Author Topic: Is price much of a factor when you pick a console at the start of a generation?  (Read 2741 times)

I bought XB1 before PS4 (launch day) despite a $100/£80 or so price difference.

I thought Xbox had a stronger launch lineup with Forza Motorsport 5, Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3.

I kinda knew I was going to own both in the end so price was kinda irrelevant given intention to buy both.

If I had to choose between only Xbox or only PlayStation I don’t think I’d be bothered about the price difference. After all an extra hundred bucks does me no good if there’s nothing on the system that appeals for me to play.

Most likely no,  it matters to a certain extent.  By that I mean if it's 2,000.  Yeah, i'm not gonna buy it.  But realistically.  Anything in the feasible realm of console pricing 400-1200 bucks.  I'll probably spring it if I love the console.   :)    I won't buy the console I don't like as much just because it's 100-200 bucks cheaper.

I don't know how to answer this question in my own words but, I will share this

hey as far as I know gaming consoles are cheaper than gaming PC computers right?

At least this was true when I was growing up. A PlayStation 1 as well as the Nintendo 64.  goggle said was $200 USD. at launch But ,of course you had to buy the television separate. it would probably would cost you maybe around $500 for a decent tv back then? But, almost everyone had a television already at least in my country.

But In the 1990's (even though) A PC would often come with a monitor, keyboard,  hardware in shell  unit, software, sometimes games, and mouse but the cheapest one cost at least $1000 USD

and if you only payed $1000 USD back in the 1990's chances are your PC would need to be upgraded.

most of the gaming consoles didn't usually need upgrades.
But the Nintendo 64 however did so, but the PlayStation 1 just needed memory cards as an accessory to gameplay progress

So $700 USD in the 1990's would probably get you a 5th generation console new, as well as a brand new television

vs.

the average  low end PC of the time $1000 USD (usually PC's costed more) at least $300 more for probably the same thing

My first real PC came with a few video games, as well as my PlayStation 1 came bundled with a demo disc and I heard rumours that Some Nintendo 64 consoles for the same price (I'm assuming) came with Super Mario 64?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 09:32:48 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

I rarely buy consoles at launch, but yeah, price is part of the equation as to when i buy a console. The other huge part of the equation is how many games appeal to me on a console. Since brand new consoles have a very limited selection of games to choose from there typically isn't anything that inspires me to take the plunge and get it day 1. This is the promise of more games later down the road, but I like to be sure before dropping $300+ dollars.

No matter what, buying a new console is always, always based on the games. Does this system have enough games I want to own to justify the cost?

So, I guess it kind of factors in, since it's easier to justify a cheaper console. As an example, I wouldn't pay the going rate for a 32X, but if I found one working with all the bits for like 20 bucks? The 2-3 games I kinda care about would make that worth it. My Xbox One is in my collection pretty much entirely becuase of a killer Amazon Prime Day sale.

Not surprisingly, I've never actually picked up a console at at launch. Lineup's never good enough.

For some folks it can, though to me it doesn't matter since the price difference is never that much.  It comes down to what games there are.  Neither Xbox One or PS4 had a very good set of launch games, until PS4 did have the games with more coming and Xbox One had jack squat, so that's when I went PS4.

Warmsignal

Not really, but usually Nintendo consoles are the most affordable and most appealing to me. I feel like the cost is usually justified for them. Other consoles I pick up usually at a reduced price, or a bundle deal, or even second hand depending on availability at the time.

ferraroso

Well, unless I feel it to be extremely overpriced, like ¥80,000 (around US$730,00) or so, any home console Sony launches is a day one pick for me!
On the other hand, unless they are release for less than ¥25,000 (US$230,00), I don't see myself buying anything made by Nintendo or Microsoft...

Never bought a console day 1. but with the upcoming console release I just might buy 1 (Depending on the line up). I bought the switch a few months after launch because I wanted to see what the lineup had besides mario + Zelda. But I try to buy all the consoles of a generation (I know I'm still missing a few) so I'll see what happens.

I don't think I've ever bought a console at launch either - Good think too because look at what a joke the VCR-like DAY ONE Xbox One Edition is like :P

Price point is a factor, also these days I am begnning to look into saving a bit better so limiting my pre-orders for next year already. As for a new console, I find often that the launch titles are underwhelming - it's certainly been the case for the PS3 & PS4. The first title I REALLY needed on PS3 was Metal Gear Solid 4 in 2008 & on PS4 Probably MGS5 (I bought Ground Zeroes on PS3 at first). It will take something BIG like a Final Fantasy XVI to really get me invested into a Next Generation Console.

Also, another factor is my TV set-up. I actually have a 4K TV already, it's 43 Inches but it's too big for my lounge area! I currently have a 32' Samsung that is just right and they don't seem to really make 4K TV's that small... so will have to consider if it really is worh the upgrade.

Price has little to do with my choices since im normally into more Niche titles. I tend to pickup both Sony and Nintendo's consoles around when they're new [within launch year].

Nope, I'll be buying both the Xbox and PS5 next year.

Not these days. Gaming is pretty much my only hobby.
When I was younger, still living at home, working a part time minimum wage job, it absolutely made a difference.

mark1982

Games is what matters, I won’t buy a console at launch for the sake of buying a console. I still have plenty to play from this generation alone..

Once a title comes out that I really want to play then I will pick up the console. I bought a PS4 with Bloodborne. A Switch with Breath of the Wild. An Xbox one with, well got it for free as a gift..

Prob a PS5 with Elden Ring. So no, price doesn’t really play that much of a role, more about the content.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 03:42:30 am by mark1982 »
  l    l 

Price doesn’t matter much, I buy both Sony and MS so games at launch do not matter either. 

I like the new XBOX console style so that will be likely a first week/month purchase— not doing first day just out of principal.  The PS5 is a 50/50 buy for me.  Need to see more.