Author Topic: Public Or Private Collection Status Opinions (how to make private discussed!!)  (Read 1840 times)

Mine is currently public (now private) It may not mean anything to anyone else but myself,

But I want people to know that once in a while I will click on a collection to see it contents like other people do I think.

but I think we should let people know this who are new and do not want their collection on display. the collection link under the avatar and browsing really has no purpose other then to show off what we have listed in our collection. In my opinion collection photos are way more interesting than who got what. Just so everyone knows I am just curious sometimes. Are you others as well?

and I personally think wishlist's should be private as well as a lot of features to the general public though. For privacy concerns, since anyone can log into this site. not everyone in this electronic world has good intentions. and sometimes digital games can be stolen by creepers online.

first log into your account
click on the person icon on the right of screen under the browse text
click settings
you should see private collection? click on down arrow on screen click on yes

remember to hit save buttion
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:02:54 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Public Or Private Collection Status Opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 01:34:16 pm »
I think the public nature of the lists is a known quantity for anyone using this site- it should become very obvious to anyone setting up an account here that there is no private feature. It might be a nice thing to add, though- let people set their collections to private/followers only. Feature request, maybe?

The few times I've used the collection link under the avatars, it's usually not to sit around browsing their list, but to access their stats page. It's interesting to see the overall numbers and how they compare to other users. Sometimes I do click on a few pages, just to get a feel for what kind of games said person seems to like. Collection photos are more interesting, but tend to focus on console setup & storage choices, not the actual games within.

I think theft concerns are minimal. Of course anyone who broadcasts exactly what they've got could be casing their own joint for a potential thief- but it's a forum board. Fake names, no location data required, etc. As far as digital goes, very little of it is transferrable or sellable. Basically any ne'er-do-wells would have to do a LOT of extra legwork just to figure out where their possible mark even lives. Honestly, it would be a lot easier to just get a job as a home repair man if you want to discretely look for people to steal from.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 01:50:06 pm »
I think the public nature of the lists is a known quantity for anyone using this site- it should become very obvious to anyone setting up an account here that there is no private feature. It might be a nice thing to add, though- let people set their collections to private/followers only. Feature request, maybe?

The few times I've used the collection link under the avatars, it's usually not to sit around browsing their list, but to access their stats page. It's interesting to see the overall numbers and how they compare to other users. Sometimes I do click on a few pages, just to get a feel for what kind of games said person seems to like. Collection photos are more interesting, but tend to focus on console setup & storage choices, not the actual games within.

I think theft concerns are minimal. Of course anyone who broadcasts exactly what they've got could be casing their own joint for a potential thief- but it's a forum board. Fake names, no location data required, etc. As far as digital goes, very little of it is transferrable or sellable. Basically any ne'er-do-wells would have to do a LOT of extra legwork just to figure out where their possible mark even lives. Honestly, it would be a lot easier to just get a job as a home repair man if you want to discretely look for people to steal from.

there is actually a private option there are multiple people that I have seen on this site with a private collection wich you cannot look at.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 10:34:24 pm »
there is actually a private option there are multiple people that I have seen on this site with a private collection wich you cannot look at.

*pokes around* So there is, under the settings on the main page. I guess that makes this thread the 'how to find the private feature' thread.

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 10:12:36 am »
For a moment this topic boggled my mind.

Regardless, the ability to decide whether I want my collection to be either public or private is one that shouldn’t be striped away; this is actually a feature that has existed in possibly all media databases I’ve been a part of. Not everyone likes to have their stuff ogled at; I didn’t sign up to show people what I have or don’t have, I did for personal use, to keep a record so-to-speak. I tread lightly on the Internet, so call me an egoist, but I don’t like sharing more than I should when I’m on it. Members should always be given the option of whether they want their collections to be public or private. I see no valuable reason why it should be the opposite.

With that said, I believe we should be allowed to set wish and/or sell lists to be either public or private. As it stands, if I set my collection to private, the other two lists do as well by default, and I think that's counterproductive. For instance, I’ve had games I would like to add to my sell list, but there’s no point given the list stays private.

[...] The few times I've used the collection link under the avatars, it's usually not to sit around browsing their list, but to access their stats page. [...]

Even if a collection is private, you can still access the stats page by clicking on the avatar...or adding “/about/username” at the end of vgcollect.com.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 10:31:39 am »

*pokes around* So there is, under the settings on the main page. I guess that makes this thread the 'how to find the private feature' thread.

I added more to the thread title, since I think you had a good idea :)

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 10:58:11 am »

Even if a collection is private, you can still access the stats page by clicking on the avatar...or adding “/about/username” at the end of vgcollect.com.

I hope the admins fix this we should let them know but it's Christmas today so I don't know what I should do

NO APPS NEEDED

pzeke

I hope the admins fix this we should let them know but it's Christmas today so I don't know what I should do

I think that's fine, I personally don't mind it; I don't mind someone checking out my stats.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!