Author Topic: People who don't play or rarely play video games, why do you collect?  (Read 2673 times)

For the record, I mean no disrespect or criticism in asking this; I'm simply curious what the appeal of collecting is for people who almost never play the games they collect or flat out never play video games.

I thought of this topic after chatting with a guy I know who has a pretty large collection (over 3000 games at least). He admittedly almost never plays anything in his collection even when he has the free time to do so. However, throw a good enough deal at him and he will change all his plans to make sure he gets the deal. In other words his primary motive in collecting is to collect, and little more. He openly admits that the vast majority of video games bore him, and probably only beats 4 or 5 games a year, if even that.

Before we parted ways I wished I had asked why he collects. I guess I'll ask him next time I see him. But it made me think of this topic as I'm sure we have a few people on here who are similar to this guy. Why do you collect if you have no time or interest in actually playing the video games you collect?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:41:34 am by bikingjahuty »

Re: People who don't play or rarely play video games, why do you collect?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:36:55 am »
It's a hobby.  There are people who collect sealed stuff, they obviously have something in mind other than playing.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:45:19 am »
It's a hobby.  There are people who collect sealed stuff, they obviously have something in mind other than playing.

I get the ownership aspect, that's why I collect and don't just emulate everything. But given video games are primarily a form of interactive entertainment it just seems weird that they'd appeal to anyone who didn't actually want to play them.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:18:13 pm »
Now that I'm feeling better I am playing video games more often, this question is probably best aimed at someone who is like @theflea who (from his or her status) says owns countless 10's of 1000's of video games, and barely talks about playing the video games he or she owns, (or I am not looking in the correct places). Sorry bring this up but how could someone with that many video games be actually getting through any of the ones they own?

I buy video games only that I intend to play, but I as well do and collect other media such as music.

I collect retro because I know if I don't someone else will take everything for themselves. and I do play my video games, but like everyone else you can only play one video game at a time,

I have a heart for the person who has less than me, therefore I don't buy something just to claim it's mine or to get rich off something, or to brag.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:23:20 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 01:31:28 pm »
I do have plans to play almost all of my games...eventually. I just might not be able to do it until after the heat death of the universe.

One thing that I do feel really factors into my collecting is the idea of trying to make up for lost time or missed chances when I was younger. As a kid, you couldn't get new things very fast; you were limited to holidays/birthdays, saving up allowance, and on occasion, the rare treat. So, the entire smorgasbord of toys and games wasn't available to you, it just came on a drip feed. And now that I'm an adult, the only thing stopping me from spending my money on this stuff is effectively me, and it shows. Now that I'm able to complete collections, I want to make it a reality instead of a pipe dream. At times, it does feel like I'm trying to impress 10-year old me, but that's alright, as it's still all stuff I actually enjoy.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 05:00:57 pm »
I like games. I wanna play em, but I also have fun in collecting stuff that I like. Games are one of those lesser common things where it's something you can collect, but they're also practical in that you can use them for another purpose too, in this case entertainment. I'm sure most people look at as something intended to be used first and foremost and collected secondarily, for others the reverse is more fun. They like the collecting somewhat more than the playing, or the collecting is more realistic to fit into their daily schedule while they are out, than sitting down and playing at home.

I like both, but admittedly I sometimes subscribe to the notion of collecting to play later due to volume. I have every intention to pop every game into the machines and try them all. If I don't like it, I'll shelve it or maybe even sell off eventually, if I do then of course it stays. I feel like the collecting side is more of a finite thing, it's something you can finish with dedication, while playing is something you could literally spend your entire life doing because there are so many hours of sheer game-play waiting.

I think whatever makes you happiest, is fine. Some people collect tons of comics and probably never look at them, even though they're meant to be read. I've always found fun in collecting things which are not meant to be collected. Things that are made for collections bore me, so I gravitate towards things that aren't supposed to be shelf-trinkets. In this case, I like both aspects. I like collecting, and I also like games. Why not collect games then?

I can tell you without a doubt I’m certainly not the most hardcore gamer among us here. A lot of you are way more enthusiastic about modern day gaming than I am, and I commend you for that. I don’t know that I could sit down and just power through hours and hours of backlog at this point in my life. Nor do I feel the compelled to pick up new games on day one and sit down to complete them in one run. That’s just not where I’m at in this stage of my life. My gaming is much more casual. Pop something in at random, play for a bit and then set it aside with no intention to beat it. Honestly not very many games hook me to the point that I can’t put it down. The right game can however. For example, Planet Coaster I could probably play and forget to eat or drink it’s so engrossing for me. By the same token, I don't actually want to become one of those people who just spends countless hours gaming while so many other aspects of life take a back seat. I certainly have the games for it, but that's not me.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:16:18 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 05:52:25 pm »
I do have plans to play almost all of my games...eventually. I just might not be able to do it until after the heat death of the universe.

One thing that I do feel really factors into my collecting is the idea of trying to make up for lost time or missed chances when I was younger. As a kid, you couldn't get new things very fast; you were limited to holidays/birthdays, saving up allowance, and on occasion, the rare treat. So, the entire smorgasbord of toys and games wasn't available to you, it just came on a drip feed. And now that I'm an adult, the only thing stopping me from spending my money on this stuff is effectively me, and it shows. Now that I'm able to complete collections, I want to make it a reality instead of a pipe dream. At times, it does feel like I'm trying to impress 10-year old me, but that's alright, as it's still all stuff I actually enjoy.

I'm with you on this. However I kinda burned out on videogames and I feel like I have to set a timer on to actually get a good session in. I kinda enjoy the other aspects of life more. like working, learning Japanese (which ties into playing video games). recently mostly collecting right now in hopes I get interested again. It's not a waste of money if you keep the games and what not in good condition since you can thin out or completely sell collections. It's the same with me, I work now and at times can buy in bulk! I missed the N64 era since I was born in 1996, so I collect that and want more Super Nintendo goods.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 05:54:12 pm »

I some times feel like I'm too old to play video games on hours. I'm 23. Have you ever felt the same. It was definitely like this in the 80's and 90's I heard.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 06:28:37 pm »

I some times feel like I'm too old to play video games on hours. I'm 23. Have you ever felt the same. It was definitely like this in the 80's and 90's I heard.

I can relate to this. It's not that I think I'm too old, it's just that my levels of enthusiasm for video games changed a lot once I matured. I miss those days of my youth when I would literally tremble with excitement for a new video game. It's just nothing like that now, for me. Even if a game sounds cool, it doesn't have the ability to grip me like that anymore. I feel like I've seen everything at this point, and a lot of modern games end up frustrating and overwhelming me a bit too often. I prefer tried and true formulas. That's how I know I'm getting old.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 09:05:44 pm »

At 33, I don't really feel that. My main obstacle is just a lack of more free time. After subtracting all my hours from my full time job, sleep, and household obligations/errands, I don't have much left to spread across my hobbies. And as I can't enjoy games when played in short bursts, I don't really use the sporadic bursts of free time for them.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 05:03:45 am »
This describes me perfectly. I collect games yet rarely play them, certainly not for extended periods of time. I don't have a massive collection of games, but more than enough to make moving house problematic. I think its the thrill of the hunt. Trying to get a particular game at the cheapest possible price gives me a real buzz. Plus I do really like the majority of the artwork. They look good on a shelf and I enjoy looking through them. I used to tell myself I was collecting for my future self to play when I had more time. But now future self is current self I still feel the same.

I also like trying to find the best way to play certain games, so Sega Saturn PS2 controllers were a must for the Sega 2500 series of games. 6 Button fightpads across all platforms or SNES style for Street Fighter 2. HDMI converters for retro consoles and mClassics also fall into this category. I think my hardware must easily rival my software. But once I have achieved it I am on looking for the next improvement without really using any of the items to their fullest. Again its the research and then the thrill of the hunt that drives me.

However I have just had a major loss in my life, my partner died suddenly and sorting through all of her things has made me realise that someone will need to do this with my VG collection. And it would be hard enough for me to sort out let alone someone that doesn't understand where the value is or even what they are looking at. So maybe now is a good time to start slimming it down. Who knows?

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 05:38:40 am »
What about people who collect sealed lego boxes

ton of people who buy lego's withouth ever building it.

Whats the point of buying that now that's just insane imo.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 05:48:26 am »
 I care about the little guy who is just starting to collect

It's painful when some gets to have something you really want, and don't have anything already, When everything goes digital.

I say once again that I can see the video game industry hammering down justice on ROM's because more people will go that route instead of collecting because buying video game would be pointless, and because of the greed of the modern video game industry? their might not be physical copies for the poor to afford, physical copies might go out of site in price, good for people who already have a ton of games, and horrible bad for those new collectors and those who missed the boat. and just want to play and own something

the only thing I can see the all digital going right is IF there is only a small service fee each month for the service and all the games would be free to play, instead of paying $30-$60 on only part of a game, plus the money on to keep on buying the latest console or hardware.

I have one thing to say about people who are just in collecting for the profit, Do onto others as you would do to yourself, because lets say you don't like video games and have 10's or 1000's just to waiting to turn a profit, I believe someday and someway that person will be on the other side of things, and have vary bad luck. Luck is not of the side of the greedy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:08:05 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 05:52:05 am »

It's painful when some gets to have something you really want, and don't have anything already, When everything goes digital.

I say once again that I can see the video game industry hammering down justice on ROM's because more people will go that route instead of collecting because buying video game would be pointless, and because of the greed of the modern video game industry? their might not be physical copies for the poor to afford, physical copies might go out of site in price, good for people who already have a ton of games, and horrible bad for those new collectors and those who missed the boat. and just want to play and own something

the only thing I can see the all digital going right is IF there is only a small service fee each month for the service and all the games would be free to play, instead of paying $30-$60 on only part of a game, plus the money on to keep on buying the latest console or hardware.

I have one thing to say about people who are just in collecting for the profit, Do onto others as you would do to yourself, because lets say you don't like video games and have 10's or 1000's just to wait to turn a profit, I believe someday and someway that person will be on the other side of things, and have vary bad luck. Luck is not of the side of the greedy

dude if money is that big of a deal. get a controller of choice and use emulation on pc. gameplay wise there is not an issue at all. your not forced to collect physical.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 06:00:00 am »

I have one thing to say about people who are just in collecting for the profit, Do onto others as you would do to yourself, because lets say you don't like video games and have 10's or 1000's just to wait to turn a profit, I believe someday and someway that person will be on the other side of things, and have vary bad luck. Luck is not of the side of the greedy

dude if money is that big of a deal. get a controller of choice and use emulation on pc. gameplay wise there is not an issue at all. your not forced to collect physical.

I know someday they will drop the hammer on ROM's considering the gaming industry instead of making 6 billion that could make even more by attacking ROM distributor and ROM holders , already people are getting arrested or fines by companies such as Nintendo for having ROM's. Even though it is not vary often it will happen, people are savages these days,

NO APPS NEEDED