesn't exist that much anymore unfortunately.  Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit from back in the day on PC was another one I thought was great.

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 01:01:46 am »
For sure the late 90s Midway games are probably my favorites. Arcade style is best.

Cruis'n, Rush, and Top Gear series, Beetle Adventure, Stunt Racer, Wipeout, and then there were others like Test Drive, Sega Rally, Ridge Racer, Road Rash, Xtreme G. Just so many good ones.

Second to that, the early 90s had a lot of great racers too, like the Off Road series, Mario Kart (and it's many clones), F-Zero, Top Gear, Outrun, Rock N Roll Racing, etc.

I did enjoy some of the early 2000s games like the Underground NFS era, Midnight Club, and Project Gotham were all pretty okay. The era of the racing sim, is what did me in.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 07:19:12 am »
moved post to own thread
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:40:06 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:14:56 am »
My favorites in no particular order are:

Need for Speed: High Stakes (Hot Pursuit mode was great and High Stakes mode was innovative)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (Improved Hot Pursuit mode, great soundtrack, and loved the branching tree story mode)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) (Greatly improved pursuit mode, crash mechanics introduced, open world introduced)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) (Improved pursuit mode, introduced battle mechanics)
Mario Kart 64 (Fun party style racer)
Forza Horizon series (Great locales, great open world with collectibles, and great racing)
Test Drive Unlimited 2 (Personally for me, this game felt like a precursor to the Forza Horizon games)
Rush 2 U.S.A (Individual levels were rather sandbox and had little mountain dew collectibles that would unlock stuff.)
Rush 2049 (Stunt mode is still fun to this day)
Road Redemption (Road Rash with roguelike elements)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 01:58:02 am »
NFS 3 and NSF 2 SE for PC blew me away.

Burnout 2 and 3 re-invented the genre for me.

Forza Horizon is almost great.

I think the real future for games like this is proper VR treatment.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 10:32:16 am »
I only really like games that have a proper damage model. So that is going to be things like these:

Carmageddon, Carma 2, TDR 2000
Destruction Derby, Destruction Derby 2 (DDA didn't really live up to the series IMO)
FlatOut, FlatOut 2

other mentions
Sierra's NASCAR series, NASCAR 07 to a degree
Burnout releases on PS2

Not particularly F1 games, I never liked or got the hang of how you were supposed to corner in those cars.

Daytona CCE was good for arcade racers. Daytona USA Arcade as well, up until the point where I outgrew the cabinet.

stealthrush

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 02:13:43 pm »
Sega Arcade racers, 90s arcade racers in general.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 04:43:04 pm »
1.R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ps1
2.Gran Turismo 3 Ps2
3.Mario Cart 64 N64
4.Burnout Revenge Xbox or Xbox360 (so much fun)
5.Forza Xbox
6.Import Tuner Challange Xbox360
7.Forza 2 Xbox360 (my favorite Forza game)
8.Ridge Racer 7 Ps3
9.Pro Racer Xbox360
10.Grid Ps3 or Xbox360

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 06:00:24 pm »
I only really like games that have a proper damage model. So that is going to be things like these:

Carmageddon, Carma 2, TDR 2000
Destruction Derby, Destruction Derby 2 (DDA didn't really live up to the series IMO)
FlatOut, FlatOut 2

other mentions
Sierra's NASCAR series, NASCAR 07 to a degree
Burnout releases on PS2

Not particularly F1 games, I never liked or got the hang of how you were supposed to corner in those cars.

Daytona CCE was good for arcade racers. Daytona USA Arcade as well, up until the point where I outgrew the cabinet.

Thanks for the reminder! I also enjoyed Destruction Derby! Whoahhhh! He won’t forget that in a hurry!

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 10:54:10 pm »
I don’t play a ton of racing games, but if I’ve got to answer it’s Burnout 3: Takedown, which I’d still argue is one of the best games ever made.

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 12:45:10 am »
Though they don't have the fancy graphics of later games, I really enjoyed R.C. Pro Am I and II on the NES.

Those have been my favorite racing games besides the Mario Kart series every generation.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 01:14:43 pm »
The mid 90's arcade era got me into racing games. Virtua Racer, Daytona USA, and RUSH were some of my favorites. I think San Francisco RUSH was one of the most played games on my N64. Now-a-days I think I mostly play late 80's early 90's racing games like Super Hang-on, Road Rash, and Rad Racer (F-1 for GB was pretty great too!). I had a cockpit and racing wheel for my N64 back in the day that I wish I still had. My dad had one too and we would race together.

I remember when the first Fast-and-Furious movie dropped and Need for Speed Underground happened. Oh geeze, I played the heck outta that game. I dropped off racing games after that. I'm trying to break in to modern sim racing games, being a motorsport fan in general, but so far TT games and Rally games are the only ones that I'm enjoying, mostly because you only compete with yourself.

Also, Mario Kart 64. Just an awesome game with awesome memories of seemingly endless sleepovers.

TLDR: My list:
- San Francisco Rush
- Daytona USA
- Virtua Racer
- Mario Kart 64
- Need for Speed Underground
- Super Hang-on
- Road Rash II
- Rad Racer

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 09:53:28 am »
This pretty much says it all.

Kart racing is also a favorite of mine, as well as racing games that incorporate vehicular combat.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!