Author Topic: Which platform(s) do you think you'll buy and play most next gen?  (Read 1483 times)

Having seen this gen play out?

I'm not sure.

At the start of this gen (November 2013) I was so into games that I just bought everything day one, knowing it was my biggest hobby and I didn't wanna miss anything and I wanted to experience all of the technology, controllers, UIs, games and whatever there was to offer. I have an XB1, PS4, Switch and capable PC.

Now I'm far more careful about how I use my limited free time, only a select few games really excite me and I'm more cautious financially because I have investment goals and my own place so bills are a thing.

I'd like to think that going into next gen I could have the restraint to not buy any new system until there is something on one of them that truly has me chomping at the bit to get it, a 'system seller', for lack of a better term.

I think I could be persuaded to fall primarily into either camp, Xbox or PlayStation. Neither are guaranteed day one buys for me without any justification, I think my stance right now is whichever one gives me a very compelling reason to buy it first.

The real differentiation is exclusives. I need to see some kind of mind blowing exclusive game really. Preferably a new franchise so it feels fresh and exciting. A new Halo, Gears, Forza isn't going to do for me, they're played out. 

Re: Which platform(s) do you think you'll buy and play most next gen?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 06:51:13 pm »
Playstation 4 dominated this gen, so likely Playstation 5 and PC for me, though thanks to Game Pass on PC, it essentially gives me access to both Xbox games and PC, but I'm going to likely buy a Playstation 5.  Switch hasn't been that great to me outside of its first year, so no clue on that, though I am looking forward to Breath of the Wild 2 and Bayonetta 3 whenever those get an announced date.

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 07:14:35 pm »
I'd like to see what sort of backwards compatibility these systems offer up as it could greatly influence which system I'd go for. Personally, I skipped the last two Xbox generations, so if it offered decent backwards compatibility with One and 360 software, I might be coerced into purchasing it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 07:52:02 pm »
I'd like to see what sort of backwards compatibility these systems offer up as it could greatly influence which system I'd go for. Personally, I skipped the last two Xbox generations, so if it offered decent backwards compatibility with One and 360 software, I might be coerced into purchasing it.

It's been said that the PS5 will likely be full PS4 compatible since it's running similar enough hardware, but rumors have it going back all the way to PS1, but I'm not sure if they'd actually go that far.  I would imagine Xbox will continue to push backwards compatibility on their system, but that one is limited to specific games.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 08:11:44 pm »
I don't plan to buy anything else.

I've put all of my eggs in the Switch basket, and I'm hoping for many more years of continued success for the platform. I'm not sure if it's clicked for some some that the Switch is in it for the long haul. This is Nintendo's next gen hardware, Wii U was last gen. That's fine by me, and I don't really enjoy the kind of games that require more horsepower, typically. I find almost no appeal in the idea of another PlayStation or Xbox console at this point in time.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 08:12:47 pm »

It's been said that the PS5 will likely be full PS4 compatible since it's running similar enough hardware, but rumors have it going back all the way to PS1, but I'm not sure if they'd actually go that far.  I would imagine Xbox will continue to push backwards compatibility on their system, but that one is limited to specific games.

Not just likely, it’s confirmed to be fully PS4 and PSVR compatible.  The real question is will it stretch back any farther.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 08:21:13 pm »
I don't plan to buy anything else.

I've put all of my eggs in the Switch basket, and I'm hoping for many more years of continued success for the platform. I'm not sure if it's clicked for some some that the Switch is in it for the long haul. This is Nintendo's next gen hardware, Wii U was last gen. That's fine by me, and I don't really enjoy the kind of games that require more horsepower, typically. I find almost no appeal in the idea of another PlayStation or Xbox console.

I wish I could say the same about Switch for me.  2018 and 2019 were so lackluster for me.  The only big game I wanted to play on the system last year, wasn't even that big with Astral Chain, otherwise it was just Blaster Master 2 and Cadence of Hyrule.  None of the big ones they released really appealed to me, though I wouldn't mind checking out Luigi's Mansion 3, I just didn't have a big interest to grab it since I never played the series before.  There's so far nothing announced this year I'm jumping for that's brand new, though I'm still hoping to be surprised with Bayonetta 3 and Breath of the Wild 2.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 08:57:25 pm »
Right now I’m 60/40 Switch/PS4. I don’t see that changing. 
I’ll pick up a PS5 when they get cheap enough. I don’t think it’ll be Day 1 for me at all. It’ll take something big. I just figure I’ll pick one up around the second Christmas if there are enough games to convince me that I need a new console.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 01:55:22 am »
If the last 15-years is any indication the PS5 will be my goto system next gen, followed by Nintendo and then PC.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:07:55 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 02:37:58 am »
PS5 at some point.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 09:46:13 am »
I'm doing the same thing I did last gen- I'm getting some money squirreled away this year, then paying very close attention to the games coming out on the new machines. When there's a decent enough library of things I want out, I will wait for one of two things: 1)A good sale, or 2)A killer app/system seller that makes me want it now instead of waiting for that sale.

At the moment, Series X is leading the interest, since they've shown off a game- and it's one I'm interested in. I'm not too concerned about it- I suspect at some point I'll have both regardless, so no rush.

The biggest issue is going to be getting things set up to accommodate the actual consoles. My shelves are quite full, and my HDMI switcher has no open ports. I've already got plans in place to make space for the additional games... but not the actual systems. I'll have to wait for release time to get measurements to sort that out.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 09:44:23 pm »
ps5 and if the new neo geo comes out

ferraroso

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 08:54:58 am »
Well, I have no appreciation for Nintendo and the Xbox series never appealed to me (I've never owned a video game from Microsoft during the console's life-cycle), so it is definitely the PlayStation 5 for me.