Author Topic: Switch exceeds Xbox One console sales - thoughts?  (Read 3346 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Switch exceeds Xbox One console sales - thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 01:42:04 pm »
I’m of the belief that sub-Genres of anything do matter. Gears and Halo are only similar in a rudimentary sense, but one appeals to me a lot more than the other just based on the sub-genre differences in gameplay. To an old timer who’s never played a video game, all shoot em ups are the same. Yes, and no. Mostly no.

A racing sim is one of my least favorite types of racing games, but an arcade racer is one of my favorite types of games overall. So yeah, it matters.

In regards to Xbox lack of exclusives. My understanding is the Series X won’t have exclusives at first because any Xbox brand exclusives will be XB1 compatible as well. Everwild is the next Rare project and it’ll be on both systems I’d imagine. I think it’s kinda good that they aren’t immediately killing XB1 off when Series X arrives.

I never realized there was a rest mode but I didn’t really miss it. I find that firing up my system and lunching YouTube is really snappy as is. The  automatic sign in is a nice touch.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 01:49:16 pm »
I’m of the belief that sub-Genres of anything do matter. Gears and Halo are only similar in a rudimentary sense, but one appeals to me a lot more than the other just based on the sub-genre differences in gameplay. To an old timer who’s never played a video game, all shoot em ups are the same. Yes, and no. Mostly no.

A racing sim is one of my least favorite types of racing games, but an arcade racer is one of my favorite types of games overall. So yeah, it matters.

In regards to Xbox lack of exclusives. My understanding is the Series X won’t have exclusives at first because any Xbox brand exclusives will be XB1 compatible as well. Everwild is the next Rare project and it’ll be on both systems I’d imagine. I think it’s kinda good that they aren’t immediately killing XB1 off when Series X arrives.

I never realized there was a rest mode but I didn’t really miss it. I find that firing up my system and lunching YouTube is really snappy as is. The  automatic sign in is a nice touch.

Rest mode is a God send as you'll be able to download games while off

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 05:25:04 pm »
ofcourse sub genre's matter the gameplay is totally different in pretty much all cases.

People will literally only play certain sub genre's while hating others. just because it is a sub genre doesnt mean that you can fit them games as being all the same.

Sure you could hate a certain genre as a whole but you can't disregard it as all being the same withouth even knowing what each sub genre actually is.

ontopic

i don't think that switch sales will suffer with the ps5 and new xbox series x

Switch has portability of a handheld. so unless sony and microsoft are doing the same thing it's not really going to affect sales. also allot cheaper to not make a new console gen since the grapics are already great this time around.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:46:36 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 08:06:30 am »
Which PS4 model do you have? I remember playing Uncharted 4 on the OG PS4 model and my goodness was it loud

I have a launch model. Over half of the games I've played cause it to enter hyperspeed and sound like it's ready for take off.

It does actually, I just found out about it myself.  It’s just named something weird.  You have to turn “Power Save” or something to OFF.

I'll check that out when I'm home. Thanks for the tip!

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 02:42:48 pm »
I never trusted Microsoft, so I'm not surprised.  Their exclusive games library just isn't interesting. I'm not into the Gears of War, or Halo.  Sea of Thieves looks interesting, but not enough for me to buy a whole system for.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 03:22:13 pm »
I've always been a Nintendo person first and foremost, and I think the brand recognition is alone enough to keep it in the cultural zeitgeist. With 30 somethings nostalgia at its peak I'm not surprised it's doing so well. The Switch is my most used console by far (keep those shmups coming!).
My second string console has always been an xbox (though I missed out completely on the 360/ps3 generation and still don't have either). I just like the Xbox ecosystem and games. The appeal of the Playstation brand never resonnated with me. It just always seemed like they were out to create not so good versions of Nintendo games, then make me feel like a loser for not liking their versions; you know 90's marketing at its best. The Xbox was just different, and generally more powerful/more features. I had Nintendo stuff for my main gaming and exclusives and I have Xbox for multiplats. I'll probably get a PS4 at some point, if for no reason that to get all those japanese M2 Shottriggers releases and Bloodborn but not until it's in the $100 range. I'll definitely be getting the XBSX, just because...