Author Topic: Any PC enthusiasts? I need assistance.  (Read 4526 times)

ffxik

Any PC enthusiasts? I need assistance.
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:33:14 pm »
So I've been in the process of building a new PC for my wife to get her away from two outdated and rather old laptops she has been using.  Since I abruptly now have a lot of free time on my hands I figured now is as good a time as any.  So I got it all together flipped the switch on the power supply.  The RGB around the chipset comes on for a second then switches color to a red that is holding a breathing pattern.  Push power button..., and nothing.  I haven't had any success with the screwdriver trick to short the board either.

Specs:
Motherboard
 Asrock z270 Killer SLI/ac

CPU
 Intel Core I7 6700k Unlocked

Memory
 4x 8gb OLOy Warhawk 3600 DDR4

Video Card*
 msi Geforce GTX 1660 Ventus OC Edition

Cooler
 Deepcool Gamer Storm Castle 240EX AIO liquid cooler

PSU
 Thermaltake Tough Power Grand RGB 750w

Now I have read online that particular motherboard has issues like this.  I do have another on order, an ASUS Prime z270 A.  Won't be here until the 22nd and was hoping somebody may have some idea as to what is going on.

Things I have tried;
Clearing CMOS, via jumper and battery removal.
Powering up without GPU
Booting with only 1 RAM stick in and cycling through the 4 stick. 
Trying 2 sticks in a A1-B1, or A2-B2 configuration.

All comes to the same conclusion it refuses to even start.  Now the PSU does work.  I jumped the pins on 4 and 5 to get it fired up.

Any and all help appreciated. 

*Edit; Forgot the GPU
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:24:08 pm by ffxik »

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Re: Any PC enthusiasts? I need assistance.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:29:35 am »
Hey FFxik,

Nice build there, you're wife is going to love it.

You know the smallest thing can keep these boards from booting.  It looks like you've tried plenty of proper troubleshooting steps. The no post problem is often related to RAM not playing nicely, or the board needs a BIOS update to properly see the CPU. However there's many other issues that can cause this as well.

I would try taking the motherboard out of the case.  Sometimes the case itself can cause a short on the board and prevent it from booting. Take it out of the case and place it on a anti-static bag, on top of a cardboard box. Once that's done, try turning it on with just the CPU & RAM in place.  See if anything changes.  Also do you have all the proper power connector's plugged into the Motherboard?  It looks like your board requires both a 24-pin connector plus an additional 8-pin power connector.

Try that out and let me know.

- Retro
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:18:22 pm by retromangia »

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:43:15 am »
Do you have the 8-pin CPU power connected to the PSU? And actually using the 8 pin and not the 4 pin in half of the socket?

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 10:34:02 pm »
It's been an off and on thing for 3 years.  So I've had the case, mobo, and psu since early 2017.  So if it tuns out the board is DoA there isn't much I can do about it.  lol

Yes the 8 pin CPU is connected.  It packed right under the 240mm rad.  It's a tight fit, as seen here.  Ignore the cable management, or lack there of.  I was in a hurry and going to finalize later, after the M.2 NVMe and 4tb HDD comes in.

I thought about removing it and testing it on a box.  If you could see the hoops you have to jump through to get that out of there.  The RAM is within a mm of the AIO fans. 

I'm going to try the box method.  I've seen Jayztwocents do it.  I don't know why I didn't test before casing.  This isn't even my first rodeo.  Though you'd think it was.

I'll update when done.

ffxik

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 12:25:16 am »
OK, so I tore it out of the case and set it up on the box.  I jumped the pins, and nothing.  I miscalculated with my screwdriver and hit the pins beside it, it fired right up....   I don't know.  ???  Either way it appears I was hitting the wrong pins.  Probably due to the goofy way the boards connector is labeled. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:27:55 am by ffxik »

Flashback2012

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 07:49:50 am »
OK, so I tore it out of the case and set it up on the box.  I jumped the pins, and nothing.  I miscalculated with my screwdriver and hit the pins beside it, it fired right up....   I don't know.  ???  Either way it appears I was hitting the wrong pins.  Probably due to the goofy way the boards connector is labeled.

Congratulations on your attempt at percussive maintenance!  :P

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:02 am »
Ignore the cable management, or lack there of. 

Pfft: https://msfn.org/board/topic/67112-post-pictures-and-specifications-of-your-computer-here/page/29/?tab=comments#comment-1074232

I thought about removing it and testing it on a box.

This is, typically, how I test out systems at work. I have run into some boards that I have trouble booting up. One was from a long time ago, we got it in for eval and it never booted. We did RMA it but it wasn't faulty. I can't remember which board it was, but I want to say it was one of Super Micro's gaming/workstation boards from a few generations ago. I had a similar issue with the current board I am evaling, the Asus PRIME TRX40-PRO, where it originally didn't always POST. It would turn on but get stuck on the DRAM light. Even after I did get it to boot it would halt on a restart. Quite frustrating, but in the past week it hasn't been an issue. Not sure if it needed to get broken in or what.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 09:58:32 am »
It's always something so small that causes such a huge issue.

but congrats FFxik, glad we could help you got it resolved.  ;)

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 02:04:30 pm »
Ignore the cable management, or lack there of. 

Pfft: https://msfn.org/board/topic/67112-post-pictures-and-specifications-of-your-computer-here/page/29/?tab=comments#comment-1074232

Not gonna lie.  That looks like the rig I'm currently running...since 07.  Socket LGA 775 none of it's SATA it's all IDE and Molex but some of the components are SATA so, conversion cables everywhere!

Thanks everybody for the help.  Truly appreciated. :D