Author Topic: Scenario: You order a game online and the disc is very badly scratched  (Read 1992 times)

Re: Scenario: You order a game online and the disc is very badly scratched
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 06:02:27 pm »
Probably a 2 on my scale.

Level 1 -  Disney land, with the love of your life.  In the tea cups.  While Goofy waves at you.  No stress.  No pain.  All life.
Level 2-  Getting a scratched game on Ebay
Level 3 -  Dropping the remote out of bed, and now you gotta get up and get it.  Which kinda sucks.
Level 4 -  Your DVR didn't record the show you wanted it to. 
Level 5 -   You order 3 Burgers with Cheese from the burger joint.  Get half way down the interstate.  Open them up. No cheese. 
Level 6 -   Your wife had sex with your dad.   
Level 7 -   The Soviets made zombies that end up biting your favorite pet.
Level 8 -   You flew to California on vacation, than Kim Jun Un nuked your home state, destroying everything you know.
Level 9 -  You grow a head that forms out of the flesh behind your ear, and it whispers "PC master race"in your ear.
Level 10 -  Your friend rips up your vectrex box.  Because.  "I didn't know you were saving it"

Now getting a badly scratched game?  About as inconveniencing as being 10 minutes late for work and hearing the boss say "You made it" condescendingly. 

About as inconveniencing as hitting a home run at your little league park, but then you realize you have one ball and now it's in the nether regions of the park where  corn pop and the rest of the bad boys hang. 

So in general no.  It's not too bad.   You just file a claim,  return it.  Get your money and try again.  Now if it's a game you are dying to play.  It inconveniences you more.  But  not quite as bad as it getting stolen.  At least you have something to return. 

I hope you get a good one soon Seether.   I undervalued how shitty it is for comedic effect :D.  It's lame.  Amazon sends me more broken stuff than not at this point.  Returning it is boring and mundane.   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:06:27 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 06:17:10 pm »

Level 1 -  Disney land, with the love of your life.  In the tea cups.  While Goofy waves at you.  No stress.  No pain.  All life.
Level 3 -  Dropping the remote out of bed, and now you gotta get up and get it.  Which kinda sucks.
Level 5 -   You order 3 Burgers with Cheese from the burger joint.  Get half way down the interstate.  Open them up. No cheese. 
Level 8 -   You flew to California on vacation, than Kim Jun Un nuked your home state, destroying everything you know.
Level 9 -  You grow a head that forms out of the flesh behind your ear, and it whispers "PC master race"in your ear.
Level 10 -  Your friend rips up your vectrex box.  Because.  "I didn't know you were saving it"

This list went from mildly annoying straight to absolutely terrifying.

Also, how can it be more annoying to pick up a remote, than to go through a tedious and convoluted returns process? That's worse than burgers with no cheese, by a lot. And why is Disney Land even on the scale of how annoyed you are? A level 1 is still annoyed.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 07:36:00 pm »

Your scale intrigues me- a ripped up old box is worse than nuclear holocaust by 20%? The betrayal of your trust by 2 beloved family members is barely worse than missing cheese slices? I feel like there's a psychology paper in figuring out your reasoning...

kashell

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 08:51:07 am »
That scale is...something.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 11:00:05 am »

Now getting a badly scratched game?  About as inconveniencing as being 10 minutes late for work and hearing the boss say "You made it" condescendingly. 

About as inconveniencing as hitting a home run at your little league park, but then you realize you have one ball and now it's in the nether regions of the park where  corn pop and the rest of the bad boys hang. 

So in general no.  It's not too bad.   You just file a claim,  return it.  Get your money and try again.  Now if it's a game you are dying to play.  It inconveniences you more.  But  not quite as bad as it getting stolen.  At least you have something to return. 

I hope you get a good one soon Seether.   I undervalued how shitty it is for comedic effect :D.  It's lame.  Amazon sends me more broken stuff than not at this point.  Returning it is boring and mundane.

I approve of this rating system

Also, how can it be more annoying to pick up a remote, than to go through a tedious and convoluted returns process? That's worse than burgers with no cheese, by a lot. And why is Disney Land even on the scale of how annoyed you are? A level 1 is still annoyed.

i disagree lower ends of the scale could be you having a neutral reaction or on the very bottom end very happy with the deal that you've made.

level 1 is not annoyed it could actually have a positive effect upon receiving a broken disc. If i where to get a 150 - 300$ game for 5$ - 20$ and the disc is broken I'd be at lvl 1 and profit from the manual and packaging to name one example of actually being positive of receiving a broken game. it can happen maybe even more luck next time.

also as for examples a neutral scale say 2 to 3. i mean most returns from stores especially if your well known with said store but with good stores even for newcomers are super easy. sellers are human and make mistakes and refunds are very easily done with cash refunds. I'm pretty sure plenty of people would not be annoyed at all mistakes happen especially when they where regular customers of said store with good experiences in the past. doesn;t apply for all stores but for sure with the good ones.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:13:21 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 11:57:08 am »
The exact circumstances could also make for more complicated reactions. I bought Chaos Legion over the summer, and the game had light water damage to the art insert. I was disappointed. Then I opened the case and there was a 3rd Party memory card inside along with the game. I didn't need the memory card. I gave away the memory card. But it made me feel better about the whole thing, like I'd come out ahead even though the end result was still me having a slightly damaged game.

I bought a game from a Japanese seller this summer. It got all the way to my local post office & was returned. He made me pay again for re-shipment. Watched the tracking like a hawk- popped up 'return to sender' again. I had to wake up early on my only day off in a 2 week span to go to the Post Office, show them the tracking, and hope they could find it before it left. Took 30 minutes, but they found it- he'd written the wrong house number on the package. I could have raised a stink, but honestly I was so relieved to just have the game & be done with it, I don't think I even left negative feedback.

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 06:58:00 pm »

also as for examples a neutral scale say 2 to 3. i mean most returns from stores especially if your well known with said store but with good stores even for newcomers are super easy. sellers are human and make mistakes and refunds are very easily done with cash refunds. I'm pretty sure plenty of people would not be annoyed at all mistakes happen especially when they where regular customers of said store with good experiences in the past. doesn;t apply for all stores but for sure with the good ones.

We're talking about eBay here. Where first you have to contact the seller and wait, then if they even agree that what they sold you is not good, issue a return label. Then you gotta print the return label, then you gotta pack it back up, then you gotta mail it off. Then you gotta wait for them to get it back, then they issue you a refund a week later if you count the time it took since you originally made the purchase. That's the smoothest it could possibly go. That's not fun. That's annoying.

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 08:05:44 pm »

We're talking about eBay here. Where first you have to contact the seller and wait, then if they even agree that what they sold you is not good, issue a return label. Then you gotta print the return label, then you gotta pack it back up, then you gotta mail it off. Then you gotta wait for them to get it back, then they issue you a refund a week later if you count the time it took since you originally made the purchase. That's the smoothest it could possibly go. That's not fun. That's annoying.

it could be ebay but the topic starter did not mention that it has to be ebay only.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 07:51:18 pm »
I really think we need a perpetual bad transaction thread meant for venting our frustrations that can be an ongoing thread, we might reach 100 pages by the end of the year.

This crap happened to me twice in the past few days. Both from eBay. "New" condition game comes with a piece of scotch tape over the edge... you know, like all new games do. What do you think new games are sealed? Are you nuts? Never mind that it smells funky like someone's house and there's a hole ripped in the back of the artwork. It's new!!!! It was so cheap though, that I just said screw it.

Then another purchase I paid quite a bit more for comes, poor condition. I request a return, and ohhhh no... can't accept the return. Who cares if I'm satisfied, he's already got my money!!!$$$$ Seriously, **** people like that. What a jerk. I just accepted a return from a near $100 order from someone. It's the decent thing to do.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 01:12:47 pm »
Slightly off topic but relevant to this thread, I've had terrible experiences with returning products lately. Got a bad copy of Luigi's Mansion from Gamestop. Returned it with the return label (provided in the box) at a UPS drop box, only to have the broken game returned and on my doorstep the next day... After writing bad feedback and emailing their customer service I did have a new one in less than 48 hours, so I guess I can't really complain, but they didn't make it easy. I dare any of you to go to the Gamestop Knowledge base and decipher how exactly to return for an exchange a pre-owned product. I even took it to the local Gamestop, where they refused to take it because it was a Gamecube game.

Worse than this though, I requested a replacement part for a piece of home gym equipment. When the replacement arrived, it arrive with another package. The extra package weighed probably 50+ lbs. I opened it only to find it contained industrial machining tools and parts. They accidently printed two labels with my info and sent me the wrong thing. Not a huge problem, except they expect me to print a label and take it to a FedEx... Like, for crying out loud just order a pickup. It's like I'm being punished for buying a defective product!

Warmsignal

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 02:18:28 pm »
The other day I was told by GS employees that even if I placed an order online with an option to pick up at their store, they couldn't let me just have the copies that were there in-store. I'd have to wait for more to be shipped to them. Thus preventing me from getting the B1GH they had going unless I wanted to wait. Well, I realized I could get both games cheaper from eBay than their sale price. Oh well.

These kinds of things are hallmarks of a business prone to fail.

pzeke

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2019, 10:43:21 am »
Quite pissed, to be perfectly honest; I hate when people waste my time.

I really think we need a perpetual bad transaction thread meant for venting our frustrations that can be an ongoing thread, we might reach 100 pages by the end of the year.

This crap happened to me twice in the past few days. Both from eBay. "New" condition game comes with a piece of scotch tape over the edge... you know, like all new games do. What do you think new games are sealed? Are you nuts? Never mind that it smells funky like someone's house and there's a hole ripped in the back of the artwork. It's new!!!! It was so cheap though, that I just said screw it.

Then another purchase I paid quite a bit more for comes, poor condition. I request a return, and ohhhh no... can't accept the return. Who cares if I'm satisfied, he's already got my money!!!$$$$ Seriously, **** people like that. What a jerk. I just accepted a return from a near $100 order from someone. It's the decent thing to do.

Yeah, I've had quite a number of "bad transactions" myself over the past few months. From people taking longer than they should to ship, to sellers downgrading the shipping, to orders passing their EDD by nearly a month because the seller either downgraded the shipping or wrote my address wrong, to receving items not as described, to dealing with new sellers and their "I'm a new seller" excuses. I've had a string of mediocre sellers one after the other that leaves me perplexed to put it mildly. I've never had to call eBay customer support, and so far I've had to do it more times than normal during the course of October.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 10:47:00 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!