Author Topic: Having PC issues...  (Read 7406 times)

Having PC issues...
« on: November 25, 2019, 11:41:25 pm »
So this started this past week, but I've had some general issues for awhile now.  Previously I would get these weird freeze ups, not often, but once in a blue moon, my computer would just freeze and then recover.  Sometimes I'd get what felt like my PC crawling, and I thought I noticed in the task manager that maybe my hard drive performance was maxing out.  In the past week though, I've twice had a blue screen with the whole ":(" face on it and then get the restart and it would come back fine.  It's never when I'm doing a lot, like I can game totally fine, but these issues sprung up with just general computer use, watching stuff online and doing other normal things.

I run a SDD setup for windows and regular program stuff and then most of my game installs and files are on a bigger HDD, so is it possible something like that is having issues?  Like I wouldn't mind switching to a full SDD setup, honestly something I should've done the first time I built this PC, but I wanted to save a few bucks and maybe that's biting me in the ass.  I just don't know what exactly is wrong.  Speccy isn't showing anything overheating and like I said, I can game just fine.  Just not sure how to start troubleshooting this.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:58:09 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Re: Having PC issues...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:38 am »
Sounds like an issue with Windows, probably some sort of corruption from either updates, AV, other software, or a combo of all those. I'd say you should also run a check disk to make sure your SSD is doing okay. Run this command to see if there is any file corruption in Windows. This command may also fix any issues if there are any.

sfc /scannow

Also run this to check the SSD.

chkdsk /f /r

This will look for any errors on the SSD and attempt to fix them. I kind of doubt this is the issue seeing how most failed SSDs I've seen are pretty all or nothing. They don't have platters like standard HDDs so there is no such like as corrupted sectors, but there can still be logical corruption on an SSD.

As a last resort you might want to consider reinstalling Windows. Make sure you back up anything you need to beforehand and then doing a fresh install an all. I actually had to do this a few months back on my gaming PC. Too many years of updates, installing and uninstalling, and various other things made it necessary after several years. Runs like a champ now. Try those out and let me know if any of that helps. Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 12:22:48 am »
Tried the scan, but just said "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."

There's no other accounts on here and I checked my info and it does say administrator on it, so not sure what is up.

Seems like a permissions issue for the other one also.

I was prepared for a windows reinstall, that maybe a fresh install could help or I would even attempt testing if it's a hard drive issue by going with the sole 512gb SSD alone to see if that cuts out a possible problem, but figured I'd try some trouble shooting things before getting to that as that doesn't leave me much storage space otherwise.  Or vice versa with the standard HDD which gives more storage.

*edit* And now its just blue screening regularly.  Just gonna do the windows reinstall on my ssd and see how things go.

And for some reason I cant get windows to install on either hard drives.  Never had an issue before, but either I screwed up something or they just do not want to reformat or install Windows.  Thought it was just deleting the partition and reinstalling windows, but either one wont format or let me install on a new partition.  I dont know, I think I screwed up something...never had this kind of issue before, but I never had a dual hard drive setup before.  Frustrating.  Maybe I have to buy a new hard drive...too tired to care about it now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:43:25 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 09:32:50 am »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 01:02:12 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 09:41:04 am »
Tried the scan, but just said "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."

You need to run Command Prompt as Administrator.

Upload the memory.dmp or minidumps (3 most recent) someplace and link to them here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:44:42 am by tripredacus »

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 02:10:49 pm »
Well I got ahead of myself and and should have just waited, but the scan doesnt mean anything now.  Unable to reinstall windows on either my hard drive or ssd.  Wont let me reformat them to the proper type with the free space.  Think I just screwed up something due to the hard drives installed together, something I had not used before.  Shouldn't have rushed ahead withe reinstall
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 02:19:48 pm by kamikazekeeg »

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 02:53:01 pm »
Disconnect all disks besides the one your OS is on for a reinstall.

What is the error you receive?

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 03:27:54 pm »

Disconnected both before and tried to install windows separately on either one, but after clearing the partition on the ssd, it just wont let me format it to the right nfts format and the hdd when clearing that to install windows, it just gave me some like 10 digit error on when trying to get it to do anything after clearing the partition.  I think I just made things harder on myself than I should have, but I was sure I had done it this way before.  Just ready to buy a fresh hard drive at best buy with the black Friday sale at this point, getting the 1tb ssd I should have bought in the first place when building the pc.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 03:47:31 pm »
you said you have or had 2 internal hardrives? On my Windows XP machine I had (2) 40 gigabyte hard drives internally and I never ran to any issues like this. Sorry that you need a new harddrive :(

All I know is on my Windows XP machine I had one main harddrive with the OS on it and another just for extra storage.

be careful with free Amime sites and non secure site next time, and maybe use less apps, this is vary bad news that this could happen
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:49:25 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 04:20:35 pm »

it just gave me some like 10 digit error

If you want to troubleshoot it, you need to post exactly what you are doing, and exactly what errors you are receiving.
If not, then that's fine, but you need to be specific about what you want.

Oldgamerz, if you aren't going to contribute to this specific problem, stay out of the thread until it is resolved.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:23:01 pm by tripredacus »

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 04:59:19 pm »
The hard drive wont let me install Windows as the "selected disk is of the GPT style.  Doing new on the unallocated space just gives me an error and cant create partition.  Error: 0xa345eec0 .  Is this an issue due to how I had the hdd setup with the sdd before?

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 05:15:31 pm »
Make sure to use the one-time boot menu key and select the UEFI boot option representing your OS install media.
If the entire disk is shown as unallocated, don't bother creating any new partitions, just click Next. Let Windows do it for you.
If you already have some partitions created, but there is unallocated space, I'm not sure how Setup handles this. Usually I will delete all partitions before clicking next on Unallocated. I won't be able to test this scenario until tomorrow.

Verify the hex code you posted: 0xA345EEC0, seems to be invalid.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 05:35:49 pm »
Looked up uefi and it isnt anywhere on the windows install disk.  And while clicking the unallocated space, it wont let me do next because of the gpt style.

And the error keeps changing when I click new partition, so yeah, not sure about that either

Edit - went back to the ssd and it also is in this Gpt partition style, so cant install windows to it.

Double edit - figured out how to convert from gpt to Mbr and I am able to get Windows installed on the ssd now.  Not alot of space on this 512gb sdd, it only had half that available for some reason, but because of this I should be able to do the same to my other bigger hard drive and get that work.  I will get windiws reinstalled one way or another and then I can go back to check the hard drives for errors.

*EDIT*
Got windows installed on my SDD. but I feel like I'm noticing some CPU spikes.  Hasn't blue screened yet, but feels like I'm seeing occasional spikes over 50% utilization.  Not constantly, but don't think I should be seeing that running very basic programs.  Just gonna keep everything like this for the moment, see if I get any blue screens or any issues, I'll probably run that scan to check the SSD, see if there are any issues there.  I'll probably end up moving over to my bigger regular HDD for the space in the long term, but hopefully this will allow me to figure out what exactly is going wrong by troubleshooting specific things.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:42:23 pm by kamikazekeeg »

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 09:59:11 am »
Ok well if it does get a BSOD, you can link to me the memory dump and I can take a look at it.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 04:43:36 pm »
Windows 10 has been having a lot of updates recently, and sometimes they won't go in unless you manually click to update windows 10, and that can cause issues.

You could have a virus or worm that is undetectable, I've been there before. and don't use the Steam app OR a lot of other apps for that matter God knows I've had a lot of performance issues as soon as I install that Steam app, On a fresh re-install of windows 10. So sadly I had to abandoned all my steam games.

Steam is garbage sorry but I used to love Steam, until I found out that once I re-install that steam app on windows 10 my computer starts having a ton of issues all over again.

I mean it! I am sorry to say some asshole may have stuck a wrench in our fun on steam.

People these days have a variety of ways to mess with our computers, I been there. But I noticed that for some odd reason my computer starts acting weird as soon as I install steam. I am prepared to get a bad response saying this but I leveled out all other odds.

I run a virus scan almost every day and I manually click to update windows often when something does not seem right and I also run a Disk Clean up

and sometimes you need to right click on the command Prompt icon and select run as Administrator.

(edit) uninstalling steam never worked for me I still had the issues even after uninstalling it. the only way to fix your performance after you install steam is to reinstall windows 10.

for more information about this steam problem check out this thread and it's responses

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10361.msg169940.html#msg169940

I've had steam for nearly a decade, and never had any issues.