Author Topic: A Year in Review - 2019  (Read 1671 times)

kashell

A Year in Review - 2019
« on: December 16, 2019, 08:07:31 am »
It's that time again already. The year flew by; 2019 is coming to a close. Once again, I thought it would be fun to have everyone reflect on their gaming journeys throughout the year. I'll make some categories. You fill them in. This has always been fun for me to read. Hopefully, it's just as fun for the rest of you.

Categories:

Favorite 2019 Release: What's your favorite game that you played this year that was released in 2019?

Least Favorite 2019 Release: On the opposite end, what's your least favorite game released in 2019?

Favorite Game Played in 2019: What game this year earns your spot for best game ever? It could be released in 2019 if you like.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: What's your least favorite game that you played this year?

Sleeper Hit of 2019: What's your personal sleeper hit for 2019?

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: What moment in a game you played this sticks in your head the strongest? Was it something awesome? Something tragic? Something completely over the top? Keep spoilers to a minimum or mark them if you can.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: Share a story about a cool find from this year!

I'll give my answers in the next post. Have fun!

Re: A Year in Review - 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 08:55:05 am »
Will continue to edit it until I'm happy

Favorite 2019 Release: I really had trouble with this, this year, because I have two games that I'm just absolutely in love with. Control and Sekiro Topped my list for the year.  I really loved both and had convinced myself that Control was the winner, but I played Control more recently so you have that bias when thinking about it.  It's the thing when Smash comes up at the end of the year, did you really like it or is it because it just came out.  I wanted to say Control, but Sekiro winning GOTY at TGA made me rethink about it.  I'm still thinking about it.

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Anthem.  I really don't know much about this, but I've heard it's not good and it's already in the bargain bins.

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Control... maybe Sekiro.  Really this is gonna be the same as the first question.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: Code of Princess EX.  I had hopes for this game, but the animations and gameplay kinda suck.  I got about 16 levels in until I hit a level that is just ridiculous and I just couldn't figure it out so I abandoned the game.

Sleeper Hit of 2019: Code Vein.  I had been interested in this game for quite some time, but the game came out with little to no fanfare, so it just fell off the radar, and I ignored it because I figured it fell off the radar for a reason... but oh my glob am I enjoying the fuck out of this game.  It definitely won't top Sekiro or Control, but damn is this game enjoyable.  There is so much more I need to learn about this game to be more efficient, but I'm just really loving it and it might keep me until I get Death Stranding.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: I'm gonna go with the announcement of Banjo & Kazooie in Smash bros.  That's some pretty exciting stuff, may not have any implications, but it's exciting nevertheless.  There were also a lot of moments in the God of War and Metal Gear Solid franchises that were just pretty amazing.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: Either selling dupes and stuff to pay for bigger titles, so knocking out tons of high price games, or the fact that I finally built a custom shelfing unit for jewel cases/long boxes.  I'm super proud of that, as it clears up so much space and also makes effective use of space.

And as always I'm going to add some of my own categories

Proudest Gaming Accomplishment in 2019: Finally getting the platinum trophy for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.  But I'll also add in getting the platinum trophy for Sekiro, that was another tough one.  But I'll also add I'm really proud of myself for doing a franchise run of God of War AND Metal Gear Solid.

Favorite Game Revisited in 2019: Again this award goes to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.  I play this game yearly attempting to work my way towards that platinum trophy, and I make a little progress each year.  I love this game so damned much.  Definitely in my top 5 games of all time.  Finally got the platinum trophy this year.

Least Favorite Game beat in 2019: Ether One.  I give this game a lot of shit, and it's mostly to do with one puzzle that I couldn't figure out how to solve and couldn't find an explanation of how to solve it other than trial and error, it made me really mad and I rage finished the game.  First game I played this year, and recently someone explained how you are supposed to get the answer, so maybe one day I'll forgive this game, but not today.

Top 10 Games played in 2019:
  • Control (PS4)
  • Spiderman (PS4)
  • Sekiro (PS4)
  • Code Vein (X1)
  • God of War 2018 (PS4)
  • West of Loathing (NS)
  • Rage 2 (X1)
  • Witcher 3 (X1)
  • Octopath Traveler (NS)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

Ten worst games played in 2019

• Code of Princess EX (NS)
  • Ether One (PS4)
  • WWE 2K19 (X1)
  • My Girlfriend is a Mermaid (NS)
  • Borderlands Presequel (X1)
  • Days Gone (PS4)
  • Flinthook (NS)
  • Lili: Child of Geos (PS4)
  • Catherine: Full Body (PS4)
  • Owlboy (NS)

and I'm gonna try to do some end of the decade stuff down here too at some point.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:36:42 am by ignition365 »

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:10:21 am »
Favorite 2019 Release: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Ace Combat 8: Skies Unknown (The Ace Combat series is my second favorite after Metal Gear, and yet, for me, this new entry had the least charismatic characters and the weekest story in the whole numbered series)

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Akumajo Dracula X: Gekka No Yasoukyoku for the Saturn (Even though this is a very flawed version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, this game continues being simply amazing)

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition (I finally got to play Minecraft for the first time in my life and... I simply don't get it...)

Sleeper Hit of 2019: Shin Sakura Taisen (Welcome back, Sakura Wars!)

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: The return of so many great Sega-owned properties such as the release of Shenmue III and of Shin Sakura Taisen and the announcement of the remake of Panzer Dragoon. C'mon, Sega! Now I want a new Burning Rangers and an Alex Kidd!

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: Probably Akumajo Dracula X: Gekka No Yasoukyoku for the Saturn. I didn't have time to go hunting as much as I wanted this year, but I'm very happy to finally have it added it to my collection.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:16:06 am by ferraroso »

kashell

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 10:32:01 am »
Favorite 2019 Release: Death end;re Quest. It mixes everything I like about anime, visual novels, horror, and RPGs into a splendid package. Idea Factory and Compile Heart have really stepped up their game. I'm excited to see what else they have in store for us next year. Honorable mention: Dragon Star Varnir.

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Our World Is Ended on the Switch. Ye gods, this might be the worst visual novel I've played. Nay, one of the worst games I've ever played. It does so much wrong from every vantage point. The only thing nice I have to say about it is that it functions. Luckily, I don't have any dishonorable mentions for this category.

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Whew. I played a lot of greatness this year. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Trials of Mana. I went through the game three times and each adventure was great. It feels surreal that I'm playing an officially translated version of it. On that note, an honorable mention goes to Romancing SaGa 3. Other shouts outs: Vandal Hearts II, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, and Kuon.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: Nostalgia for the DS. Horrible pacing, dull combat, and flat characters. It was so damn boring I couldn't be bothered to finish it. Dishonorable mentions: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age and Guardian's Crusade.

Sleeper Hit of 2019: Spirit Hunter: NG. I really, really hope that this series gains more steam and recognition. If NG is any indication of where the series is headed, then I'm 100% in. The game had some of the best atmosphere and story telling I've seen.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: Getting to wreck faces with Patty Fleur in Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition never grew old. While the game was kind of a let down, I'm glad that we finally have the most up to date version.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: I discovered a bunch of supplemental books/guides to SaGa Frontier, which is my favorite game of all time. Going through these has been really fun. A minor bonus is that it lets me test out my Japanese reading skills.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 10:36:07 am »
Favorite 2019 Release: Borderlands 3. I only played one game that came out this year.

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Black Ops 4

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: Getting to play against Sirian in Black Ops 4. You might think it to be dumb, since I never won any of those matches. I did kill him a couple of times (but not xcal) and Sirian is one of the best PC Call of Duty players. I'm not sure if I learned anything in particular in those games, but it was interesting to face against him in a match nonetheless.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: Probably when I hit 450 releases in the Genesis collection. I'm certain that happened this year.

godzilla

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 11:38:43 am »
Favorite 2019 Release  Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I simply loved every minute of this game...I played through it three times!

Least Favorite 2019 Release  GRID. I didn't play any stinkers this year but this was mediocre in every way.

Favorite Game Played in 2019 Assassin's Creed Odyssey. This one came as a surprise as I am a bit ambivalent towards AC games. I spent three weeks playing several hours a day!

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019 GRID again.

Sleeper Hit of 2019 The Gardens Between. It's short but sweet.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019 Playing Spyro Reignited with my daughter...her first game and she is hooked :)

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019 I haven't been collecting long so getting to 100 PS4 games was cool.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 01:50:05 pm »
Favorite 2019 Release: Shenmue 3, but Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order was a very close 2nd

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Pokemon Sword

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Shenmue 3, but again Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order was right on its heels, and right up there with those two was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which I'm sad it took me this long to play.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: World of Heroes Perfect

Sleeper Hit of 2019: I'm not sure I played anything that would qualify

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: Finally after 18-years being able to play Shenmue 3, a game I was all, but certain would never happen. Ys Net really nailed it with this game and it was 95% of everything I could have ever hoped for.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: My collecting was at an all time low this year, but I'd have to say jumping back into Sega Saturn collecting and owning Panzer Dragoon Saga for about a month. I sold it after playing it and while it was good, I didn't feel like it was even close to $600+ good so I sold it to a local collector who was through the roof happy to add it to his collection :)

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 02:46:24 pm »
Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: obtaining a NES/Regular Nintendo classic/mini a Super Nintendo classic mini and a PlayStation 1 Classic Mini

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Probably Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 for the PlayStation 2, I finally got farther in this game then ever before. That golf game has no difficulty level so if you play it it is extremely hard. (edit) when you verse the CPU players in challenge mode to unlock them.

Even after your character is leveled up to the max and buying the best equipment. If you ever Play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 remember after you earn any money to buy your in-game character max skill level. and to buy the best equipment from the in-game pro shop also some clothing gives you a bonus luck skill as well.

As for modern games well I don't really own anything modern so I'll leave this short
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 03:02:18 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 06:36:00 pm »
Favorite 2019 Release: Not sure on a specific one yet, but it's either Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, Death Stranding, or Resident Evil 2.

Least Favorite 2019 Release: - Probably Far Cry: New Dawn.  Far Cry 5 wasn't a particularly great game to begin with and the sequel to that didn't really do anything notable.

Favorite Game Played in 2019: I had been meaning to play Darksiders 3 since it released last year and I had a lot of fun with it.  I wasn't in love with the combat changes, but I love Fury as a character and in general the more Dark Souls-like setup was generally good.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: State of Decay 2 sucks.  It's a bad sequel that added nothing (Aside from co-op which is useless to me).

Sleeper Hit of 2019: Cadence of Hyrule absolutely.  Just a cute little rhythm action game with great music and art and I was surprised with how much I loved it.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: Death Stranding had a lot of moments where the crazy visuals were just so impressive.  Don't really want to give specifics due to spoilers, but that game is a visual treat.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 10:23:32 pm »
Favorite 2019 Release: TLoZ: Link's Awakening. I had an incredibly fun time playing through this game and was astonished how well a nearly thirty year old Game Boy game holds up.
Least Favorite 2019 Release: Mario Maker 2. Not bad by any means but it somewhat lacks compared to the original, and not something I've touched in months.

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Golf Story was my favorite game I played this year. I can't wait for the sequel.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: Sonic Spinball.

Sleeper Hit of 2019: MediEvil for PS4. It was a great game to begin with, but the remake is even better.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: Playing and completing Zero Wing on the Mega Drive. "All Your Base Are Belong to Us"

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: Getting Castlevania: Rondo of Blood at a great price, getting Terranigma and an Action Replay to play through it authentically on my North American SNES, getting Metal Gear for the MSX2.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 11:20:29 pm »
Favorite 2019 Release: Resident Evil 2

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Dead Or Alive 6

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Resident Evil 2

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: VIP for PS1

Sleeper Hit of 2019: Axiom Verge

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: Pretty much all of the Resident Evil 2 remake. I loved the original as a kid and even to this day so to have it re-imagined and reliving it all with modern technology was awesome.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: Getting the ports of Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica on the Gamecube all complete at reasonable prices.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 11:36:17 pm »
Favorite 2019 Release: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, ‘coz it’s only one of 2 games I played that came out this year, lol (it really is good though, PS4 for those interested).

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Grim Fandango Remastered. The game itself is overrated (it is NOT the best point and click adventure ever, not even close, not even LucasArts’ best) and the remaster is junk (no true widescreen), and the added physical trinkets by iam8bit unbelievably lazy (a generic matchbook and the “golden ticket” a piece of generic cardboard). Sold it for a profit after beating it. GTFOutta here.

Favorite Game Played in 2019:
a) Splasher. This is an all time precision platformer. Amazing control, genius level progression, wrapped in simple, bright colours and an impossibly catchy soundtrack.

b) Dead Cells. One of the best games I have ever played. It borrows from so many genres, but absolutely sticks the landing, coupled with the prettiest pixel art I may have ever seen.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: Either Grim Fandango Remastered or 2064: Read Only Memories.

Sleeper Hit of 2019: Minit. Don’t overlook this fantastic game. Plain graphics, but wonderful music and a gimmick (you die after 60 seconds) that works brilliantly. This is NOT a rogue-like for anyone concerned. Screw the “on the nose” clones like a Blossom Tales, Oceanbore, or Macademia Bastille... this is the purest Zelda game not made by Nintendo.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: “8-Bit Nightmare” in Ritual of the Night. I can still hear those chip tunes now as if I was still playing...

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: I dunno, I think getting a brand new (hardware revision) Switch for 15% off (that’s over 70 CDN off when you factor in tax) thanks to an online code Toys R Us probably didn’t intend for video games late last month was a pretty good get.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:41:01 pm by bunnybear »
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 12:21:27 am »
Favorite 2019 Release:  NFS Heat so far :)   However I haven't quite given Borderlands 3 the proper play time it deserves.  I really can't wait to dive deeper into some of my black friday haul.     But NFS heat was actually a wonderful step in the proper direction for the franchise after many lackluster entires.

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Death Stranding.  I know it's very polarizing. But to me it's very awful. 

Favorite Game Played in 2019:  I don't recall playing super mario world this year.  But if I did,  It ranks very high on my all time list.     It has to be Minecraft though.   Minecraft is formulaic and amazing :D.    But Red Dead 2 also. 

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019:   Death Stranding and Maybe COD MW. 

Sleeper Hit of 2019: NFS Heat.   I know it's a racing game but it doesn't quite get much praise at all.  I think it's very fun :D

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019:  Xbox Series X announcement,  followed closely behind TLOU 2 trailer.   Both made me so emotional and excited.   I can't wait to buy both and be broke  ;D

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019:   It's been more of a funko pop year this year for me.  I can't actually think of much that I did great for my gaming collection this year.  if anything I unloaded about 5 rarer games from my collection and sold my switch lol.    But I hope to recover that passion this new year.  esp for the games i mentioned above and next gen epicness.

I'll give my answers in the next post. Have fun!

shfan

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 06:18:16 am »
(Nicked Ignition's additions too)

Favorite 2019 Release: Dragon Quest Builders 2 - massive, improves on the original, just a fantastic game all round.

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Probably Hellmut: The Badass From Hell (NSW/PS4), it's a totally generic twin-stick shooter with 'randomly generated' levels and it didn't hold my attention at all. There's going to be a lot worse games out there released this year, but this is one of the few I did try and it's bottom of that pile.

Favorite Game Played in 2019: Luigi's Mansion 3 (NSW) - Ninty's still got it, I'm not a die-hard Nintendo fan, but when it comes to platformers etc. they're the ones who remain consistently good, this was a joy to play, looked fantastic and had me smiling a lot. The hoodie-wearing dancing ghosts in the disco were a hoot.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: The Game Paradise: Cruisin Mix (PS4) - perhaps it's because I like shoot 'em ups, not because they're my favourite genre, but this one was just so dull, over-difficult, it left me puzzled as to why it's so in-demand.

Sleeper Hit of 2019: EDF 5, again, it's a cracking game and one which will be highly sought after in the future IMO.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: Building a village in water for the farmers in Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: Trading-in a lot of games, liquidating some handheld systems I dislike or which have no games I enjoy, as a result I've managed to acquire several other games instead, a Switch Lite and a load of blu rays. Old for new.

Proudest Gaming Accomplishment in 2019: Beating Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, meaning I've now beaten all of From's Soulsbourne series.

Favorite Game Revisited in 2019: Saw (360), I wasn't fussed the first time I tried it, but on replay I found a surprisingly good survival horror game which is off-the-radar, so impressed I ordered the sequel and want to play it soon.

Least Favorite Game beat in 2019: Drivegirls (Vita), one of several which convinced me to dispose of the system altogether, a lot of these games are more like doujin games than full-priced retail releases.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 06:41:38 am »
I haven't actually played a ton of 2019 releases yet, and I've liked every one that I did, but I'll do my level best.

Favorite 2019 Release: Resident Evil 2

Least Favorite 2019 Release: Even though I haven't played it, Anthem.  It really just hurts to see what it did to BioWare.

Favorite Game Played in 2019: It was really close, but I'll have to go with Resident Evil 2

Least Favorite Game Played in 2019: Star Wars: Empire at War.  Not really the RTS I was hoping it would be.  I was actually glad that my save got lost to the ether, so I don't feel like I have to play it now.

Sleeper Hit of 2019: Gato Roboto

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2019: Getting to kill Hitler in Wolfenstein II was great, even if it was a fail condition.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2019: I didn't do a ton of actual collecting this year but I am so happy that my Shovel Knight amiibo 3-pack finally arrived!