Author Topic: Scenario: You order a game online and the disc is very badly scratched  (Read 1991 times)

The scratches were not disclosed and while you knew the item was second hand you didn’t expect large and multiple scratches all over.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being totally peed off), how annoyed are you?

Re: Scenario: You order a game online and the disc is very badly scratched
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:59:35 am »
Between 6 & 8, assuming the disc still plays, based on where online I bought it & just how bad the scratches are. I haven't run out of repair fluid yet, so I can always clean it up a bit.

If the disc doesn't play- 10, straight up.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 10:27:34 am »
Happening to me just now.

Bought three games from, hold your breath, Gamestop online. two worked great, while one would not boot at all. Looks terribly scratched, despite showing evidence (the white film stuff around the center of the disc) of refinishing. Not only am I pissed, but honestly I'm more po'ed by Gamestop's return system.

There is no online return initiation system. Their help knowledge-base is utterly useless, and I've called several times only to be put on hold for 30+ minutes each time and never actually speaking to anyone.

I've actually been a pretty ardent Gamestop advocate, for in-store interactions at least, but I can honestly say I will never buy a vintage (or otherwise) game from them online again.

I love Amazon's no questions asked return policy (so long as you buy the "prime" version; I usually pay a bit more but in this business getting no questions asked free product return is pretty essential). I'll have to go back to Amazon/Ebay I guess.

I guess I mean to say I'm normally not upset when the game is scratched/corroded/doesn't work as I'm usually okay with returning for a new one (if I waited decades to play a vintage game, I can wait a week or so for an exchange), but this Gamestop fiasco has reminded me why I don't normally buy vintage online. Normally 4-5, right now with Gamestop, 11...

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 12:08:05 pm »
^

That’s the worst. When you’re ordering from a company who shouldn’t be taking in badly damaged stuff to begin with. If it’s some random person on eBay that’s one thing but buying from companies is something else entirely.

I bought Mortal Kombat 11 online from a chain of pawn shops and the disc is junk, I imagine it ended up there because nowhere else in the right mind would take it. The only pic was the case and there was no indication of bad scratches in the description.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 06:03:44 pm »
Really annoyed, especially if I asked for them to make sure everything was okay first.

I was in a situation just like this the other day. Friggin' 3DS game for a good price, picture looks shady. There's a glare right on the corner of the label and it totally looks torn right there, like somebody put some tape over the edge of it. I send a message to them. The response? "No tear. Michelle". A total lie. I can clearly see with my own eyes the thing is torn.

How can they be that dumb? Or just plain dishonest? I'd be afraid to be dumb or dishonest on a site like eBay. You will get screwed, especially if there's proof you did a shitty job as the seller. I'm not buying it. But the seller is either lacking a few brain cells or is flat lying. They've received 3 negatives in the past month for condition not as described.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 06:12:36 pm »
I would say when it comes to buying online, don't even pay any attention to what the seller writes in the description or the condition they pick. They'll say anything to make it sound more appealing. Only buy when they've provided really good pictures where you can tell with your own eyes the condition. If they pull something shady like a really out of focus picture, leaving out certain parts of it, covering up corners, or anything like that. They're just trying to hide how bad it actually is, which is nuts. That's a dumb thing to do if you're selling at a market place. You can't get away with that, but lots of them try.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 06:44:20 pm »
I would be upset also that's part of the reason I refuse to buy games online.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 08:11:38 pm »
The scratches were not disclosed and while you knew the item was second hand you didn’t expect large and multiple scratches all over.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being totally peed off), how annoyed are you?

(edit) I would be vary angry but that is why I like to buy games in store
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:15:20 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 08:26:57 pm »
Happening to me just now.

Bought three games from, hold your breath, Gamestop online. two worked great, while one would not boot at all. Looks terribly scratched, despite showing evidence (the white film stuff around the center of the disc) of refinishing. Not only am I pissed, but honestly I'm more po'ed by Gamestop's return system.

There is no online return initiation system. Their help knowledge-base is utterly useless, and I've called several times only to be put on hold for 30+ minutes each time and never actually speaking to anyone.

I've actually been a pretty ardent Gamestop advocate, for in-store interactions at least, but I can honestly say I will never buy a vintage (or otherwise) game from them online again.

I love Amazon's no questions asked return policy (so long as you buy the "prime" version; I usually pay a bit more but in this business getting no questions asked free product return is pretty essential). I'll have to go back to Amazon/Ebay I guess.

I guess I mean to say I'm normally not upset when the game is scratched/corroded/doesn't work as I'm usually okay with returning for a new one (if I waited decades to play a vintage game, I can wait a week or so for an exchange), but this Gamestop fiasco has reminded me why I don't normally buy vintage online. Normally 4-5, right now with Gamestop, 11...

Did you take them back to a store? Most of the time, if they allow it (and Gamestop does), that is by FAR the easiest option.

But I agree with you- I dig buying from in-store gamestop, but actively avoid online due to the condition issues.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 12:28:15 am »
If you want you can get all of your discs (except Bluray or PS3 games) resurfaced for about $6 USD at "Family Video" store Locations

According to my research you can also buy used video game and even new movies for sale there too.

I only recommend getting your disc resurfaced once or maybe only 2 times, from it being new, because resurfacing and taking off most to all of the scratches more than 2 times can cause problems with your game, movie ,or music CD

as I said in this post you can remove most of the scratches off any disc. once or twice

But there is nothing you can do if it's got disc rot, in which you can tell by holding a  disc up to a light on the underside and see if any light is shining through tiny holes. if you see the light through the disc it is dead and can't be repaired
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:34:18 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 08:59:58 am »
Suffered from this time and time again - It took me 5 copies of Resident Evil to finally get one That was actually in Very Good Condition!

The problem is a lot of these games you simply can't buy in store - Even getting a pre-PS2 title in a Retro Store is a gamble & often overpriced in my experience! So ordering online is the only way for me to peruse singular titles. Multi-Disc PS1 games are the worst, the amount of times I have had to complain to sellers about the poor condition I've received copies of FF7, 8 & 9 is absurd - I have a good 7-8 copies in my cupboard, as the sellers usually can't be dealing with the hassle of returns & being under the threat of bad feedback.

if I see an item listed as good, I Always ask about the condition and the reason to why the sale wouldn't be put under Very Good condition instead.

Luckily since the evolution in hardware with Blu-Ray this doesn't seem to be an issue anymore! I don't think I've ever had one turn up in bad condition. the only time that does come to mind is Sonic Lost Worlds for the Wii-U - Which had a patch of serious dis-colouration on the back of the disc and I returned it after it would not load.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:06:42 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 10:58:22 am »
Sonic Lost Worlds for the Wii-U would not load.
A blessing if you ask me.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 11:12:35 am »
Depends on how much I paid, and if the game works.  I’ve got a disc refinisher, so unless it’s something really bad my discs are probably going to get fixed and work just fine.

In fact I’ll buy “Scratched” condition games if they are cheap and they don’t look too bad.  Run them through the machine once, and *bam* $10 game for $1 and 5 minutes of my time.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 11:24:48 am »
I usually have a major problem with disc rot more than scratches where I live. when buying games online even JJgames sometimes. Most of my issues  actually have been mostly with PlayStation 3 Bluray games.

I mean I have a HUGE problem with having to throw out at least 2 copies of Call Of Duty Black Ops original games, and 1 ultimate saga collection for the PlayStation 3

PS3 games are more prone to disc rot than all other disc based games.

Thing is, the games often don't show it's problems  unless the laser tries to access data on a spot where the light shine through it if it has disc rot.

NO APPS NEEDED

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 06:00:30 pm »
I usually have a major problem with disc rot more than scratches where I live. when buying games online even JJgames sometimes. Most of my issues  actually have been mostly with PlayStation 3 Bluray games.

I mean I have a HUGE problem with having to throw out at least 2 copies of Call Of Duty Black Ops original games, and 1 ultimate saga collection for the PlayStation 3

PS3 games are more prone to disc rot than all other disc based games.

Thing is, the games often don't show it's problems  unless the laser tries to access data on a spot where the light shine through it if it has disc rot.

PS3 blu ray labels are of lesser quality than most and more susceptible to having the labels scratch off and the data layer damaged. I've come across a few PS3 discs where there's a hole as big as my finger right through the label side of the disc which is closest to where the data is. In many cases, it ruins the game. I don't think they rotted, it's just someone took no care with it, as usual.