Author Topic: PS5 Officially Announced for Holiday 2020  (Read 4035 times)

Re: PS5 Officially Announced for Holiday 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 08:55:11 am »
Scarlett is also confirmed for Holiday 2020.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:17:15 pm »
I'll be honest- this announcement just kind of made me depressed. In absence of any actual game information, this is how I'm taking this:

-I have to start saving up money for consoles again, even though I won't have as much becuase I expect my health insurance costs to go up this year
-I don't have any more shelf room, I have to take something out. The VCR's an obvious choice, but if I get both I have to lose console(s) too
-If I take out the VCR, I have to buy a clock & find room for it
-My HDMI switcher is full, I'll need a new one. I don't know if I can find an 8-in HDMI switch. I don't want two, I already lost ports when my old TV died & have to switch between two boxes as it is
-My game cabinet is full. I have no room for more games. Where will I put these new titles? I'll have to get rid of more DVDs, or downsize my stereo.

Basically, until I have a good, concrete reason to get hyped (a game), all I see is a giant hassle. Game collector problems, I guess.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 08:38:10 pm »
The biggest features for me are backwards compatibility and the SSD.  No real need for a PS4 then and the improved load times are so important for games like Monster Hunter World (Literal hours could be saved if I had upgraded my HDD).

Game announcements would be great, but I figure they are waiting to do that at either a PSX event at the end of the year or something around spring next year.  They don't want to undercut games releasing this year and next, but I got a feeling games like Ghost of Tsushima will be getting a holiday PS4/PS5 simultaneous release due to how they've completely stopped talking about it.  But I'm basically guaranteed to pick it up anyways, because unless Microsoft does some ridiculous announcements, I have no real interest in switching back to the Xbox when we'll likely get a new Spider-Man, God of War, whatever Naughty Dog has planned after Last of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, hopefully Bloodborne 2, and whatever else planned as a Sony exclusive.  Xbox doesn't have a whole lot in comparison outside of Halo and a lot of their stuff is on PC anyways now.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:26:19 pm »
Kinda wanna see specs for these things.

I’ve barely used my PS4 Pro this gen (my son has used it al lot though.)

Been mostly Switch and Xbox One X.

I’m leaning more towards Scarlet because of the hint at cross generation BC.

As these consoles pile up the pain of library fragmentation and not enough space/hookups is real.

Gamer problems indeed.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 03:51:28 pm »
For modern gaming, I mainly use my Switch. I always look for a Switch option.

Hearing that it's BC is excellent news. I can get rid of my PS4 and it's jet-engine fan.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 04:26:30 pm »
I regretted early adopting PS4 and X1, so I probably won't get it or Scarlett early on regardless.

PS5 would have to be affordable, in no way be inferior to a PS4 Pro (meaning 100% compatibility and a major improvement over PS4 Pro playing PS4 titles), and boast compatibility with additional consoles (PS1/2/3).  I have the God of War PS4 Pro, I imagine I could sell that for a good chunk of cash towards a PS5 and just not need a PS4 anymore.

Scarlett would be a tougher sell as X1X is great and already boasts impressive BC capabilities.  Scarlett would need to provide full OG Xbox, 360 and X1 compatibility with improvements like provided on X1 and X1X.  I don't have a special edition X1X, but if I could sell it and replace it with a Scarlett I'd probably still be able to come out in a similar situation as PS5.

Either way, without some system selling game it's still a tough sell as just something that will play what I already can play, just better.  Switch I didn't regret because BotW was a system seller for me, even if the library was dead and empty for like the first year.  PS4/X1 didn't get a ton of use out of me during their first years.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 05:09:25 pm »
Unless Xbox does something notable with their system and has actual games to back it up, it's not gonna be a choice for me between the two.  Playstation has the games, while Xbox is incredibly lacking, and not too mention most of the games are coming to PC, so as a PC user, there's not a big incentive.  PC hits on the bulk of multi-platform stuff, Playstation is there for some real good exclusives, and Switch catches the tail end, despite having a rather lackluster selection of releases, but at least has the occasional benefits of portability.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 06:22:31 pm »
Man, I was hoping Next Box would come out this year. Maybe they'll have a change of heart since Sony is taking so long. I don't know why, but I'm placing my bets on Scarlet this time, especially if it comes out first.

Xbox One was ill-fated. Everyone has a rocky third console. Sega Saturn, N64, PS3, Xbox One. I dunno why, but I'm feeling more optimistic about it.

shfan

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 07:00:23 pm »
That's fine, I won't be looking to get one before 2022, there'll be plenty of PS4 games (and others) to keep me amused. I don't see the big hurry, frankly.

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 02:14:50 pm »
I just want the exterior to be different from the dev consoles. that crap looks hideous.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

soera

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 05:08:23 pm »
Am I going to own a P5? Yes. Will I sell PS4 stuff? No. Will I get one day one? No. I dont think there will be any launch titles that arent also on the PS4 but I could be wrong.

I am going to end my collection with the PS4. But I will continue to game on the P5.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 07:22:41 pm »
Im so excited!  Xbox Scarlett will be my go to out of the two. I'll try to muster up enough by then :)   I want to get it at launch,  so I better pre order soon. 

I wonder if the controller will be new or if they will go with the xbox one controller which is already pretty much the universal perfect controller.   I think it's gotten so incredible that slight tweaks might actually make it worst.  But i'd love to see some new features :D.   

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 07:27:13 pm »
Am I going to own a P5? Yes. Will I sell PS4 stuff? No. Will I get one day one? No. I dont think there will be any launch titles that arent also on the PS4 but I could be wrong.

I am going to end my collection with the PS4. But I will continue to game on the P5.

One of the only problems backwards compat causes is it extremely devalues PS4 hardware.  But it actually does the opposite for software.  The games will hold value much longer and possibly go up in value :)     I'm glad they gave you an option to play all your PS4 games.  Your collection is pretty stunning. 

I hope they do the same for Xbox.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 07:33:10 pm »
Man, I was hoping Next Box would come out this year. Maybe they'll have a change of heart since Sony is taking so long. I don't know why, but I'm placing my bets on Scarlet this time, especially if it comes out first.

Xbox One was ill-fated. Everyone has a rocky third console. Sega Saturn, N64, PS3, Xbox One. I dunno why, but I'm feeling more optimistic about it.

I agree :)   I doubt Xbox will ever sell more because they make a more specialized, expensive and less promoted console.  But I do think spec wise it will dominate out of the gate and hold it's own in NA much better than the one did.  The one launched horribly.  It forced you to have kinect,  was 100 bucks more and than the digital only mishap made it look bad.    But it might be 8k this time.  Which may attract the core hardcore gamer community.    I hope they do something big like sink a major exclusive. 

I suspect Nintendo will announce something way off the wall,  way out in left field this time around.  Maybe 2022.   Something like a hologram gaming or a console that turns into a hoverboard or something.    They seem to just be getting more bizzare each gen. 

I have a feeling sony will stay the most grounded after such a huge win with PS4.   I think they will not be looking to take risks.  I think PS5 will probably have modest specs.  Slightly better rendering and textures than the One X.   While scarlett will be 100 or 200 more and will probably be seeking to compete with high end PCs and fill a competition gaming niche. 

Idk though.   I just hope they make a really epic controller :)