Author Topic: Found a Sealed Super Mario Bros - Realistic Value?  (Read 3490 times)

Found a Sealed Super Mario Bros - Realistic Value?
« on: November 25, 2019, 12:04:22 am »
So I recently picked up a sealed copy of Super Mario Bros for the NES at a local thrift store. It's a genuine REV-A with the H-seal. There's no top hanger though. It's in very good condition. Anyone have any idea on the value or what it could realistically go for on eBay? I searched sold listings and saw a couple similar ones that sold for $1k-$2k. I know the top hanger and tester sticker ones are more valuable. I wonder if mine was originally a top hanger and the hanger fell off or was peeled off at some point over the years. Does anyone know for sure if all REV-A's were top hangers? Thanks for any help.

Flashback2012

Re: Found a Sealed Super Mario Bros - Realistic Value?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 03:08:50 am »
So I recently picked up a sealed copy of Super Mario Bros for the NES at a local thrift store. It's a genuine REV-A with the H-seal. There's no top hanger though. It's in very good condition. Anyone have any idea on the value or what it could realistically go for on eBay? I searched sold listings and saw a couple similar ones that sold for $1k-$2k. I know the top hanger and tester sticker ones are more valuable. I wonder if mine was originally a top hanger and the hanger fell off or was peeled off at some point over the years. Does anyone know for sure if all REV-A's were top hangers? Thanks for any help.

A guy I know who runs a gaming flea market booth told me that people are going bonkers for black box releases with the circle seal on them and paying top dollar on eBay. I think the hang tab is a factor as well but I don't remember. I have a couple of round seal boxes in my collection but my games were Frankenstein'd together over the years. Wish I could be of more help.  :P

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:36:19 am »
Thanks. Mine has the white oval seal unfortunately, so I think that means its a slightly later release probably around 1989-1990 according to the article below. I found this very helpful article while doing so more research on these black box releases and different variations.

https://www.watagames.com/learn/blog/post/nes-black-box-variant-guide/

It explains the differences and even ties them to a release date period they were sold.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 01:16:03 pm »
As for listing this on eBay, would you recommend running an auction with a reserve or a straight buy it now? What would you guys set the price at if you were selling this? Thanks!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 05:52:19 pm »
Throw it on eBay with a reserve of whatever you think is your bottom dollar.

I’d expect it to go past $2k these days.

If you want to sell it to me, I’ll give you a sweet $50 for it.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 08:38:55 pm »
Anybody think it would be worth it to hold onto it and maybe in like 5-10 years it would be worth even more? I know it's probably hard to tell, but do you think this would increase in value over time?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 05:59:20 pm »
Anybody think it would be worth it to hold onto it and maybe in like 5-10 years it would be worth even more? I know it's probably hard to tell, but do you think this would increase in value over time?

Maybe. If I pm you my info, will you send me some pictures?  I might be able to help you find a buyer.

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:21:23 am »
Throw it on eBay with a reserve of whatever you think is your bottom dollar.

Never bother with reserve prices on eBay; they’re a crock of shit. Not only are you throwing money away (especially if the item doesn’t sell), but most buyers don’t like when an auction has them. Either list the item you’re trying to sell with a starting bid that you’re comfortable with were the listing attract just a single bidder, or list it at the price you want the item to sell for, in which case you’re better off listing it as a BIN instead of an auction.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!