Author Topic: X Box One / X Box Series X  (Read 858 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

X Box One / X Box Series X
« on: November 15, 2021, 06:51:53 pm »
why can't you submit X Box Series X Games? I pay 10 dollars more for them than the regular X Box One games but we still don't acknowledge them?

dhaabi

Re: X Box One / X Box Series X
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 09:12:23 pm »
Xbox Series X games can be submitted. In fact, there are numerous Xbox Series X games currently in their respective categories and are valid. That being said, the community earlier this year engaged in both a discussion thread and polling thread regarding how multi-platform or co-branded releases are to be categorized in our database.

Concerning entries you've created such as Call of Duty: Vanguard, the packaging states both Xbox One and Xbox Series X. The community has decided that co-branded releases like this should be categorized in the oldest console mentioned. Entries that are currently organized in the Xbox Series X categories mention only Xbox Series X—not Xbox One and Xbox Series X.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 11:18:39 pm »
Ok I understand but shouldn't that mean you would need both Items listed separately under the X Box One? Because their are two separate entries at different price points.One is cross gen and the cheaper one is not? Also thank you in advance for your help with this.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 12:53:55 am »
I think Vanguard is going out of their way to make it confusing as possible. For most games with a Series X and Xbox One version, the disc contains both versions and will install the appropriate one when placed in a system. Vanguard, however, doesn't work that way. Instead, with that one, if you buy the one marked for Xbox One and put it in a Series X, you'll be playing the Xbox One version on a Series X, not the Series X version; The box is just marked Series X because technically the game is playable on the X via backwards compatibility. But if someone buys the Series X version, it then has the "bonus" of the Xbox One version on it as well.

So, Vanguard should have 2 entries in the Xbox One section, one for the Xbox One version, and the other for the bundle of the Xbox One & Series X versions.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 11:17:12 am »
I think Vanguard is going out of their way to make it confusing as possible. For most games with a Series X and Xbox One version, the disc contains both versions and will install the appropriate one when placed in a system. Vanguard, however, doesn't work that way. Instead, with that one, if you buy the one marked for Xbox One and put it in a Series X, you'll be playing the Xbox One version on a Series X, not the Series X version; The box is just marked Series X because technically the game is playable on the X via backwards compatibility. But if someone buys the Series X version, it then has the "bonus" of the Xbox One version on it as well.

So, Vanguard should have 2 entries in the Xbox One section, one for the Xbox One version, and the other for the bundle of the Xbox One & Series X versions.
Wow that is hot garbage.  Thanks Activision.

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 11:23:34 am »
Ok I understand but shouldn't that mean you would need both Items listed separately under the X Box One? Because their are two separate entries at different price points.One is cross gen and the cheaper one is not? Also thank you in advance for your help with this.

There are two separate Call of Duty: Vanguard Xbox items, so two entries are permitted in the same category.

Xbox One / Xbox Series X
Xbox Series X / Xbox One

When the second item has an en entry created, the title descriptors can rely on either their differing back item numbers or their differing front black labels like I typed out above.

defthead

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 03:29:20 pm »
I have to say that respectfully in my opinion XSX/XONE games released being categorized as oldest consoler version in this case to XONE does not make any sense, they are released for XBOX series X branded capable of running on XONE, even on the label it mentions first Xbox Series X and on the top right corner they clearly state Xbox Series X. In nature the games from Microsoft are released for XBOX series X and compatible with XONE and not the other way around.

This is definitely annoying, using this tool for 7 years, and this is the first time a categorization issue like this makes me thing to possibly drop from the platform to another one.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 05:07:14 pm »
From the end of the long conversation about this topic:

It was a close vote, so people are really split on it. I think that no matter which option had come out on top, there would be equal amount of complaints about it. This is really just a situation where a different behaviour or design of how the site works with the data (ie: how it is displayed to the user) would be the ideal way to remedy things like this.

dhaabi

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 06:09:43 pm »
I have to say that respectfully in my opinion XSX/XONE games released being categorized as oldest consoler version in this case to XONE does not make any sense, they are released for XBOX series X branded capable of running on XONE, even on the label it mentions first Xbox Series X and on the top right corner they clearly state Xbox Series X. In nature the games from Microsoft are released for XBOX series X and compatible with XONE and not the other way around.

Actually, the packaging design you've described is only for some items. When our forums held a discussion thread about this issue eight months ago—and only five months after the Xbox Series X launch—there were already six different types of packaging, with most of them actually not featuring the top-right Series X logo. In fact, some are even Xbox One branded. And, since then, I can think of at least one additional packaging type that features a white banner, no top branding, and both Xbox Series X / Xbox One labels which only adds to the growing designs that are not simple for us to categorize with our current system. The six aforementioned design types are listed below.

"Xbox One" branded item. No Series X logo at top-right present. "Xbox One / "Xbox Series X" label.

"Xbox One" branded item. No Series X logo at top-right present. "Xbox Series X / Xbox One" label.

"Xbox" branded item. No Series X logo at top-right present. "Xbox One / Xbox Series X" label.

"Xbox" branded item. No Series X logo at top-right present. "Xbox Series X / Xbox One" label. "Optimized for Series X" label.

"Xbox" branded item. Series X logo at top-right present. "Xbox One / Xbox Series X" label.

"Xbox" branded item. Series X logo at top-right present. "Xbox Series X / Xbox One" label.

In the five months since these items have begun being made available, there has been no consistency in packaging design.

In regards to how the style guide functions, it will never please everyone. However, we still like to maintain discussion amongst all interested users so a better consensus can be collected which helps form our rules. On that note, whenever a style guide discussion does open, it may be in the interest of users like you to take part in it.