Author Topic: Switch exceeds Xbox One console sales - thoughts?  (Read 3421 times)

Switch exceeds Xbox One console sales - thoughts?
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:30:43 pm »
There's news circulating that switch has exceeded xb1 sales, in only 34 months when the xb1 has been on the market for 74 months.

I think it's kinda cray cray given the switch's limited power and extremely, extremely, restricted library of games.

It throws me off but I guess the Wii was also underpowered and the casual appeal of that launched it to stratospheric success too, so they've pulled this off before.

It's amazing how the novelty of a gimmick and the appeal of first party games like Mario, Zelda and Pokemon have allowed surpassing a system marketed at the 'core gamer' demographic, despite a near total void of third party AAA games.

The marketing toward children has got to play a big role in this, kids stomp their feet for things and get jelly of peers with things.

I just think it's really interesting. After seeing the Wii U be a stinky pile of dog turd I'd all but written off Nintendo. And they come out with this underpowered machine midway through a console cycle (which was to a large extent the same death nail of the Wii U) and smash it.

I can see the appeal of the Switch and have one myself, fully realised 3D games in the palm of our hands is impressive ... I used to have an OG Gameboy that was like a brick with a 5cm screen or something that was only in black and white and only for very simple games. Nintendo's first party is also extremely strong a seal of quality and sign of a good game almost always. A new Halo is super bland and does not stand up to the original three at their time in history at all but Mario Odyssey is a real treat.

Is this also on the wave of the Fortnite phenomenon with young kids?

It's very interesting. I'm glad Nintendo has been strong this generation in terms of their sales, I thought they could be on their way out if they had another botch like the Wii U which was so bad it gave Iwata cancer. Having Sony, MS and Nintendo all still in the game is best for the industry.

Re: Switch exceeds Xbox One console sales - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 05:38:21 pm »
It's not unexpected since Xbox just hasn't done well this generation at all.  They had a rough start, they didn't have many must have games, and a lot of their push for the past year or so has been to get games to PC.

I still have my problems with the Switch, I think it's pretty under-powered, and they've done very little to add to the system in terms of customization and it's half-assed online service, but it is a snazzy piece of tech that appeal to different people.  Like I never play it portable, it's awful that way, but I can choose to play it docked all the time, which is a great feature and I am glad that Nintendo is doing well after their lackluster Wii U release.  I just need more games that actually interest me as there hasn't been a lot for myself since that first year of release.  Lots of Wii U re-releases and games that are fine, but aren't games I'm jumping to get.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 06:37:21 pm »
Not surprising. Switch is incredibly versatile and popular with kids. XB1 had a disastrous reveal and and launch which made many people stop paying any attention to it. When they tried to say that discs were a one time install and then tied to the console, it became Xbox Done more than anything.

For not having many exclusives they just never cut the price down quite enough to attract many buyers. IMO, it’s still too expensive, even for the S model it’s back up to $250. I got mine on a sale for $199. They underestimate the actual power of exclusive game experiences and maybe they will have learned for next gen. I think GamePass is becoming something of a hit for Xbox. I hear it mentioned in passing a lot. I think thatll play a lot into the future of Xbox’s success. I’ve also heard they’ve invested in a lot of game studious recently for upcoming exclusives.

It’s just the nature of the market and taking gambles. Everyone’s third console is plagued with mistakes and missed opportunities of some sort.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 07:29:05 pm »
Xbox kinda blew it this time around. Their exclusives are tired. They got bitchslapped by Sony at E3 before they even released the console. They started off with that always connected to the internet stuff. Then, they just never caught up.
XBone is just a generic PS4.
Nintendo is doing something different. It’s not just a PC with a front end. It’s a different product with different games.
I have all 3. The XBone got sent to the boy’s room. He uses it for Minecraft and that’s about it.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 08:50:21 pm »
Not at all surprised. Unless you are a diehard Gears, Forza, or Halo fan, there is literally no reason to buy an XBONE.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 09:27:36 pm »
I’ve been playing ReCore, it’s a decent game so far. There’s also Rare Replay for those who don’t already own most of Rare’s classics, including some of their pre-NES era. Then there’s Sunset Overdrive which I’ve only heard good things about. Also Sea of Thieves, which is one MMO that actually intrigues me a lot. Planning a Subscription to Xbox Live just to give it a try. Looking forward to giving Forza Horizon a try too.

I actually prefer to UI and just the speed of the console for accessing apps and whatnot compared to other my other consoles. Just saying, it’s good not to have to juggle a ton of games around on just one console’s hard drive. It helps to have all three and an exclusive or two here and there doesn’t hurt.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 10:56:44 pm »
I'm not the least bit surprised. Xbox has chosen to market at the 'core gamer' stereotype. A Mountain Dew drinkin', pizza eating bro looking to shoot monster or play football with his dorm buddies. The kind who want the sickest setup with the best TV/monitor so they can rag on the guy stuck at a measly 60 FPS. The kind who chuck their games straight into the trash as soon as the newer, 'better' version comes out.

Then this generation they tried to make it all but impossible to share or sell games, then backpedaled when people got mad, but THEN announced anything they put on Xbox would also be on PC- which can be made a far more powerful machine than an Xbox One. Basically, they went out of their way to make their machine the inferior option to the kinds of people who bought it in the past. If you don't do PC gaming, there's enough to make it worth having if you can land a sale or really need the most powerful console. If you do? The number of true console exclusives is so low, there's no reason to bother.

As for the Switch- its 'gimmick' isn't especially novel- it's utilitarian. Hate having to put a game away & hop on an hour bus ride to work? Stuck out of town & the TV gets crap channels? No problem! Just bring your console with you! Getting together with friends, but can't get to a TV for a multiplayer run? Hand everybody a joycon & huddle around the lil' screen! Basically, the Switch looks at the modern lifestyle of constantly being on the go, and adapts to fit it. Whether you're trying to keep playing a game but need to keep the volume/light down to avoid disturbing the household, or you're having lunch & just found out your buddy hasn't seen that cool new game, the switch can come with you. It doesn't surprise me that it's taken off.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 02:03:51 am »
Still haven’t taken my switch outta the box.
Still got my Wii U in the box too.
It’s just personal preference. Been using my Xbox mainly for the free games on gold lately and PS4 isn’t even hooked up.
Maybe gaming is a little stale to me right now.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 02:11:07 am »
It’s just personal preference. Been using my Xbox mainly for the free games on gold lately and PS4 isn’t even hooked up.

Why are you buying consoles that you don't actually use?  That's what, 600 dollars in consoles sitting there untouched unless you got them ridiculously cheap to justify simply having them.  I don't want that to sound like I'm calling you out or anything for it, I'm just curious as to why you would even buy one if you aren't going to play it lol

Xbox does have its use if you are someone who doesn't play a lot or care about the big hitters.  I'd actually recommend an Xbox to someone like that with Game Pass over Sony or Nintendo, because for a pretty cheap price, you get access to a pretty significant amount of games, something like 400 games from what I heard (It's only about 100 or so on PC right now I think).

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 02:23:18 am »

Why are you buying consoles that you don't actually use?  That's what, 600 dollars in consoles sitting there untouched unless you got them ridiculously cheap to justify simply having them.  I don't want that to sound like I'm calling you out or anything for it, I'm just curious as to why you would even buy one if you aren't going to play it lol

Xbox does have its use if you are someone who doesn't play a lot or care about the big hitters.  I'd actually recommend an Xbox to someone like that with Game Pass over Sony or Nintendo, because for a pretty cheap price, you get access to a pretty significant amount of games, something like 400 games from what I heard (It's only about 100 or so on PC right now I think).

Not sure why actually. LOL. Probably just the hope of one day actually playing it. Just part of the collection at this point. I buy the AAA games as well, but I don’t get far beyond the install.

mark1982

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 10:32:36 pm »
The Switch is a beast. I've been playing it almost exclusively, not only Nintendo titles, but the large amount of 2D based / retro inspired games available on the console.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:52:28 pm by mark1982 »
  l    l 

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 07:51:45 am »
I still can't believe how far Xbox as a brand has regressed since the start of this gen.

I seriously loved my Xbox 360 and it had some great exclusives for the time...Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Fable 2, Forza Horizon, Gears 1-3, Viva Pinata.

Then Xbox One came along...ooooh boy, surely it has the worst exclusive line up in history.

I actually see it getting worse next gen too. Strange form factor that won't fit in 99% of home entertainment systems, absurd naming convention, Game Pass is a breeding ground for mediocrity, they keep recycling the same stale franchises, no exclusives for 2 years....what the hell are they doing?!

Coupled with the excellence of the Switch and it's hardly surprising.

I predict that the Switch eventually beats the combined sales of Xbox One + Xbox SXE1SX (or whatever its is called)

kashell

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 11:37:24 am »
I have all three.

Switch > Xbone = PS4

I really wish the Xbone had a "rest mode" option, and I wish the PS4 didn't sound like an engine jet.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 11:40:35 am »
I have all three.

Switch > Xbone = PS4

I really wish the Xbone had a "rest mode" option, and I wish the PS4 didn't sound like an engine jet.

Which PS4 model do you have? I remember playing Uncharted 4 on the OG PS4 model and my goodness was it loud

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 12:30:13 pm »

It does actually, I just found out about it myself.  It’s just named something weird.  You have to turn “Power Save” or something to OFF.