Author Topic: What Games Or Devices You (Don't) Want In Your Collection Currently? And Why?  (Read 3101 times)

I love collecting for PC purely for the boxes.  I'll never play the games, but the boxes are the best, they can be so different and varied.  I've mostly just tried to collect for certain series, or if the box art is cool, like Warcraft has cool packaging ususualy, or if it's a big box which looks awesome.

Warmsignal

I don't really collect that stuff, but one of the stupidest things I ever did once at a flea market was pass on this stash of moving boxes filled to the brim with old PC big box games. The guy wanted like $2 each on any of them, mostly Windows 95 - 98 era stuff... Should have just bought the whole box because that stuff is probably in the landfill now. Nobody wanted it, including me for some reason. I should have bought it all just to preserve it, or find someone who actually would have wanted all of it.

sworddude

I don't really collect that stuff, but one of the stupidest things I ever did once at a flea market was pass on this stash of moving boxes filled to the brim with old PC big box games. The guy wanted like $2 each on any of them, mostly Windows 95 - 98 era stuff... Should have just bought the whole box because that stuff is probably in the landfill now. Nobody wanted it, including me for some reason. I should have bought it all just to preserve it, or find someone who actually would have wanted all of it.

2$ can still be pricy for pc big box. ton of trash out there that the majority of pc big box collectors do not want. unless there was some good stuff in there it's hard to tell if you missed anything notable. a ton of pc big box stuff is landfill worthy the pc library is really big after all. Pretty sure that full set collectors for pc are pretty much non existant. literally given up on from the beginning and being selective from the start or at the very least only collect full sets from certain era's.

also i could imagine space being an issue with pc big box collectors.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:50:01 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Same here on the PC games. I tend to not want them in the collection.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

I avoid PC collecting as well- and I so far do not have any consoles before nes or master system.  I would perhaps like to get an atari 2600 at some point but have not gone out of my way to add it to my collection.  I don't think I want to add too many other consoles from that era, I like seeing other collectors that really get into collecting all the strange and bizarre older systems but I don't think that it is personally for me.  Maybe a Vectrex...

I would like a Turbo Duo or Turbo CD, an Atari Lynx and a Game Gear at some point.  Maybe a Virtua Boy?  I'd also like to explore more Game Boy and Game Boy Color at some point.  I have nearly everything else that I've really wanted.  Don't really want Neo Geo right now- maybe some arcade machines or pinball someday when I have more space?   

sworddude

I rarely collect pc mostly ports wich where released on consoles though like megaman

still though as big of a library that pc is. it's kinda ironic that consoles with a way smaller library have way more fun games in a ton of genre's

Sure pc has point and click and real time strategy games like civiliasation ages of empires warcraft or mmorpg's simulators shooters like doom or quake. with all that being said if your not into those genre's tough luck not much out there.

Gaming mascots for pc compared to consoles no competition
Action platformers on pc rarely let alone coming close to the console library
shoot em ups again consoles win hard
3d platformers like mario Not happening
Rpg's. where is my chrono trigger xenogears skies of arcadia dragon quest etc etc. iconic classic rpg's on pc not really with such a large library
Zelda clones not happening. sure some examples like final fantasy also had pc releases but it's a fraction of the console library
racing games sure. kart games like mario kart ctr some really crappy titles that don't hold a candle compared to those.
2d fighting games nah it had some ports but overall lacking the best stuff

nowadays obviously with pc getting pretty much all console games and indi developers pc is good. but back in the day it was missing stuff for a ton of genre's

Main reason for the lack of playable games on pc is probably that bigger companies don't really focus on pc
Your Stylish Sword Master!

ferraroso

Isn't nintendo stuff in japan pretty affordable? first party titles are plentyyfull in japan even cib making it say way cheaper than western stuff. sure prices got up a bit but it's still pretty cheap. Obviously rare stuff exists even in japan like rendering ranger but again you can say that for every console Isn't saturn and especially genesis more pricy in Japan? Genesis didnt do to hot in Japan. Pc engine etc while they did allot better the good stuff is also way more pricy than majority of super famicom.

super famicom has a ton of affordable cheap good stuff right compared to say for sega pc engine saturn in Japan.  Maybe with the exceptions for rpg's since all consoles had those in an abudance so maybe in that case it might be a bit more pricy on super famicom but again rpg's in japan are pretty cheap overall. Is super famicom that pricy compared to other consoles in your experience in Japan? its not dirt cheap like it used to be before tourists but that's not only with super famicom i'd imagine.

or is it more of a problem with say gamecube since ps2 era is overall dirt cheap in Japan. Also say gamecube are there actually rare games for that system on Japan. since aside from hyped stuff like fire emblem or the lower prices first party titles  i don't see it being that pricy. Japanese Ps2 on the other hand while a ton of stuff is dirt cheap has some sought after stuff that western people want.

I think it's the condition end of things- I'm not remotely fluent, but I know enough Japanese to poke around Amazon Japan & Yahoo Auctions. I recently got myself a small famicom collection, and opted to get Devil World CIB becuase I like to have at least one per system & it's so common it's even dirt cheap from US sources. It still took a week to find a box that wasn't falling apart or 10 times the cost of a cart. I guess nice cardboard is expensive no matter where you live.

On second thought. I think you're both right. Even though good (or interesting) CIB Famicom games tend to be more expensive than I'd like to pay for them around here, they are still way cheaper than their North American counterparts. I think it's more of a matter of preference than price, as I'd happily pay the equivalent to like US$100.00 for a Saturn or Dreamcast game I really wanted, but will very rarely pay over US$20.00 on any Nintendo stuff...

In the case of the Super Famicom (one of the few consoles I simply gave up on collecting CIB), common games can usually be found for dirt cheap. Around herem I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay over US$3.00 for a loose copy of The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger, for example... However, once you enter the world of more interesting (according to my preference) games such as TMNT: Turtles in Time, Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Super Castlevania IV and The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie, Super Famicom tends to be more expensive than the Saturn or the Dreamcast.

And I see two major problems in collecting GameCube stuff around here. First is the price as a GameCube game usually costs something around five times what it goes for on the PS2 or even on the original Xbox (albeit the later tends to be pretty rare to find). The second is the fact that, contrarily to how its games were released worldwide (that were sold in hard plastic cases similar to those of DVDs), in Japan, GameCube discs were sold inside small fragile semi-transparent plastic cases that were, in turn, placed inside a thin cardboard sleeve that are relatively rare to find in good condition...

I know enough about getting old PC games to work on modern hardware, of if all else fails I have a Windows 98 gaming rig I can get it working on 95% of the time. I love collecting PC games, and luckily many of the better pC games from the 80s and 90s have been made available on digital services which takes out a lot of the work required to get them running. Still, there are a ton of PC games never released beyond their original versions and it's fun to have those physically as part of your collection.

mark1982

Mainly PC since it’s all digital, I don’t add PC games into my collection since once I play them I don’t necessarily archive or keep them. Pretty much just a list on steam, or Epic game store since they’re free.
  l    l 

doafan

Dunno if the questions got a trick or maybe am just thinking to much but I don't see the logic in getting something into your collection if you don't want to have it later, me for example have to sell some of my favorites titles just to get new ones, it wasn't the original idea but want to play the newest games even when most of the times I don't have the time to do it.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

pzeke

I think it's easier to just say that the majority of things I don't own, I don't want in my collection. Such a list would be much, much longer than my actual wishlist.

For the sake of brevity, pretty much this.

Although, there are some games for the PS2 that I outright don't ever want to own. For example, Trigger Man, Th3 Plan, The Sopranos: Road to Respect, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and anything from Cabela to name a few I try to avoid like the plague. I have actually ignored PS2 lots with a relatively good selection of games just because at least one of the games I mentioned is included in them.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!