Author Topic: Your top 10 Favorite Sega Genesis games  (Read 3484 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Your top 10 Favorite Sega Genesis games
« on: February 04, 2020, 09:06:17 pm »
I felt like giving the Sega Genesis some attention cause I've been trying to find some new titles for this system lately so here are some of my favorites.

1.Shinning Force II
2.Phantasy Star III
3.Wonder Boy in Monster World
4.Shinning Force
5.Ghouls 'n Ghosts
6.Streets of Rage
7.Quack Shot
8.Centurion Defender of Rome
9.Castle of Illusion
10.Streets of Rage 2

Well that was hard but these were the games I remeber playing the most.What are some of your favorite games?

pzeke

Re: Your top 10 Favorite Sega Genesis games
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 10:15:07 pm »
I've failed to give the Sega Genesis the attention it deserves, but these are so far the games I have played for an extended period of time and happened to like. I can't do ten, but it's something.

In no particular order...

Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Streets of Rage
Burning Force
Wings of Wor
Ranger X
Gunstar Heroes

I definitely need to make some time for Contra: Hard Corps and Castlevania: Bloodlines.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 10:54:01 pm »
I don't really play my Sega Genesis often but I'll try

1: PGA Tour
2: PGA Tour II
3: PGA Tour III
4: PGA European Tour
5: PGA Tour 96
6: Golden Axe
7: Road Rash
8: Lotus Turbo Challenge
9: NHL 95
10: NBA Jam
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 12:49:39 am »
In no particular order;

1.   Aero the Acrobat
2.   Sonic 3
3.   Sonic & Knuckles
4.   Phantasy Star II
5.   Alien 3
6.   Splatterhouse 2
7.   Road Rash 3
8.   Comix Zone
9.   Boogerman
10. Ecco the Dolphin

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 01:12:26 am »
I barely played the Genesis to any significant amount compared to most Nintendo systems, but generally my favorites were like Sonic 2/3/Sonic & Knuckles, Gunstar Heroes, Ecco the Dolphin 1 & 2, Vectorman, and maybe a few more I'm forgetting.

stealthrush

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 01:46:34 am »
1. Elemental Master
2. Alien Soldier
3. Twinkle Tale
4. Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer
5. Dynamite Headdy
6. Aero Blasters
7. Rent A Hero
8. Atomic Runner
9. Columns III
10. Marvel Land

hexen

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 03:48:41 am »
Man, looking through I actually don't have as much fondness for the Genesis as I thought I did. Most games I played on it where multi-platform where I preferred the SNES version and where I would have trouble narrowing down my SNES list, even filling a Genesis one is kinda hard.

-Sonic 2
-Sonic 3 & Knuckles
-Sonic

Obvious choices out of the way, these are the reason I bought a Genesis (though used from Gamestop for cheap after the systems hayday) in the first place. I hold the slightly controversial ranking in which I prefer Sonic 2 over Sonic 3, though this may be because I never completed a full play-through until a few years back where I had played 1 & 2 fully as a kid.

- Gunstar Heroes

One of the few true things to hold over the SNES in playground debates. I didn't play it until later, but it's amazing in gameplay and music while being very unique. Seven Force is in my top 10 bosses ever for sure.

- Rocket Knight Adventures

Really unique gameplay gimmick and excellent music. Stands above the rest of the non-Sonic mascot platformers.

- Castlevania: Bloodlines

Stands toe-to-toe with the SNES' Castlevania offerings. Not up to 4's standard, but perhaps better than Dracula X.

- Aladdin

The SNES and Genesis version are different enough to be considered their own game. Really tight platforming.

This is really where my list proper ends. There are a lot of games I enjoyed on it as a kid (Vectorman 1 & 2, Mickey & Donald: World of Illusion, Golden Axe, etc.) but they have failed to remain as prominent in my tastes as the above games or their SNES cousins.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 04:01:52 am »
The unfortunate thing for me with Sonic, is that I don't like to play Sonic anymore.  Like I can pop on a Mario game at most any point in the series and have a pretty great time, but after playing through Sonic Mania, the series anymore is really only about its style and music for me and not it's actual gameplay, of which most of the time is just about running into stuff you can't see coming.  It's one of those unfortunate things that just never held up for me.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 06:37:31 am »
The unfortunate thing for me with Sonic, is that I don't like to play Sonic anymore.  Like I can pop on a Mario game at most any point in the series and have a pretty great time, but after playing through Sonic Mania, the series anymore is really only about its style and music for me and not it's actual gameplay, of which most of the time is just about running into stuff you can't see coming.  It's one of those unfortunate things that just never held up for me.

I do absolutely agree with you while I do still like sonic games they where far from the best games on the platform.

Mario on the other wether it's 2 or 3d those games could compete with the best games on the system. it's not a big suprise why mario is so well loved the games are timeless. you can;t really compare mario to sonic really. sonic is more of a mascot with some above average games while mario is a mascot with some of the best games on the platform.

i can actually see mario world being a top 10 game on snes. sonic 2 3 or knuckles being top 3 on sega not really.

If i where to compare sonic to mario it's like comparing an old car to a ferrari there is no competition really. Mario games had a ton of stuff.

1 alien solider
2 gunstar heroes
3 shinobi III
4 second samurai
5  castlevania new generation
6 contra hard cops/ probotector
7: thunder force IV
8: shining force 2
9: adventures of batman & robin
10:gynoug/ wings of wor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:56:07 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 08:10:33 am »
Phantasy Star IV
Gunstar Heroes
Warsong
Castlevania Bloodlines
Shinobi III
Beyond Oasis

That's all I got.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 10:11:04 am »
In no particular order:

Streets of Rage 2
Batman
Strider
Shinobi 3
Revenge of Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
Midnight Resistance
Sonic 2
Golden Axe 2
TMNT Hyperstone Heist

Contra Hard Corps is just too damn hard. Might add Castlevania Bloodlines once I actually play enough of it to judge it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 11:25:41 am »
The genesis still has some good times left in it. The Genesis mini has a bunch of good ones on it, but there’s a couple it left out.
In order if they popped in my head

1) Contra: Hard Corps
2) Castlevania: Bloodlines
3) TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
4) Gunstar Heroes
5) Rocket Knight Adventures
6) Ristar
7) Adventures of Batman and Robin
8 ) Mutant League Football
9) Aladdin
10) Vector man

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 01:17:45 pm »
I've never officially ranked my top Genesis games, but here is a rough order of them. Beyond the top 3 I'm not sure about the rest

1. Sonic 3
2. Sonic and Knuckles
3. Super Street Fighter 2
4. Lightening Force (aka Thunder Force 4)
5. Castlevania Bloodlines
6. MUSHA
7. The Flintstones
8. Gunstar Heroes
9. Sonic the Hedgehog
10. Golden Axe

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 02:16:21 pm »
1. Elemental Master
2. Alien Soldier
3. Twinkle Tale
5. Dynamite Headdy
6. Aero Blasters
7. Rent A Hero
8. Atomic Runner
9. Columns III
10. Marvel Land

Nice to see Alien Soldier and Gleylancer on there. As with most things some of the best games never made their way West. Wasn't Aero Blasters TG16/PC Engine? I know their was an Arrow Flash shooter for Gen/MD.

Mine:
Gunstar Heroes
Light[e]ning Force
Streets of Rage II
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Thunder Force II
Steets of Rage
Biohazard Battle
Super Hangon
Road Rash II
Golden Axe II

stealthrush

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 03:11:17 pm »
1. Elemental Master
2. Alien Soldier
3. Twinkle Tale
5. Dynamite Headdy
6. Aero Blasters
7. Rent A Hero
8. Atomic Runner
9. Columns III
10. Marvel Land

Nice to see Alien Soldier and Gleylancer on there. As with most things some of the best games never made their way West. Wasn't Aero Blasters TG16/PC Engine? I know their was an Arrow Flash shooter for Gen/MD.

Mine:
Gunstar Heroes
Light[e]ning Force
Streets of Rage II
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Thunder Force II
Steets of Rage
Biohazard Battle
Super Hangon
Road Rash II
Golden Axe II

Thanks, very true many gems stayed in Japan unfortunately. When I was really into Treasure dev, Alien Solider was on my bucket list for years. Such an action-packed game. I was going to mention Gaiares, or Arrow Flash (MD/GEN has a bunch of solid shoot'em ups) but decided with Gleylancer ... since I never heard about this game until very recently (2-years ago) I completed it, it really took me by surprise how great the overall game is from the presentation to power-up system.

Yes- Aero Blaster also went by Air Buster is on TG16/PC which is also solid in its own right. Biohazard Battle, nice choice.