Author Topic: What Makes Most RPG's So Sought After  (Read 2468 times)

sworddude

Re: What Makes Most RPG's So Sought After
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 11:47:29 am »
I'm assuming you're referring to JRPGs since those seem to consistently fetch the most money and seem to be the most coveted genre. I think most of it is how much of a novelty JRPGs were in the west up until well Gen 7 pretty much. There was so much we didn't get for such a long time, that when we did start getting it everyone wanted them despite low production numbers. On top of that there's always been this mystique about a lot of JRPGs that people thinks hides some incredible gaming experience. I also think the genre was greatly aided by the popularity of the FF series during the 16 and 32-bit eras.

Personally, most of these sought after JRPGs I've played have come across as pretty overrated in the end. Most have some very generic story about this kingdom feuding with that kingdom, and all the characters seem to be cliche, anime tropes of some kind. I will fully admit that I'm not as big of a JRPG guy as I was 20-years ago, but I can't help but think the genre is now bolstered by nostalgia, collectorism, or fanboyism, at least when it comes to retro JRPGs.

aren't especially older survival horror games cliche as fuck?

same goes for a ton of action games heck even creative ones as far as old stuff goes. even new games that are released today are based of said old games including cheesy stuff.

this includes excellent titles pretty much all of them as far as old stuff goes. but a ton of people like it.

also as far as fanboism goes I'm pretty sure rpg's such as suikoden panzer dragoon saga are kinda small fry stuff compared to say zelda pokemon final fantasy  kingdom hearts the real popular series call of dury etc this isnt rpg's only.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:59:11 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 12:39:37 am »
I'm assuming you're referring to JRPGs since those seem to consistently fetch the most money and seem to be the most coveted genre. I think most of it is how much of a novelty JRPGs were in the west up until well Gen 7 pretty much. There was so much we didn't get for such a long time, that when we did start getting it everyone wanted them despite low production numbers. On top of that there's always been this mystique about a lot of JRPGs that people thinks hides some incredible gaming experience. I also think the genre was greatly aided by the popularity of the FF series during the 16 and 32-bit eras.

Personally, most of these sought after JRPGs I've played have come across as pretty overrated in the end. Most have some very generic story about this kingdom feuding with that kingdom, and all the characters seem to be cliche, anime tropes of some kind. I will fully admit that I'm not as big of a JRPG guy as I was 20-years ago, but I can't help but think the genre is now bolstered by nostalgia, collectorism, or fanboyism, at least when it comes to retro JRPGs.

aren't especially older survival horror games cliche as fuck?

same goes for a ton of action games heck even creative ones as far as old stuff goes. even new games that are released today are based of said old games including cheesy stuff.

this includes excellent titles pretty much all of them as far as old stuff goes. but a ton of people like it.

also as far as fanboism goes I'm pretty sure rpg's such as suikoden panzer dragoon saga are kinda small fry stuff compared to say zelda pokemon final fantasy  kingdom hearts the real popular series call of dury etc this isnt rpg's only.

No one is going to reinvent the wheel at this point. I will also reiterate, I'm not the biggest fan of JRPGs anymore. All those JRPG tropes are part of the reason I just can't get into the genre anymore; they were once new to me, but after playing so many JRPGs and watching enough anime it all becomes a bit old, at least for me it did. With that said, there is still a JRPG or two I play every few years that I get into, and I've never bothered to break down why I like those and dislike 90% of the other ones I play.

There's a way higher portion of action, adventure, SHMUPs, and racing games, to name a few, that I end up liking, and your point is well taken. I guess with certain genres there's more wiggle room to make it stand out, or at least whatever room there is is used in a more creative way. And sure, there are games like COD, Pokemon, or Madden that are minimally different between entries, but that formula just works for some people. Same goes for your standard, generic JRPG.

Regarding fanboyism, yes, of course every genre and probably every franchise has them, but through luck or maybe because there are way more of them, I seem to encounter many JRPG fans. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with being close to game collecting, but I've met so many people that bloviate about various JRPGs, or the genre as a whole way more than I encounter FPS or Pokemon fanboys. Some are tolerable, others exhibit an overt snobbishness about JRPGs like it's some sort of right of passage to being hardcore. Regardless, fanboys suck no matter what they're into, but I seem to run into a lot of JRPG fanboys above anything else I can think of.

kashell

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 08:49:47 am »
The best thing about this thread has been bikingjahuty's use of the word bloviate. I had to look up its definition. I love learning new words!

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 09:30:22 am »
The best thing about this thread has been bikingjahuty's use of the word bloviate. I had to look up its definition. I love learning new words!

haha you're welcome :p

Warmsignal

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 12:26:53 pm »
He isn't wrong though, there does exist a bit of snobbery. I've often heard people deem certain more casual types of games as "not RPG". Like there is a standard of exactly how the game has to operate in order for it to be considered role-playing. Some of which have said Paper Mario is not an RPG. Okay then, it's a platformer where you level up your characters, take on side quests, progress through a main story, and have a party or team members that help you in turn-based battle. But yeah, it's not an RPG.... sure.

telly

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 12:46:21 pm »

haha you're welcome :p

Same though
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 12:48:40 pm »
Haha. I was just praising biking about using that word. I plan to use it as often as I can.

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 12:55:40 pm »
Bloviation is something that all of us VG Collectors are guilty of. That's why we are here, right?  ;D

kashell

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 01:25:25 pm »
You know what's up!

pzeke

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 01:35:05 pm »
I like most RPGs for their story, combat system, and, of course, their soundtracks. I don’t discriminate when it comes to RPGs; if it’s good, I’ll try it out. Granted, I'm sometimes put off a bit if an RPG is "too animé", but regardless I'll give it a try if it's good.

For an easy, near casual RPG experience, I’d recommend The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age and/or Mega Man X: Command Mission. They’re easy to pick up, and quite enjoyable. The Third Age is often called a "Final Fantasy X clone", so there's that.

[...] Now the only RPGs I've actually played are a few Pokemon games for Gameboy Advance and GUN for PlayStation 2 those were fun.

Gun isn’t an RPG. By that same token the modern GTA games would also be an RPG. I mean, sure, technically speaking video games could be considered an RPG if we take the word literally; but genre-wise, no, Gun isn't an RPG.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!