Author Topic: What is the rarest game you own?  (Read 3403 times)

Re: What is the rarest game you own?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 12:37:41 pm »
Probably Clocktower II or Skygunner or Car Battler Joe or Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:40:04 pm by 98dgreen »

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 01:09:09 pm »
I wouldn't want to answer this definitively without a better knowledge of which games are truly rare. I own a number of games that go for a ton of money with the perception they are rare, but who really knows?

Often times when an uncommon game is under very high demand, it makes it seem very rare. But if a lot of collectors have one, then it's not so rare. My feeling is that if a game rarely turns up, regardless of how much people want or don't want it, then it's probably rare. If it turns up often it must not be that rare, even if people ask hundreds. A lot of times high prices reflect demand and not just rarity.

So with all of that rambling, I haven't thoroughly researched which games are the most scarce that I own. I just know which ones were most expensive. Saturn Bomberman, Magic Knight Rayearth, Popful Mail, Burning Rangers, Bomberman Second Attack, and Stunt Racer 64.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 01:29:23 pm »
Probably my rarest one would be a sports title, nowadays since people often throw away sports games that are retro maybe NBA Courtside 2 for the Nintendo 64? or.

I have a strange feeling about some of my sports games, even though I currently can't, find out any I have that go for a lot of money today, I can see them becoming rare and obscure in the near future

Since sports video game always end up in the bargain bin I would think companies would eventually stop making them.

If you think that all sports games are alike you're actually wrong, mostly every single sports game I've played has to be played with a different strategy to win. and with different graphics style, new features like different tracks in a racing game or courses in a golf game, and many other retro sports games,

also your favorite team can suck in one sports game and out right be the best in the next release year sometimes. your team may also have a completely new stadium or arena and occasionally teams that no longer exists in real life anymore, or at all

however only a few sports games were completely copied and pasted from the year before like games like NHL Breakaway 99 for the Nintendo 64
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:43:17 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 02:23:57 pm »
Most valuable would probably be my CiB Earthbound. Valuable both in monetary and sentimental value, since it's my copy from when I was a kid. It's the only SNES game I kept the box for, due to the novelty of it being over-sized, and now I'm glad I did.

Rarest... I'm not sure. Maybe my white label Contra III.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
I have a few Genesis games that came from Nintendo's library. They have a sticker on the box noting that they are from Nintendo's Library of games. I think they were used to compare against the SNES versions.

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 06:15:39 pm »
Probably my rarest one would be a sports title, nowadays since people often throw away sports games that are retro maybe NBA Courtside 2 for the Nintendo 64? or.

I have a strange feeling about some of my sports games, even though I currently can't, find out any I have that go for a lot of money today, I can see them becoming rare and obscure in the near future

Since sports video game always end up in the bargain bin I would think companies would eventually stop making them.

If you think that all sports games are alike you're actually wrong, mostly every single sports game I've played has to be played with a different strategy to win. and with different graphics style, new features like different tracks in a racing game or courses in a golf game, and many other retro sports games,

also your favorite team can suck in one sports game and out right be the best in the next release year sometimes. your team may also have a completely new stadium or arena and occasionally teams that no longer exists in real life anymore, or at all

however only a few sports games were completely copied and pasted from the year before like games like NHL Breakaway 99 for the Nintendo 64

@K and EA won't stop making sports games, because hordes of people buy them at release from $60. They do drop in price rather quickly, and can be found dirt cheap a year later. However, they don't care about that, their $$ comes from release and the short couple months after.

tpugmire

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 06:48:01 pm »
Magicard for Atari 2600. At one point it was considered the rarest title for the system, and a complete one sold several years ago for over $7000. Sadly, mine is loose.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

pzeke

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 11:16:32 am »
The ones that come to mind are Wild Guns, Mega Man X3, Koudelka, Silent Bomber, and Blood Will Tell. I also have Super Turrican 2, but it's missing the label unfortunately.

Regarding Tail Concerto, for as long as I remember it has been quite pricey. Sure, its price has gone up over the years, but it was never below its MSRP.

[...]

Wishful thinking, quite honestly. If you have NBA Elite 11, NCAA College Basketball 2K3, or maybe NCAA Football 2014, then sure.

Quite frankly, though, sports games, in the capacity that you're inferring, will never, if ever, become a rarity. They're hardly unique, if I'm being honest.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:41:18 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

pifflegatari

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 12:42:48 pm »
It's not so rare loose, but I own a slightly crushed sealed copy of Pokémon Crystal, which is hard to come by nowadays, I guess.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 12:52:58 pm »

[...]

Wishful thinking, quite honestly. If you have NBA Elite 11, NCAA College Basketball 2K3, or maybe NCAA Football 2014, then sure.

Quite frankly, though, sports games, in the capacity that you're inferring, will never, if ever, become a rarity. They're hardly unique, if I'm being honest.

to me? my sports games mean something to me. I don't plan on selling any of them either. Another mans trash is another mans treasure. And for some reason, maybe I'm crazy I like having sports games along with other games in my collection .

just like I have almost a full set of EA Sports Golf games across 4 console prints as well as some of the less known golf video games

lol I mean look at most of the sports games in the databace here almost nobody has them but everyone has other games
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:57:39 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 01:06:26 pm »

[...]

to me? my sports games mean something to me. I don't plan on selling any of them either. Another mans trash is another mans treasure. And for some reason, maybe I'm crazy I like having sports games along with other games in my collection .

just like I have almost a full set of EA Sports Golf games across 4 console prints as well as some of the less known golf video games

lol I mean look at most of the sports games in the databace here almost nobody has them but everyone has other games

That’s because most of the people in this site don’t care about sports games.  By and large they are not collector’s items, so people on a site dedicated to collecting will not be interested.

It’s great that the games mean something to you, but that sentimental value adds nothing to the availability of the game.

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 01:56:03 pm »
Sport games can be fun. especially older ones can have some charm nothing wrong with that

The only flaw is however that his reason that many people throw sports games away making them potentially rare in the future.

There are millions of them sports games in most cases. tons of them get used for replacement boards or projects. it will most likely never run out.

There will be a ton of people who will preverse a nice condition copy except a for a slect few sport games wich are already pretty uncommon today and that is already enough to keep those prices low.

in terms of sports games it has to be extremely rare before you get to that very small group of people that collect everything full set collectors. that's just never going to happen with such large amounts.

Fun games sure, but most of them if they aren't very rare now they are most likely not going to be more rare later on. to few people that want to collect sports/ games or mostly full set collectors. if there is a surge of interest in the games than maybe it would be a bit tougher to find but i highly doubt that. to many people already having said game probably.

if a sports game is ever to be desirable for that small group of people it has to have a way lower print run than the most collectible sought after fun games in a consoles library. like at the very least 10 times as few copies around if I had to guess. that's not happening if a sports game is even very uncommon to somewhat rare.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 02:01:48 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2020, 03:21:14 pm »
why did this topic seem to get heated all of a sudden? all I said is that I love sports games, didn't say I was going to hog them or make a fortune off them

there's plenty of enjoyment, from the retro ones like @sworddude said and there is plenty of them for collectors alike thay can also make great party games as well

most sports video games will let you coop against the CPU or go against one another or even better team up on the N64 for example with 4 controllers
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:50:25 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2020, 06:27:59 pm »
why did this topic seem to get heated all of a sudden? all I said is that I love sports games, didn't say I was going to hog them or make a fortune off them

there's plenty of enjoyment, from the retro ones like @sworddude said and there is plenty of them for collectors alike thay can also make great party games as well

No one is being heated, I am just speaking frankly regarding the availability and desirability of those games.  And, since this topic is about rare games, it’s pertinent.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2020, 10:23:28 pm »
My most expensive is probably Panzer Dragoon Saga or Bomber Man Second Attack cib.

Not sure about the rarest might be my Legend of Zelda Minish Cap (not for resale) it was given away at E3 a few years back.