Author Topic: Xbox Magazine Demo Discs  (Read 1935 times)

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

Xbox Magazine Demo Discs
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:07:48 pm »
There are two types of Xbox Magazine demo discs, the ones that come in a thin plastic box and those that just come in some cardboard.

Our database is completely out of order. There is no indication of which are the small cardboard editions and which are the larger plastic case editions. I'm about to list a ton of them on the database so I would like to know what should we use to differ between the two Xbox magazine demo disc formats?
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

aliensstudios

Re: Xbox Magazine Demo Discs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:19:31 pm »
I'd certainly do something like that. Maybe use "cardboard sleeve" or "sleeve" and "keep case" or "poly-box" for the slimline dvd-style cases.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:30:18 pm »
I didn't know there were paper sleeve versions of the plastic ones.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 12:57:56 pm »
I'd certainly do something like that. Maybe use "cardboard sleeve" or "sleeve" and "keep case" or "poly-box" for the slimline dvd-style cases.
Well, usually when there are two versions of the same item on VGcollect we don't add any special mentions in the item name for the original item but we add a mention in the title for the "second" or "odd" release. For example:

LocoRoco 2 [CA] (item #160501)
LocoRoco 2 (UCUS-98731F) [CA] (item #160502)

Those are the two canadian releases of LocoRoco 2 on the PSP. One has the original large PSP labels and the other one has the later "Slim" PSP labels. Since it's obvious which edition came out first, we do not give any special mention on the original release, only the second one does. This means that we must find out which of the two Xbox demo disc formats is the "original". Unless we contradict everything I just said and we instead use this example:

Grand Theft Auto IV (Fat PS3 text) [FR] (item #160189)
Grand Theft Auto IV (Slim PS3 text) [FR] (item #160187)

In this example the original relase still has a special mention in the title just like the second release.

So what should we do? I would like the admins to make a choice about this and set a standard so that I have the green light to create the listings according to the agreed standards, and sort this mess once and for all!
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 09:57:10 am »
What is the percentage of each type?
Leave the greater as the "default" and use a descriptor on the other.

(sleeve) vs (plastic case)

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 07:37:20 pm »
What is the percentage of each type?
Leave the greater as the "default" and use a descriptor on the other.

(sleeve) vs (plastic case)

I've seen much more plastic case versions than cardboard sleeve versions. 98dgreen seems to also think the same. So I'll post the plastic case versions as the original unedited item name and I'll add "(Cardboard Sleeve)" for the sleeve versions. Thanks!

Let's start cleaning up the database!

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 07:38:28 pm »
@tripredacus

Actually, should I use "Cardboard Sleeve" or just "Sleeve"?

telly

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 10:44:32 am »
I think any additional words added to a title should be in lower case instead of title case, like Wikipedia does (for example - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007_(1997_video_game))

so (cardboard sleeve) or (sleeve)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 08:05:17 pm »
I think any additional words added to a title should be in lower case instead of title case, like Wikipedia does (for example - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007_(1997_video_game))

so (cardboard sleeve) or (sleeve)

I'll go with (sleeve) then.

Edit: Actually, nevermind. It apprears that for the first few releases such as Demo Disc #01 there only exist the sleeve version, I couldn't find any proof of the existance of the plastic case version for releases prior to November 2001. So I'll do the opposite, I'll treat the sleeve version as the original and use (plastic case) for the others. This is confusing!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:15:48 pm by leonefamily »

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 12:24:48 pm »
I would say, given the confusion, it's best to mark each version with its appropriate storage container- so (cardboard sleeve) and (slimcase). It's entirely possible that both variants were released concurrently to account for some issue that occurred during the earlier months of the magazine. I'd imagine it's a retail/subscriber variant due to damages occurring during mailing, but we'd need someone who subscribed back in the day to attempt to verify that.

Edit: Secondary thought- does the plastic case have a barcode on it? Perhaps the demos were sold separately for awhile.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 12:27:13 pm by hoshichiri »

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 10:38:36 am »
Edit: Secondary thought- does the plastic case have a barcode on it? Perhaps the demos were sold separately for awhile.

Even if this is the case, we wouldn't create a duplicate entry. Just put into description that the item was available separately or as part of another item.