Author Topic: Who Knows How To Play Madden American Football Games? Do You Enjoy Them?  (Read 1808 times)

I can't get into them they are currently my least favorite sport

I got a ton of Madden games in my collection, with no idea exactly how to play them. has anyone on these forums ever figured out how to play a Madden NFL football game. or an NCAA american Football game?

At one time I knew one gamer in my life, that was a Madden football expert, he loved madden so much he would both play and complete the seasons on at least one of the Madden Football games for the PlayStation 2 every single day.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:02:03 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ferraroso

Re: Who Knows How To Play Madden American Football Games? Do You Enjoy Them?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:03:18 pm »
Well, I've tried to watch American Football a couple of times and, even with people explaining me the rules I couldn't (or maybe didn't want to) understand or enjoy it, so...

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 11:34:05 pm »
I've never been big on football, in fact I find it pretty obnoxious and overrated. With that, no I have never played Madden and I can't imagine ever liking it. The only EA sports titles I've ever enjoyed are the NHL games, and even then I only feel compelled to buy a game in the series once every 5 or 6 years.

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 12:01:13 am »
American style football is one sport that I find zero appeal in. The video games look as boring as the real thing. Even the Wii game where you play football as a dog, I can't see the appeal.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:03:04 am by Warmsignal »

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 03:37:10 am »
Love watching football, but never got into Madden.  Game is fairly complicated believe it or not.  I have always preferred faster pace of NFL Blitz.  I still pop in that game all the time...

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 09:58:48 am »
I've never been a football fan. Even so, I still have played a game of Madden and a game of NFL Quarterback Club 96 with my brother. The Madden game was interesting, I had no idea  what I was doing but my guys were "catching interceptions behind their backs" according to my brother and I somehow managed to destroy him. The Quarterback Club game went the exact opposite - he figured out the controls before I did and beat me at like 96-6 or something.

thewelshman

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:30:34 am »
As a kid that grew up in Texas, football was the only sport anyone really cared about. Much like Canadian kids with hockey and the rest of the world's kids with futból, my friends and I played football at a very young age. It was only natural we would seek out video games when they were available. I played Techmo Bowl, and Quarterback club before I knew John Madden Football was a thing. Even then, I played NFL Sports talk Football with Joe Montana before I ever owned a Madden port. I think the last Madden game I owned was Madden 2010 and it was mostly for easy achievements on the XBOX 360. I still enjoy football and my son will ask me to play with him from time to time, but we don't stay current with the releases. I'll always have love for Madden 99 on the PS1. That was the second game I ever purchased on the Playstation after Final Fantasy VII.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 02:48:13 pm »
I've never really been into Madden games. This is completely opposite, but I've always enjoyed the NFL Blitz game way more. NFL Blitz 2000 was like Football/Wrestling lol I just remember powerbombing players left and right with my good ol Atlanta Falcons.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 04:06:22 pm »
I've played them since I was a kid.  They were a pinnacle of my childhood.  My family loves sports in general but especially football and basketball.   The games were bought in my household for pretty much each installment.  When my dad would get money, he'd typically buy us kids the new madden. 

For that I love many of them.  As of late the Madden franchise has taken a turn in quality.  Or at least innovation.   Madden games are extremely recycled now.  And I know it's a running joke that they always were.  But that's not true.  Madden 2004, 2005, 2006.  Is what I call the golden era of madden.  It was impeccable.   Now it's good.  Certainly better than the PS3 maddens.  But still not quite the grail it was.

As for the gameplay.  If you like football you'll probably like it a lot more. Arcade games tend to be fun regardless if you like the topic.  Like fishing or dancing.   But with madden its more for purists.

The game is hard to pick up right away.  But I guess if you play it as a kid and grow up with it,  you learn how to play. 

I love NBA 2k games and a few other sports titles too.  :)

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:41:57 am »
I won the Super Bowl in Madden 10. That being said, I've always had issues with the passing. Often just elect to run the ball instead.
Some quarterbacks I do not like to use, the ones with extra moves because they play strangely. Like Peyton Manning or Michael Vick.

I remember I bought Madden 25 to play a dynasty, spent 4 hours doing roster management and then never actually played a single game... or finished with the roster. I just don't have the time for games like that anymore.

At a local goodwill today they had nothing but an entire collection of PlayStation 2 Madden games for sale 1 NHL and 1 NBA game oh yea and Rock Band for the PS3.

Needless to say I didn't buy any video games yesterday, they had at least 10 different Madden games, and like I said earlier I don't know how to play any Madden game

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

I’ve lived all over the US, and I’ll be the first to say, American football is an objectively stupid sport.
I didn’t even understand the rules until I was in my 20s. Basically you’re trying to move the ball as far down the field as you can, but it’s made unnecessarily complicated by so many players, plays, and rules.

Anyway, I’ve never been a big fan of sports simulation games, I only play the arcade-style sports games like NBA Jam or Super Baseball 2020. Regular sports games are boring as hell. I might have played a Madden game once.

Not only is it dumb, it encourages dumbness with all the injuries and concussions you're expected to take. All the tackling and hits to the head have turned many pro players' brains into mush after several seasons, it's really sad how many of them end up becoming destitute after retiring. I hope the game eventually turns into replacing the players with robots, but I don't think your average NFL fan would fly with that... humans gotta be suffering and pushing through for the game to matter to them, I guess.

I haven't watched any games on TV since I was like 14, I've never been to an NFL game, and I don't follow any of it at all. BUT I do like to play a round of Madden or two when the occasion arises. It's a male-bonding ritual for many, so I've just picked up on how to play the game "correctly" from watching or asking them. I really have no desire to type out how to be good at Madden, but I'm sure there's gotta be several YouTube videos that break down how to play the game.

Not only is it dumb, it encourages dumbness with all the injuries and concussions you're expected to take. All the tackling and hits to the head have turned many pro players' brains into mush after several seasons, it's really sad how many of them end up becoming destitute after retiring. I hope the game eventually turns into replacing the players with robots, but I don't think your average NFL fan would fly with that... humans gotta be suffering and pushing through for the game to matter to them, I guess.

I haven't watched any games on TV since I was like 14, I've never been to an NFL game, and I don't follow any of it at all. BUT I do like to play a round of Madden or two when the occasion arises. It's a male-bonding ritual for many, so I've just picked up on how to play the game "correctly" from watching or asking them. I really have no desire to type out how to be good at Madden, but I'm sure there's gotta be several YouTube videos that break down how to play the game.

My old friend Steve was such a hard core Madden NFL player when I known him, that he would play his game against the CPU with the expert/highest difficulty setting that one madden game had. and he also had the in-game injury setting turned up to the maximum. This guy knew the game's insides and outs. I've played a little Madden NFL myself against the CPU but I don't have fun with it that much .

you basically just pick coin side, then you pick a play by play strategy. And when you are on offence, you press a button to throw the ball backwards. Then try to throw the ball to one of your other players up front of you. or just take the football and run like hell, try to avoid getting tackled while getting as far forward down the field as possible. Before you are tackled by the other players. the hard part for me is knowing what to do when the players start saying. HUT HUT HUT, and if you don't press the correct button when you hear the players shouting Hut you can get a penalty.

the goal like someone else said, is to keep carrying the ball down as far down the field as possible, and when you are tackled on offence further down then you were before you gain ground. Then have less field to move to get a touchdown. when you are on defense you simply pick a  play by play Strategy. and just try to tackle the CPU player that has the ball before he gains ground on your own side of the field. I think a touchdown is one point, then you kick. That is the easy part of the game, it the ball was kicked between the goal posts than you get 7 more points I think.

however if you are tackled with the ball and are behind on your end of the field you lose ground and if you keep losing ground you eventually get scored on.

Hockey is a better video game sport in my own opinion, and it's more violent and dangerous than football is in real life, I don't know which sport is more painful American Football or Major League Hockey ::)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:52:59 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

My old friend Steve was such a hard core Madden NFL player when I known him, that he would play his game against the CPU with the expert/highest difficulty setting that one madden game had. and he also had the in-game injury setting turned up to the maximum. This guy knew the game's insides and outs. I've played a little Madden NFL myself against the CPU but I don't have fun with it that much .

you basically just pick coin side, then you pick a play by play strategy. And when you are on offence, you press a button to throw the ball backwards. Then try to throw the ball to one of your other players up front of you. or just take the football and run like hell, try to avoid getting tackled while getting as far forward down the field as possible. Before you are tackled by the other players. the hard part for me is knowing what to do when the players start saying. HUT HUT HUT, and if you don't press the correct button when you hear the players shouting Hut you can get a penalty.

the goal like someone else said, is to keep carrying the ball down as far down the field as possible, and when you are tackled on offence further down then you were before you gain ground. Then have less field to move to get a touchdown. when you are on defense you simply pick a  play by play Strategy. and just try to tackle the CPU player that has the ball before he gains ground on your own side of the field. I think a touchdown is one point, then you kick. That is the easy part of the game, it the ball was kicked between the goal posts than you get 7 more points I think.

however if you are tackled with the ball and are behind on your end of the field you lose ground and if you keep losing ground you eventually get scored on.

Hockey is a better video game sport in my own opinion, and it's more violent and dangerous than football is in real life, I don't know which sport is more painful American Football or Major League Hockey ::)

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all, just dropping some knowledge for those who aren’t familiar with American football scoring:

Getting the ball to the end of the field (end zone) is a touchdown, worth 6 points. Teams then have the option to kick the ball through the goal posts for 1 extra point (which is what happens 95% of the time), or get the ball into the end zone again from I think 5 yards out, which earns them an extra 2 points (called a 2-point conversion).

If a team doesn’t reach the end zone, they can try to kick the ball through the goal posts from their current position on the field, which is a field goal and worth 3 points. Of course, the farther you are from the end zone, the harder it is.

There is one other way of scoring: a safety, which is worth 2 points, and can be earned by the defense tackling the opposing ball carrier in their own end zone. However this is extremely rare and the definition of a safety can be pretty complicated; I just gave a basic description here.