Author Topic: Early Game Boys Vs. Sega Game Gears: And Other Handhelds Discussion  (Read 5360 times)

I played both an origional Game Boy and A Sega Game Gear, and I really don't have a favorite one over the other. Because my dad bought me both handhelds growing up, I loved my see through Original Gameboy, it was fun and It could play it longer on the go

but when my dad bought me a Sega Game Gear I was amazed and loved it, because I did like the color screen better had an ac adapted and even a magnifying glass. I never like how the Sega Game Gear would eat up 6 AA batteries in such a shorter time then then my GameBoy

"MY PROS AND CONS OF SEGA GAME GEAR VS ALL GAMEBOYS"

GAME BOY PROS AND CONS:

The Sega Game Gear took 6 AA was heavy and wide. and didn't last as long on the go, as the Gameboy handhelds did without a change of batteries. or in the GBA SP's instance a recharge. The GameBoy rivals only needed 4 AA batteries.

Both these handhelds and every single Game boy and Sega Game Gear to my knowledge can both be plugged into a wall and use batteries. The early GameBoys before the Advanced SP didn't have a back-lit screen unlike it's rival handheld  the Sega Game Gear

I need to re-explore the Gameboy Advanced SP. they are back lit, and can be plugged into a wall and Gamecube? I think? but only with both the special cord and a special disc. also a Game boy original cartridges can be plugged into this special SNES cartridge for Super Nintendo use. unlike the Sega Game Gear Handheld to the Sega Genesis or Sega's Master System.

also the GameBoy lineup had more games I think than the Sega Game Gear ever had

GAME GEAR PROS AND CONS

Graphically speaking, the original GameBoy and Gameboy color could not compete graphically to the Sega Game Gear though. I just did some research on the Sega Game Gear and someone said that Game Gear games even had more colors. Than both the Sega Master System and the Sega Genesis consoles could handle.

GAME GEAR GAMES
are best played plugged into a wall and using a magnifier.

Sega F-15 Strike Eagle is better on the Game Gear than on the Genesis, other than that it's pretty much the same experience as the Genesis console,

Original Game Boy Games are better when you have sunlight also Gameboys tend to be more reliable the the Sega Game Gear.

I prefer the game Gear's arcade ports like Mortal Kombat for the Game Gear Instead of the Mortal Kombat game for the gameboy their is a big difference from what I remember

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:31:35 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

Re: Early Game Boys Vs. Sega Game Gears: And Other Handhelds Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:43:54 am »
Gameboy has games that are excellent the entire megaman lineup on gameboy are basicly just nes games and they look crisp and have great sounds and music. kirby's dreamland also a great example

game gear games are very pixelated while gameboy classic games where crisp looking. Game gear did not age well even if the games had full colours.

Game gear is not superior over master system

mortal kombat is better than on gameboy classic but even the game gear version is trash. and game gear does not have super great games such as gameboy.

Colour palette does not matter if the games grapics are less not to mention that handheld consoles even with better specs are always held back and have lesser results than their console counter parts even when they have less power and such. also let's not start about the sound on game gear that's way worse than them console counter parts. sound on handheld devices are nothing to write home about. aside from them nintendo gameboy/ color consoles with them pretty good 8 bit sound tracks. Only the gba could really compete in terms of sounds with them other retro consoles.

GBA had twice the power of snes yet the games on snes look better. allot gets lost to make games on handheld consoles. inferior ports of yoshi's island and mario world lesser sounds lesser grapics  etc.

Sega F-15 Strike Eagle is better on the Game Gear than on the Genesis, other than that it's pretty much the same experience as the Genesis console,

Original Game Boy Games are better when you have sunlight also Gameboys tend to be more reliable the the Sega Game Gear.

I prefer the game Gear's arcade ports like Mortal Kombat for the Game Gear Instead of the Mortal Kombat game for the gameboy their is a big difference from what I remember

could you explain to me why game gear version is better than genesis version because I'm not seeing it. game is trash on both consoles but the differences are big and I don;t see how the game gear version is better.

Game gear version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLlCr5esD0

genesis version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-bNrcfC6qg
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:00:38 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:00:30 pm »
I have not played either handheld in over 20 years so I apologize if I sounded a little harsh on the Gameboy the post is based on my memory as a child and over 20-25 years ago, All and all I am not into any handhelds that much F15 strike eagle 2 is absolute trash on the Genesis, But the first F15 strike eagle (edit) I am not sure if I was playing F15 strike eagle, but whatever fighter jet game it was a lot of fun from what I remember on the  Game Gear
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:08:55 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 02:00:38 am »
It's actually a shame the whole portable console war of the mid to late 90s looking back.  It was so much more of a fatal defeat to Sega than most aknowledge.   Could lead to a good portion of why they went under.   You had LCD screen, 6 battery having,  console graphic having,  TANKS,  selling millions less than A brick that you had to play under a lamp that was 10 years old.   Gameboy had like half the specs, and was old.  But it was a Gameboy.  You had to have one. 

And it's for the tried and true fact when it comes to Nintendo.   They are invincible with handhelds.   Especially in the 90s.

I don't usually say this on here because I know it'll offend people.  And it's only my preference.  And I don't want to be that console fanboy guy.  But quite honestly.  Sega was never even close to Nintendo in anything they made.  Even with their peak which is the Genesis in most people's eyes.    The Genesis isn't even close to the Super Nintendo imo.  It can't even sit at the same table.   Gameboy trumps Gamegear,   Trumps Nomad.     Then if we get into pinnacle gameboys like Advance SP.  Folding screen DS.   Boy the margain gets larger. 

Nintendo is unbeatable in handhelds.  They understand the simplistic formula of durability, convenience and first party exclusives.     PSP came close and PSP did well.   Vita got completely destroyed.   And nobody has even taken an attempt since.

Then Nintendo surprises the world and releases the most powerful handheld console of all time.   Nintendo Switch.   Which is also a home console but with the new Switch Lite,  it's portable only.   And is completely untouchable.   

Nintendo has made a lot of mistakes in their life.  But never in the handheld world imo.   

kashell

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 08:40:32 am »
We were a Nintendo family going up. So, no experience with a Game Gear other than playing my friend's.

I'd still like to get one for myself someday. I think I have a GG title on my 3DS, haha.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 09:12:08 pm »
FIVE EARLY LATE 1980'S AND EARLY 1990'S HANDHELD GRAPHIC COMPARISON

In case you do not know the original game-boy really had a green screen but the games were fun

WARNING I FOUND THESE PHOTO LINKS OVER THE INTERNET, (FIVE PHOTOS MAY NEED TO LOAD)

Gauntlet (Tiger Electronics handheld game)

"TETRIS" GAME BOY ORIGIONAL  1989

Atari Lynx was released in (1989)
Blue Lightning for Atari Lynx

Sylvan Tale on Game Gear
The Game Gear Handheld was released in(1990)

Can't Find Game Title On Internet
TurboExpress  released in the year(1990)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:40:38 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 10:53:46 pm »
Well, if you stick to the specs only and considering that it can play any TurboChip (HuCard) released for its big brother, I would say the TurboExpress (PC Engine GT) would maybe the best handheld of its generation.

However, since the Sega's 8-bit console is my favorite ever and the Game Gear is basically a portable (and somewhat improved) Master System, I have to stick with it!

By the way, the game shown in this pic is Bonk's Adventure (PC Genjin).

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 03:45:57 am »
I do think is Gameboy Advanced SP is the best Game Boy that ever came out, since with either a regular GameBoy Advanced or the newer GameBoy Advenced SP models. You can play virtually every single Gameboy game that came out including GameBoy Color and GameBoy Original games as well as all GameBoy Advanced games :)

GameBoy Advanced SP Model example

regular un back lite version GameBoy Advanced

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 04:31:27 am »
Well, if you stick to the specs only and considering that it can play any TurboChip (HuCard) released for its big brother, I would say the TurboExpress (PC Engine GT) would maybe the best handheld of its generation.

However, since the Sega's 8-bit console is my favorite ever and the Game Gear is basically a portable (and somewhat improved) Master System, I have to stick with it!

By the way, the game shown in this pic is Bonk's Adventure (PC Genjin).

that's like saying that a sega nomad is a handheld console while clearly it's just a portable home console. it does not have a unique handheld game library

genesis has better specs than pc engine.

also the turbo express costed 250$ brand new i mean that was more pricy than a sega genesis home console at 189 or snes at 199 at the very beginning or it's big brother the home console turbografx at 199.

Obviously everything can be made high end if you have enough money to throw around. and if it is released a few years later.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:39:43 am by sworddude »

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 09:37:17 am »
I want that Gauntlet Tiger LCD now

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 09:52:45 am »
I just want to add that the NGPC is terrible due to not having a backlit screen.
But the Game Boy didn't seem to be an issue for me. Perhaps it is due to me not even using a Game Boy once I got a Game Gear.

If I recall, my first Game Boy was one of the color series that was sold in the clear plastic organizer. I didn't buy a Game Gear until around 1998 or so... which was the Majesco version. But I had played a lot of Game Gear when borrowing it from my friends or cousin.

The Turbo Express was a thing that I had only seen in magazines, and that one time it was in the Enemy of the State movie.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 01:31:18 pm »
I think by now my thoughts might already be known. I honestly kinda hate the Game Boy. I think it's a woefully bad system. I remember trying to play it, and having to pitch the screen in a certain direction towards the light just see it. Half the time the graphics were so lame and shrunk down you could barely tell what you were looking at. Nintendo didn't take portable gaming seriously back then, it was just a novelty. It was seen as a toy that kept kids quiet. Hence the name, Game Boy. It even sounds like a child's toy. It doesn't matter what titles it has, they were all abominations to play on Game Boy. You have to have the Game Boy player for TV, otherwise forget it.

Game Gear I never knew about until much later, and I felt cheated. I didn't play one until I got into game collecting, and even then I was very impressed with what it could do for an early 90s handheld. The games look great, IMO. Basically every other handheld I've researched or come across since has been infinitely more appealing than the Game Boy was. All of the competition should have stomped the GB, but the cheap price tag and tiny form factor of the Game Boy made it parent's number one choice for their kid... kind of like the Tiger handheld games.

Sure, the GG eats through batteries, but rechargeable batteries exist for a reason. There were also third party rechargeable packs you could buy for GG. Yeah, it makes it more bulky, but I don't see what the issue is with people's perception of size and handheld systems. Like, I don't want a handheld to be tiny anyways. I don't want to put a handheld system literally into my pocket. Nobody does that nowadays, nobody complains they can't fit their 3DS XL into their pocket and nor should they be trying to. You need to a get a proper travel case for it whether it's a Game Boy, or a Switch. Size in not an issue, and bigger screen is better. Color screen is better. Lit up screen is better. Graphical power is better, lol. All of which Nintendo has finally embraced in their approach to handhelds thankfully.

Nowadays, I don't play a lot of old-school handhelds, but when I get the craving to do so it's usually Game Gear. Which is a platform I still collect for, although not actively at the moment. I'm actually somewhat intrigued by the Lynx as well as the Neo Geo Pocket Color... and may consider starting collections for those at some point. Game Boy on the other hand, I don't collect for. Probably never will.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 02:20:48 pm »
It's kinda insane that people pay a ton of money for a backlit gba ags 101 wich was only slightly better but still with a small screen. the backlit difference was not that much better in my experience than a normal gba sp. it's just slightly better maybe you'll have a nice image with hars sunlight outside but probably not. besides when you play inside or at night you'll have the same image in most cases.

if I play an old school handheld 99 out of 100 times i use a gameboy player to play them on the big screen. It's like I'm playing a slightly lesser snes title obviously for different games that where not released on snes. gameboy player gives handheld games a totally different experience.

or if where going with non retro handhelds

i mean ds psp and 3ds are good especially the 3ds xl screen was a game changer for a decent size screen for handheld. it sure as hell increased my enjoyment for playing ds games on the 3ds xl

While switch is also is a handheld there is absolutely no reason for me to ever want to play that portable, tv only for me as far as switch goes. i would be pissed if i bought a switch lite only to find out that it's portable only if i where stupid enough to miss the fact that it was portable only.

backlit wasn;t that big of a deal back in the day you had some items that gave you the light that you would need wich where way cheaper than having a build in backlit. otherwise in the case of neo feo pocket you can always use a trusty reading light.

GBA is my number one handheld console for the simple fact that i can get a retro tv console experience thanks to the gameboy player aside from having an excellent 16 bit 2d library with a ton of exclusives not released on other consoles.
Classic DS comes in 2nd. even if it had the tv option it would not push gba of that spot but it's library ain't that far off. some excellent 2d games on here aswell all be it a hell lot less also some excellent 3d games but the grapics in those departments let's just say the ds ain't the greatest for 3d grapics.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 02:47:01 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 07:58:21 pm »
GBA>3DS>GB>GBC>GG>DS

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 10:30:17 am »
Game Boy over the Game Gear all day, any day. I got both as birthday presents (separately), and of the two, I used the Game Boy the most, while the Game Gear was essentially a waste of money. To this day my mom still throws jabs at me over how she wasted money on "that black brick", as she refers to it (it's sort of become a joke by now).

While the Game Gear, at the time, was something to marvel at because, oh my, it's in color, the Game Boy was, and still is far better, and has a wide variety of games, too. Don't get me started with the Game Gear capacitor thing.

Emulating the Game Gear on the other hand has been quite fun for me, I will admit. It has some cool gems.

I don't usually say this on here because I know it'll offend people.  And it's only my preference.  And I don't want to be that console fanboy guy.  But quite honestly.  Sega was never even close to Nintendo in anything they made.  Even with their peak which is the Genesis in most people's eyes. 
  The Genesis isn't even close to the Super Nintendo imo.  It can't even sit at the same table.   Gameboy trumps Gamegear,   Trumps Nomad.     Then if we get into pinnacle gameboys like Advance SP.  Folding screen DS.   Boy the margain gets larger.   

Yeah, I have to agree with you.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!