Author Topic: Weird Game Gear cartridge  (Read 2591 times)

megasilverx1

Weird Game Gear cartridge
« on: November 04, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »
Earlier today I found a Game Gear game that had no label besides "GG Checker" at a thrift store. It appears to be official looking at the circuit board and it brings up the licensed by Sega start up screen when I turn the game on. I assume it would be like a button test program or some other kind of test cartridge like Nintendo made for their consoles, but nothing happens after the licensed by Sega screen except that a red screen with Japanese text appears. Pressing the buttons does nothing. I couldn't find anything online about this thing, so I'm not really sure what it is. The only other thing of note about the cartridge is that rather than a game bit screw on the back it has a small phillips screw similar in size to the ones early NES game carts used.

Update: The text on the red screen basically translates to "Poor Connection." So I assume this cartridge is for testing the link cable connection between two Game Gear consoles.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:39:10 pm by megasilverx1 »

Re: Weird Game Gear cartridge
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 11:40:57 pm »
don't know either :-\

I think that the circuit board should have a battery in it but I don't see one. If it were a game.

I just read on an un-secure site google link that there is a game test cartridge out there according to the Game Gear Service Manual page 29 and 30 but I didn't click on the site link
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:42:46 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:55:34 am »
The phillips head screw isn't all that strange- I have a few Majesco-era carts with those in them.

Assuming you've cleaned the thing to make sure 'poor connection' doesn't mean the pins, I'd try taking it to any local retro shops/events you might have around, see if you can find someone with a link cable to try it with. It could also want you to connect it to a PC if it's a diagnostic cart- maybe look around for that previously mentioned service manual for more info.

megasilverx1

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:36:16 pm »

I think that the circuit board should have a battery in it but I don't see one. If it were a game.

I just read on an un-secure site google link that there is a game test cartridge out there according to the Game Gear Service Manual page 29 and 30 but I didn't click on the site link

I assume you're talking about this:

Someone on twitter linked me to this. If I'm reading this manual correctly, then I'd need a link cable plugged in to get past the initial soft check step. The manual also confirms that the Japanese text on the red screen that appears is about a communication cable problem. I'm not sure what the "exclusive adapter" that is mentioned on page 34 is; I'm assuming it would be a Game Gear Link Cable (Gear-to-Gear Cable)?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29:54 am »

Batteries in cartridges are for one of 2 things saving, or clocks. Until the GBA era where they were just for clocks.

So games that didn't save or used a password system wouldn't have a battery.

It's actually one of the definitive ways to tell a fake GBA game from a real one because fakes use a battery to save.