Author Topic: Do games ever feel worth $60?  (Read 2717 times)

pzeke

Re: Do games ever feel worth $60?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 10:41:37 am »
I've only bought a few games at launch, and I can honestly tell you they were worth the asking price. For instance, I bought Pokémon Diamond and Pearl on their day of release, and while Pearl was relegated to the side, I played the ever-loving snot out of Diamond—I just couldn't bring myself to stop playing. Another good example is Drakengard, which I bought during its week of release for about $50 I believe, and I can tell you once more that it was well worth the price, as I played the hell out of it. One of my all-time favorites, in fact. Final Fantasy XII is another good example, although I spent the majority of my time playing power-leveling and never actually finished the game.

With that said, I'm not one to buy games at launch, to tell the truth, so it has to be something that I'm genuinely interested/invested in, and even then I will stop and think twice. Nowadays I feel most games aren't worth the asking price solely due to how shady the industry has become what with day one patches, locking content behind a paywall, and all that other nonsense. Granted, most games that recur to these type of practices usually don't appeal to me, especially in regards to online multiplayer, but it's still a factor regardless.

As I've stated before, I wait until the hype dwindles, so I just wait for prices to go down and either get them on sale or used. There's a good chance I'm not going to play the game right away, so why waste $60 to begin with.

Almost no game is worth $60... not unless it is some really rare print or an older difficult to acquire import.

I think people are morons if they actually pay $60 for a new game since (just about) every damn game ever made ends up eventually dropping to $20 or so if you simply wait awhile.

At any given time, >>95% of the greatest games ever made were made over a year ago. So what's with the obsession with whatever is brand new??

Have a brain and just wait a bit. Your pocket book will reward you. You'll be able to own 2 to 3 times more games.
And perhaps you might even have some money left over to get out of your parents basement and live on your own.

Tone aside, I agree with you. Most people that tend to buy games as soon as they get released do so for the instant gratification and experience, though, somewhat following what kamikazekeeg said. Usually these kind of people can't be dissuaded to do the opposite, so that's basically the demographic the industry is shooting for. These often are also the type of people that tend to buy into hype, as well as buy consoles and games with a "short-term" mentality, meaning once a new generation console is released they jump into that bandwagon and abandon the last. So, basically as sworddude stated, the industry needs these type of customers to keep afloat.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dreama1

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 12:14:55 pm »
Waste of money in most situations, saying it's going to be a few dollars in a few weeks probably.

Unless you're insanely passionate about the game that is. If you're going to be hammering it for a few 100 hours or so on the spot rather than let it collect dust until you finally play it and its like 1 dollar now pretty much.

dreama1

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 04:47:23 pm »
I'll never forget the people who bought fallout 76 including my friend limited edition for like 100 dollars or so for it to be a few dollars in a few weeks or so.

That's another thing. You don't know if you're getting a shit product or not.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:00:26 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 06:29:26 pm »
Almost no game is worth $60... not unless it is some really rare print or an older difficult to acquire import.

I think people are morons if they actually pay $60 for a new game since (just about) every damn game ever made ends up eventually dropping to $20 or so if you simply wait awhile.

At any given time, >>95% of the greatest games ever made were made over a year ago. So what's with the obsession with whatever is brand new??

Have a brain and just wait a bit. Your pocket book will reward you. You'll be able to own 2 to 3 times more games.
And perhaps you might even have some money left over to get out of your parents basement and live on your own.

There are people who like to buy games at full price to have it day 1 and that is fine. Who are we to deny them that? But to essentially call those who do this morons and insinuate that because they do so that they arent stable enough that they live in their parents basement is rather immature. You're downplaying a certain contingent of people because you dont agree with it which is fine but the way you went about it is not in the best light.

ysssk

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:18 am »
Yes, Sometimes. The Example that springs to mind for me is Skyrim.
I played that game for so long, and was so into it that i kept wishing there was even more DLC from Bethesda.
I bought ALL the offical DLC, and quite a few Mods too.
I got more enjoyment from that game than the next 5 other favorite titles for PS3.

Liked it So much, i got the PC version too, just so i could add mods and extend my play even more.
The Smiling Bandit Strikes again HAHAHAHAHA

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 12:33:00 pm »
I kid you guys not, every single game I've ever been hyped enough to buy at launch for $60, it plummets to the bargain bin with a surplus of unsold new copies 3-4 months after being considered a "bomb". Every single time it happens. Really gets irritating. The only way to not feel like you've jumped the gun is to buy a Nintendo first party game, because they don't loose value until Nintendo re-brands them a best seller. The other games I choose to pick up at full price, die a swift fiery retail death. I'm terrible at picking winners.

On the flip side, games I hold off on because I have no faith they'll survive at retail, remain... and remain, and never price drop even when they aren't very successful.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:45:06 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 10:12:22 pm »
I kid you guys not, every single game I've ever been hyped enough to buy at launch for $60, it plummets to the bargain bin with a surplus of unsold new copies 3-4 months after being considered a "bomb". Every single time it happens. Really gets irritating. The only way to not feel like you've jumped the gun is to buy a Nintendo first party game, because they don't loose value until Nintendo re-brands them a best seller. The other games I choose to pick up at full price, die a swift fiery retail death. I'm terrible at picking winners.

On the flip side, games I hold off on because I have no faith they'll survive at retail, remain... and remain, and never price drop even when they aren't very successful.

In a way, that's a good thing- you never have to worry about getting the best deal. Just never buy anything at launch & you'll be good!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 05:43:51 pm »
Shoot yeah!  There are tons of games that I feel like I got my $60 of fun out of them. There’s several that I would say I got well over $100 of enjoyment out of.

We’re spoiled at the $60 price point. I’d venture to say $60 games is why there’s so much DLC nowadays.

maximo310

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 05:44:46 pm »
Yes.

kashell

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 09:10:51 am »
Yessum.