Author Topic: Are there no third party GameCube component video cables? If not, why?  (Read 4400 times)

Warmsignal

Every other console which features component as an output, there exists cheap third party cables. However, for GameCube it seems there is not hence all of the offensively high prices for the official Nintendo ones.

What makes GameCube so special that no one else can design a component video cable to work with it? Usually, a video cable of any sort is one of the most easily replicated accessories for any system.

Re: Are there no third party GameCube component video cables? If not, why?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 06:00:23 pm »
Wouldn't Wii component cables work?

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:08:08 pm »
Gamecube has a special chip in the original component cable to make it usable on the cube

Nintendo made the cube in a way so other 3rd party cables are unusable they are just blocked wich as a result means zero 3rd party comppenent cables for cube to this day. no easy modifications apparently.

Kinda wondering if a cheap gamecube 3rd party compenent cable if they ever managed to make it would have any influence of the price

Kinda seems like a collectors item imo, you could easily use a wii or if you really want to go hardcore there are some pricy indi options. i don't think the gba player alone keeps the price up considering the other cheaper options.

There is also an original scart cable wich has very nice image quality. way cheaper than the component option.

and otherwise only for cube games just use a wii with it's component cable.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:12:54 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 06:48:19 pm »
Yes there is. As of now there are several alternatives like the set from Insurrection Industries. There is also the GCHD Mark II with all-in-one HDMI and component video compatibility.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 07:23:18 pm »
Yes there is. As of now there are several alternatives like the set from Insurrection Industries. There is also the GCHD Mark II with all-in-one HDMI and component video compatibility.

as i said in my post indi alternatives however those are around 70  100$ + these are not what one would consider the cheap 5$ 3rd part cables like with other consoles thanks to the way the gamecube was made.

again why I'm thinking that the original component cables are mainly a collectible at this point since there are other options al be it just moderately cheaper and only for the gameboy player if where speaking of usage since gamecube games can just be used on a wii console.

not to mention that the original cables only slightly increased in price last couple of years not gone down even though we have other options so i don't think usage covers the full price in this case. rare hardware that is collectible or used for purist as my only explanation

also for a crt the gamecube's original scart cable might be better.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:33:30 pm by sworddude »

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 11:34:00 am »
They're trash. Just get HDMI one, or component through the Wii.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 01:10:55 pm »
ironicly the image quality of the gamecube component cable is slightly better than the wii one. kinda stupid but what does one do about it.

scart or the more hardcore indi alternatives are probably the better option if you really want to use the gameboy player badly

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 03:30:41 pm »
Plus +1 for the Carby, I love the thing. The Gamecube has a "digital out" not a component or multi-AV out like other consoles. Actually the later Gamecubes don't have digital out at all. Like others have said, the Nintendo cables had a chip that read the "digital" signal and compiled the video from there. The newer HDMI adapters for Gamecube didn't come around until just last year when the chip was finally reverse engineered in a way.

The setup stinks in a way because for years we were limited to the highly sought after 1st party cables, but good because now that we do have HDMI adapters the Gamecube's digital out produces a slightly cleaner and brighter image than Wii component.