Author Topic: What do you think makes someone sell their 'whole' collection?  (Read 6911 times)

Re: What do you think makes someone sell their 'whole' collection?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 11:18:48 pm »
I once sold nearly my whole collection convinced I was never going to play these games again. Then several years later, the nostalgia bug hit me and I winded up buying the same games I sold and then some for a significant mark-up.

I would be cautious about selling your whole collection. You might end up wanting to buy them again later down the road.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 12:06:17 am by masamune »

pzeke

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2019, 02:10:21 am »
Back when I was knee-deep into comicbooks, I sold my SNES with all the games I had to fund my monthly pull list. One of the things I did was assert myself that I outgrew the console since I had a PS1. A few months later I started regretting it, especially after learning that the person I sold the SNES to sold it to get a PS1. It wasn't until years later when I joined eBay that I got it back with about 80% of the games I used to own.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 01:17:56 am »
I feel like getting out of it sometimes, to be honest.

They take up so much space. They are jam packed in my shelving units to the point where adding new titles is a dreaded, time consuming affair. And updating all my damn charts.... most of the time I don't even end up playing the game.

Scalpers/pricecharting/call-aheads have killed the thrill of the hunt for yardsales and fleamarkets and games seem to not show up at all at auctions these days (or, once again, someone leaving a left bid for slightly under the pricecharting price.) I've taken the past year or so off from buying, for the most part (had one big purchase of SNES RPGs and thats it,) and honestly feel pretty good about it.

But selling it all comes with its own sense of dread. I have so many big box computer games from the 80s, for systems I don't even own. I've had some up in my attic for the past few years and I'm paranoid that they'll melt or whatever. No way to test them, I don't have a Commodore, Tandy or any of the other things they were compatible with, nor the tape drive to play them. So I'd hate to be offloading junk goods on someone, let alone even trying to find a buyer for that stuff. A lot of my PS2 and Xbox stuff is scratched, it would all have to be tested too and I dread doing that.

pzeke

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2020, 11:12:41 am »
I feel you. The best comes to the persistent, so I feel this hobby, in its current state, is most cherished when you allow yourself to be patient. That big purchase of SNES RPGs you got is a good example of that. I just recently scored a nice trio of games coupled with their strategy guides for basically the price of one, essentially below what PriceCharting states – two of those games I've been looking for quite some time now, and the other I'll most likely end up reselling, meaning I'll get the games for far cheaper.

But selling it all comes with its own sense of dread. I have so many big box computer games from the 80s, for systems I don't even own. I've had some up in my attic for the past few years and I'm paranoid that they'll melt or whatever. No way to test them, I don't have a Commodore, Tandy or any of the other things they were compatible with, nor the tape drive to play them. So I'd hate to be offloading junk goods on someone, let alone even trying to find a buyer for that stuff. A lot of my PS2 and Xbox stuff is scratched, it would all have to be tested too and I dread doing that.

If you need the space and those are items that you don't particularly want or intend to use, you could sell them at a discounted price, stating the fact you don't have the means of testing them. The PS2 and Xbox games I think you should test; all you have to do is see if they go past startup, you don't have to play-test them.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2020, 09:30:57 pm »
I feel like getting out of it sometimes, to be honest.

They take up so much space. They are jam packed in my shelving units to the point where adding new titles is a dreaded, time consuming affair. And updating all my damn charts.... most of the time I don't even end up playing the game.

Scalpers/pricecharting/call-aheads have killed the thrill of the hunt for yardsales and fleamarkets and games seem to not show up at all at auctions these days (or, once again, someone leaving a left bid for slightly under the pricecharting price.) I've taken the past year or so off from buying, for the most part (had one big purchase of SNES RPGs and thats it,) and honestly feel pretty good about it.

If you are anyone with a scratched CD or DVD game, you can always get the game repaired or sell it to someone who can. Some Family Video stores repair games and movies and music disc, for a small fee, and that can make them like new again.

but it can be risky if a disc has been resurfaced more then once in it's lifetime

OR it's expensive buy your own resurfacing machine, most can resurface and repair any disc based media except for Bluray
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:37:07 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 04:38:03 am »
I’ve been thinking about a good answer to the question.
It could be anything. Life change, priorities change, interest change; all those things could cause a person to sell out.

The one that I keep coming back to though, is just good sense.
Most of us that have collected massive amounts of games are at least a touch mentally ill.  Whether we say it out loud or not is a different story. There just has to be some level of madness to do what we do.

Old fashion good sense would make a person sell out.

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 06:04:27 am »
It could be anything. Life change, priorities change, interest change; all those things could cause a person to sell out.

Most of us that have collected massive amounts of games are at least a touch mentally ill.  Whether we say it out loud or not is a different story. There just has to be some level of madness to do what we do.

There is no normal person, it's only a matter of opinion, everyone on Earth is crazy to someone else, they don't have to to have a diagnosis of Schizophrenia or bi-polar, or even a serial killer, their is no perfect person

some people think that killing real people is good sense, I think those who think that are and pure evil
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:09:52 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 06:25:21 am »

There is no normal person, it's only a matter of opinion, everyone on Earth is crazy to someone else, they don't have to to have a diagnosis of Schizophrenia or bi-polar, or even a serial killer, their is no perfect person

some people think that killing real people is good sense, I think those who think that are and pure evil

I mean what people consider normal is if the majority acts that way.

If the majority of the population thinks that killing people is normal than that's just how it is. that's the new normal and if you have any different thought your considered mentally ill.

If you can convince the majority of people to act a certain way that's the new normal.

Slavery especially with black people was considered normal in the past.

That woman where inferior in terms of jobs was considered normal while now riots come and companies need a certain % of womand for the top spots.

Smoking in the past was considered cool and good. that was normal not anymore.

Yet all those 3 things listed above are changed now. if your thinking that way your mentally ill today while it was perfectly normal back in the day

A normal person today can be tomorrows crazy person.

If important influential people can force the majority of people to think in certain ways that will be considered the new normal.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

necrosexual

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2020, 12:29:05 pm »
i've sold before because i felt overwhelmed by too many games (choices). that's when i had 100 games total, but i almost sold my ps4 collection (~60 games at the time) for a similar reason.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

stealthrush

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2020, 04:55:15 pm »
Unexpected financial situations in life.