Author Topic: What do you think makes someone sell their 'whole' collection?  (Read 6995 times)

Re: What do you think makes someone sell their 'whole' collection?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 10:06:07 am »
And for the record a lot of women like video games as well in fact I think we have at least three ladies who regularly attend on the forums here as well.

*waves*

My sister is the only person I know in real life who's done full purges. Basically,  she'll get a nostalgic itch for our childhood favorites, play her fill, then sell the lot to avoid clutter. Online, there's a few guys on Atariage who enjoy the hunt more than most, and sell off full console runs if they lose interest temporarily just so they can hunt it down again later if they change their mind. It's not something I can personally relate to, but I've never been a big dumper of stuff. Not a hoarder by a long shot, I just keep things unless I'm sure I dont want it snymore.

I know a few people who've done this and it just doesn't make sense to me. I've known various people that had complete Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, and N64 set that enjoyed them for about a month before selling them off and moving to some other console collection to complete.

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 10:37:47 am »
And for the record a lot of women like video games as well in fact I think we have at least three ladies who regularly attend on the forums here as well.

*waves*

My sister is the only person I know in real life who's done full purges. Basically,  she'll get a nostalgic itch for our childhood favorites, play her fill, then sell the lot to avoid clutter. Online, there's a few guys on Atariage who enjoy the hunt more than most, and sell off full console runs if they lose interest temporarily just so they can hunt it down again later if they change their mind. It's not something I can personally relate to, but I've never been a big dumper of stuff. Not a hoarder by a long shot, I just keep things unless I'm sure I dont want it snymore.

I know a few people who've done this and it just doesn't make sense to me. I've known various people that had complete Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, and N64 set that enjoyed them for about a month before selling them off and moving to some other console collection to complete.
It’s human nature to want what you don’t have and the high of acquiring something almost immediately wears off. It’s why buying things doesn’t make people happy.

mastodon

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 01:23:17 am »
Needing money

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 05:24:38 am »
1.It was a passing fad/In it for all the wrong reasons

I think most of the time I have seen someone sell their entire collection was because they were in it for the wrong reasons.  Mainly for attention, showboating or to make money flipping.   Once one of those 3 avenues dry up which they certainly will.  Some people give up.   I used to know this guy called Jay Bandz.  He used to spend thousands on only the rarest games.   Weather they sucked or not.  His entire collection consisted of only the highest end games.  And you could tell he was never in it for the love of it because days later he'd be trying to flip the game for more than he paid.   Once the insta likes wore off and all the "OMG, I'm drooling"  replies stopped coming.  The game became worthless to him.   He was hardly a gamer at all.   Hardly played.  Hardly cared.   In it for all the wrong reasons.   

Others just lose interest because they have ADD and just switch fads constantly like me lol.  But I would never sell my whole collection. 

Financial needs or a baby

I know you said excluding this one, but figured i'd include it.  Usually people sell their games because they have a baby.   Which I kinda don't get in a way.   Sure you need money but your baby should have already had the means of being raised based on your income not your hobbies.  I think giant changes are made when a baby is born.  I think bonding with the games is a better idea :D

To buy a house

I forget the user on here,  but I remember someone selling a bulk of their collection to buy a house.  I see this very often.  It's something I have pondered but my collection is not nearly large enough.   I think sometimes you value what is more important in your life.  And having a house to pass down to your kids, and having something you can call home wins.  I definitely get this decision.   I think video games can be repurchased slowly.  But a house is forever. 

Depression

Probably the saddest one,  sometimes people lose interest due to depression.  It can make you hate things you once loved.  And eventually you never get that spark back.  It's crippling.   Anxiety especially can convince you stuff is happening that's not.  It can be hard to shake that cycle. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:18:31 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

kashell

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 08:17:07 am »
The male chauvinism is strong in this topic.

telly

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 09:13:22 am »
If you're not dedicating enough time to your family, kids, and your partner (because it's not just wives here) then they have a very good reason to take issue with that. It's about balance and priorities.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 11:01:40 am »
If you're not dedicating enough time to your family, kids, and your partner (because it's not just wives here) then they have a very good reason to take issue with that. It's about balance and priorities.

In two of my friends cases my wife got it right. They knowingly married women that did not like video games at all. They thought they were an addiction similar to alcoholism and wanted to abolish them completely from the household. The guys naively though their dream women would change after one game of Smash Bros or Mario Kart. But that didn’t happen. The problem is not women so much as it’s asking a leopard to change its spots. Don’t marry or date someone for what you want or wish them to be. Be ready and willing to accept them as who and what they are or move on.

Contrast to my house where the entire downstairs is a tribute to arcade/pinball/console gaming.

Half is mine. Half is my wife’s. Women can game as much as men. I follow and am friends with several gamers on twitch and twitter of the male and female variety.

I just have yet to have a personal experience where a guy asked a girl to give up her games.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:05:07 am by dashv »

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 01:43:01 pm »

In two of my friends cases my wife got it right. They knowingly married women that did not like video games at all. They thought they were an addiction similar to alcoholism and wanted to abolish them completely from the household. The guys naively though their dream women would change after one game of Smash Bros or Mario Kart. But that didn’t happen. The problem is not women so much as it’s asking a leopard to change its spots. Don’t marry or date someone for what you want or wish them to be. Be ready and willing to accept them as who and what they are or move on.

Contrast to my house where the entire downstairs is a tribute to arcade/pinball/console gaming.

Half is mine. Half is my wife’s. Women can game as much as men. I follow and am friends with several gamers on twitch and twitter of the male and female variety.

I just have yet to have a personal experience where a guy asked a girl to give up her games.

accepting eachother has to come from both sides not just 1 side if a relationship does not come from 2 sides it's going to fail or the poor fool will just suck it up and live miserably while accepting the shitty stuff that is forced upon him/her if there is no divorce.

i have rarely seen succesfull couples with matching hobbies. if both like the same hobbies it's just a bonus but that's not the rule for a succesfull relationship really.

it's not like the wife is usually interested in vintage cars. motors, photography etc etc and vice versa this isn't a problem with game collecting only. in a good relationship it's more balanced and not forcing one of both parties to just eject their hobby for good. it's all about sharing and see what works out the best for the both of you it's all about finding a good balance.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:46:52 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 01:46:42 pm »
The male chauvinism is strong in this topic.

No kidding.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 03:17:31 pm »
The biggest reason I can think of is “Life”

As you roll through life things change. It might be a financial situation, relationship status, change of address, or just plan ole loss of interest.

Life changes.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 10:15:20 pm »

accepting eachother has to come from both sides not just 1 side if a relationship does not come from 2 sides it's going to fail or the poor fool will just suck it up and live miserably while accepting the shitty stuff that is forced upon him/her if there is no divorce.

i have rarely seen succesfull couples with matching hobbies. if both like the same hobbies it's just a bonus but that's not the rule for a succesfull relationship really.

it's not like the wife is usually interested in vintage cars. motors, photography etc etc and vice versa this isn't a problem with game collecting only. in a good relationship it's more balanced and not forcing one of both parties to just eject their hobby for good. it's all about sharing and see what works out the best for the both of you it's all about finding a good balance.

That was the only point I was trying to make. Both have to accept the other as they are. Not as a project for them to work on or perfect. I agree sharing hobbies is a bonus, not required.

But the other party can’t be out to take your hobby from you either.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:18:09 pm by dashv »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 01:48:40 am »
Both have to accept the other as they are. Not as a project for them to work on or perfect. I agree sharing hobbies is a bonus, not required.

Well said, DashV

My wife can give less than two drops of tanooki piss about games. But she’s completely into me being into games. She helped me make a building to store and enjoy all this stuff. She never complains when I spend money on games. She backs me up on my hobby and gets pumped for me when I get excited.
She’s a great wife. She just doesn’t dig games.

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 05:03:17 pm »
Both have to accept the other as they are. Not as a project for them to work on or perfect. I agree sharing hobbies is a bonus, not required.

Well said, DashV

My wife can give less than two drops of tanooki piss about games. But she’s completely into me being into games. She helped me make a building to store and enjoy all this stuff. She never complains when I spend money on games. She backs me up on my hobby and gets pumped for me when I get excited.
She’s a great wife. She just doesn’t dig games.

That's awesome!  That's how my brother's wife is. She doesn't care at all about games but she supports him 100 percent.  I got lucky because my wife plays more games than I do as it's her full time job.  So I can binge with her and our compulsive gaming kinda compliments eachother.  :)   

Some people like cars and devote a lot of time and money into that, and some girls are big into makeup and shoes.  Some dudes are sneakerheads.  I think the key to a good relationship is to be supportive or compatible with eachother including hobbies and interests. 

Warmsignal

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 01:04:22 am »
Some just aren’t as sentimental about things. I’ve know of people who are interested in such things but ultimately can’t hold onto anything they ever owned. They’re obsessive about fresh starts and new chapters and whatnot. They don’t have any appreciation for clutter. Nowadays there’s less and less reason to go the route of amassing tons of old wares. When you can go out and pick up a snes mini and a genesis mini and have a lot of your essentials taken care of right there, or maybe just mod an Xbox or pick up some multi cart and get your fix easily.

Why dedicate an entire room to it if you aren’t sentimental about the stuff aspect of it? A lot of people realize how silly it is, and it is silly. If you’re in it purely for the gaming, then don’t bother building a game collection. It’s a huge drain of time, money, and space.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:05:53 am by Warmsignal »

pzeke

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 01:38:13 pm »
An illness.

Full loss of interest; outgrowing the hobby.

Trying to get money to fund something else.

Drugs.

An overbearing wife.

There's plenty of reasons. Shit happens.

If you’re in it purely for the gaming, then don’t bother building a game collection. It’s a huge drain of time, money, and space.

Maybe it’s the impression that I get, but that comment kind of contradicts itself. I'm in it for the gaming, but also like having and continuing to build my collection to have a varied selection of games – nothing better than variety. I’m certain I’m not the only one that feels this way.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:39:53 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!