Author Topic: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?  (Read 14134 times)

Re: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2020, 12:12:24 pm »
I don't have a lot of OG Xbox games so I am hoping I'll never need to buy another OG Xbox for a while

Oh, I doubt it. I didn't clear any data off my Xbox when I got it, becuase it's a hand-me-down. My fiance bought it new back around release. Then when he got a 360 he gave it to his brother. Then he gave it to his sister. Then it sat unused in the back of her entertainment center until I claimed it. So that guy's got 4 people's worth of save files, copied music, etc. and it's still got plenty of room left.

it might be a modded console because it came with an electric eye inside the 4th controller slot, I don't know what that does

If it comes out, it's probably the sensor for the remote control- Xboxes can play DVDs just like PS2, but you needed to get a kit to get it going.

Regardless of your serial number, if you have to reset the clock when you turn it on, find a repair guy & get your unit looked at- that's a sign that you could have a bad cap. If it advances, you'll start to see the unit turn itself on & possibly issues with the disc tray ejecting on its own.

If you act fast, everything will be fine- when my Xbox started turning itself on, I found a semi-local shop (about an hour away) & actually mailed it in becuase I couldn't make the trip up right away. They actually couldn't find any sign the capacitor was leaking, so either I caught it very early or I'd picked up some corrosion elsewhere. Either way, they pulled the cap for me & did a general refurb of the whole thing, & it's been great since. Even took care of the finicky disc drive (it didn't like to eject on startup.)

Of course, it's entirely possible the previous owner already had the cap pulled & that's why your clock is weird. If it keeps time while plugged in, check the bottom for signs it's been opened- you could be fine. I doubt it's been modded- by my experience most modded systems are running custom firmware, so if yours has the regular startup/menus, I doubt anything's been done.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:15:52 pm by hoshichiri »

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2020, 06:30:13 pm »
Oh, I doubt it. I didn't clear any data off my Xbox when I got it, becuase it's a hand-me-down. My fiance bought it new back around release. Then when he got a 360 he gave it to his brother. Then he gave it to his sister. Then it sat unused in the back of her entertainment center until I claimed it. So that guy's got 4 people's worth of save files, copied music, etc. and it's still got plenty of room left.

If it comes out, it's probably the sensor for the remote control- Xboxes can play DVDs just like PS2, but you needed to get a kit to get it going.

Regardless of your serial number, if you have to reset the clock when you turn it on, find a repair guy & get your unit looked at- that's a sign that you could have a bad cap. If it advances, you'll start to see the unit turn itself on & possibly issues with the disc tray ejecting on its own.

If you act fast, everything will be fine- when my Xbox started turning itself on, I found a semi-local shop (about an hour away) & actually mailed it in becuase I couldn't make the trip up right away. They actually couldn't find any sign the capacitor was leaking, so either I caught it very early or I'd picked up some corrosion elsewhere. Either way, they pulled the cap for me & did a general refurb of the whole thing, & it's been great since. Even took care of the finicky disc drive (it didn't like to eject on startup.)

Of course, it's entirely possible the previous owner already had the cap pulled & that's why your clock is weird. If it keeps time while plugged in, check the bottom for signs it's been opened- you could be fine. I doubt it's been modded- by my experience most modded systems are running custom firmware, so if yours has the regular startup/menus, I doubt anything's been done.

My Xbox360 used to have the tray close on it's own as soon as I opened it, until I deleted some of the accounts. But so far on my Original Xbox console it's has not yet happened

I plan to get both of these console looked at.

I removed a bunch of save files off my Xbox Original console I just got a few days ago.

My Xbox360 is showing signs that it's never been opened and their is a potato chip crumb that fell inside of my Xbox360 and I plan of getting both looked at by a professional soon

yes my OG XBox censer came out but I don't plan on using that.

My new/used Xbox original had a TON of saved files on it, but I manually deleted all the save file data because I wanted to make this my own.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:34:17 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2020, 03:16:20 pm »
Still have my childhood OG Xbox. Looking at the save files there are some VERY teenage boy save file and toon names... I'd like to keep them on there for posterity but I'm kind of ashamed...