Author Topic: Turn Offs: Are You Picky When You See A Bunch Of Video Games For Sale? Or No?  (Read 1176 times)

I am vary picky when it comes to buying video games, For example I if I see a Barbie doll or a Sesame Street video game or if I have a copy of something. I generally won't buy that game, unless I had a young son, or young daughter, or younger family member to give that game to.

A lot of video games turn me off usually movie based or comic or superhero games, are usually get a pass from me even if I don't currently own them. I once saw 5 of the same Spiderman game for the PlayStation 2 at one seller, I also pass on buying any more early motion control games, and Wii games as well. but I do have an eyetoy for PlayStation 2 and a few games for it, but never have used it.

But sometimes I'll get a sports game though because I know that they are fun and all different from one another,

What kind of video games are you picky about? if any? What kind of video games are you turned off by?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:37:34 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

I very rarely buy games in bundles, probably because when I am looking for a title I'm usually after a particular title and might have titles within the bundle anyway. I think the only time I have really bought a bundle of games is when buying a console, like my 360 to which I sold the games & made my money back for the console :P

Beyond that I think the only time I bought a game bundle was Fear Effect 1 & 2 for PS1 - Which were both in mint condition too!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:31:08 am by vivigamer »

If its a good deal I am not picky.

sworddude

If its a good deal I am not picky.

2nd that
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Extremely.

Warmsignal

Quite. Usually when I see most traditional sports, TV, movie, cartoon, game show, kiddy game types or something of that sort that is not a unique intellectual property or based in video games originally, then I will almost certainly pass without a second thought, no matter how cheaply it's priced. Most of the time when I look at a selection of games for sale, I always mentally filter out all of that stuff, like it's not even real video games just a lot of shovelware junk with usually a few "real games" in the mix that might grab my attention. Most of the time though it's "all crap" and nothing worth a second glance.

However, I am not totally anti-shovelware. Just when the subject matter is lame or boring. Some shovelware actually piques my interest, when it's based on a unique or interesting concept or it's own universe. Those kinds of shovelware games, I will usually consider. Now that you mention it, I do like some Wii shovelware and some of the more casual titles, but I am still choosy about which ones. But because I am not a fan of things like Iron Man for example, I have no desire to play games based on that and usually the quality of such games are not so good. The GP picks them up because they are names that they recognize, and not because the game is good.

I'm even more picky when it comes to the condition. Even if it's a great title, and the price is a great deal, I'll probably still pass because I prefer near mint, if not brand new. Most used games are not near mint, or even close. Hell, some brand new games aren't even mint.

If it's a good deal on a good title that I already own, I'd only consider buying if the condition is actually better than the one I already own. Otherwise, pass.

So although it may seem like I am not, I am very picky. Most of the time, I won't buy unless it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Of course! Having limited space & funds means skipping out on a lot of titles I find. My particular quirks:

No sports games. EVER. I don't care if they're 'good', I don't play them so I don't buy them.
No licensed games. I have a few exceptions in the collection due to nostalgia/unusually high quality, but as a general rule I'm not buying more.
Limited shovelware games. I'm actually fine with owning these, provided they're unique/interesting or particularly notorious. And cheap. Basically, $1 for Babysitting Mama w/ baby, good. $10 for Chicken Shoot, not so much.
No games that I know have updated releases on later systems- There's a shop near me with a couple of the Mass Effect games in, but if I do pick that series up I'll get the trilogy release. Same reason I got Eternal Sonata for PS3- new content.
No games I already own. I don't care how good it is, I'm not buying something I have already. The exception is, if the new copy is better than my old copy & isn't prohibitively expensive. I recently bought a second cart of Vectorman on Genesis becuase it had a nicer label & pins than my copy.

End result is, while the shops around me have a lot of games (comparatively) to other areas in the country, I rarely buy anything because of the above.

I very rarely buy video games in bulk anymore, mostly because I never find good enough deals to bundle up games. When I was buying in bulk more it was typically me cherry picking titles I actually wanted at a flea market and trying to get a better deal that way. In terms of buying lots on Craigslist where it was sort of an all or nothing deal I bought lots if the price was right and there was something, or several things in the lot that I really wanted. All the stuff I didn't want I either sold or traded off.

pzeke

Yeah, I’m quite picky. I don’t do visual novels or life sims or rhythm or educational or sports or kiddy games. I won’t even bat an eye their way. I don't hold point and click games in high regard either, but then again I have Zack & Wiki, L.A. Noire, as well as Heavy Rain and Telltale's The Walking Dead in my collection... I find trivia/quiz and game show games to be unbearable; and most Sega CD games are a turn-off for me.

I don’t mind licensed games, personally, but then again, I’m picky with them. I’m a sucker for superhero games, but I’m picky with them also.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:34:57 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!