Author Topic: Question: Do You Remember People Calling The NES (The Regular Nintendo)  (Read 2050 times)

This question probally should not have it's own thread but I'm curious. Growing up in the 1990's others in my neighborhood never called the NES the NES or Nintendo Entertainment System, everyone called it the Regular Nintendo.

So what did you call the NES growing up? I haven't heard people call this thing the Regular Nintendo since the 1990's in my area
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Question: Do You Remember People Calling The NES (The Regular Nintendo)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 03:20:03 pm »
Not the "Regular Nintendo" but yeah I remember when it was just referred to as the Nintendo.

I was a Sega kid so I didn't hear the word Nintedo much, but I did a few times at other friends' houses who had either an NES or SNES.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:46:37 pm »
Yes, after the release of the SNES, NES was referred to as "Regular Nintendo" a lot by kids in my neighbourhood to differentiate it from the Super Nintendo. Parents, of course, referred to any and all video game consoles as "Nintendo"

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 06:00:30 pm »
I also never heard "Regular Nintendo" until this thread. It was always Nintendo, even after the Super Nintendo came out.

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 09:23:55 pm »
I hear Original Nintendo, Nintendo or NES. I always called it the NES personally.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 10:32:02 pm »
We called them the Nintendo and the Super Nintendo.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 12:24:35 am »
Yup,  all the older members of my family call them regular nintendos lol.   I think maybe because Super Nintendo was super so the older one must be regular lol.   It's pretty neat we both hear that a lot.  Maybe we live Geographically close and the slang is similar. 

Hope you have a Merry Christmas Old Gamerz

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 12:49:02 am »
Yep. At school and on the bus it was referred to as “Regular Nintendo” after Super NES came out.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 07:38:07 am »
We had the NES prior to the SNES, so it was always just Nintendo. I assume it would have been 'regular Nintendo' later on, but my neighborhood was populated by Genesis, so it wasn't really relevant. I actually don't remember anyone even having an SNES until my brother got one just before/during the PlayStation era, & he didn't have it very long. I sometimes find myself a lil' frustrated exploring the retro scene, given the high focus the SNES (& to a lesser degree N64) get- sometimes it feels like my non-Nintendo experience is being treated as irrelevant. That's just a me thing though.

ferraroso

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 07:58:25 am »
Well, even though we had many Famiclones at the time, the original NES or Famicom were really rare sights in Brazil in the late 80's and early 90's.

For us, the Master System was the absolute and undisputed king of that generation.

Indeed, the original NES was only officially released in the country when the SNES was already out, so I remember we used to refer to it as the "Nintendinho", which literally meant "Little or Tiny Nintendo", whereas the SNES would usually be called the "Super NES". (NES being always pronounced as a single world, as in "Loch Ness")
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 08:00:41 am by ferraroso »

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 09:47:43 am »
I only knew one kid in 7th grade that had a Super Nintendo. For some reason kids I knew went from Nintendo to Genesis or never had a video game system after that until the PlayStation.

The only weird names I remember from back then was that people called the Nintendo and Atari carts as "tapes" and one family member always referred to the Master System as the Sega Vision.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 01:25:51 pm »
We had the NES prior to the SNES, so it was always just Nintendo. I assume it would have been 'regular Nintendo' later on, but my neighborhood was populated by Genesis, so it wasn't really relevant. I actually don't remember anyone even having an SNES until my brother got one just before/during the PlayStation era, & he didn't have it very long. I sometimes find myself a lil' frustrated exploring the retro scene, given the high focus the SNES (& to a lesser degree N64) get- sometimes it feels like my non-Nintendo experience is being treated as irrelevant. That's just a me thing though.

Between myself and my best friend, we got to experience the full spectrum of the offerings of the Console War. I had a SMS, while my best friend had a NES. For the next generation, I had a SNES, and he had a Genesis, so we'd both get to play whatever system we didn't own while we at the other's house. I have chosen to focus my collecting on the SNES, because it holds the most nostalgia for me, but Sega consoles were very much part of my childhood as well, and I agree that they tend to take a back seat to Nintendo in the nostalgia business.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 04:38:28 pm »
We just called it Nintendo.
I do remember my friends Grandma calling it Intendo though.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 11:42:58 pm »
Yep. My family referred to it as the regular nintendo.

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 09:41:52 am »
We just called it Nintendo.
I do remember my friends Grandma calling it Intendo though.

I remember little kids saying "Super Intendo"  :)