Author Topic: Esports  (Read 1556 times)

jalien

Esports
« on: February 09, 2020, 03:21:09 pm »
Hey everyone.

What's your take on esports, are you a fan or not your thing?
And if you do enjoy them, what game and favorite team.
I personally love the Overwatch League and since I am Canadian I root for the Toronto Defiant!

Re: Esports
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 04:38:33 pm »
I'm into certain esports. but the leagues I'm into don't happen all that often. I'm a huge racing fan so I'm mostly into the Forza tornys.

Nickkchilla

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 08:42:48 am »
eSports are pretty cool, although I am triggered I'm not good enough to be apart of any.

I was into Overwatch League until it decided to move to Youtube. Now the only way anyone can get credits for skins at the moment is by purchasing them directly with cash. Yay.

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 12:26:46 pm »
not a fan of the dota, overwatch or league of legends esports stuff I literally fall asleep when i watch that It's pretty boring.

2d fighting games though now that's pretty sweet not all but a ton of em.

Marvel vs capcom 2 is in evo 2020 once again so that's pretty interesting. Maybe old gods like justin Wong will participate in that tournament

ages of empires 2 that's pretty fun aswell.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:22:44 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 03:59:04 pm »
I've never been into it, though I did use to watch some League Play matches in Blops II back in the day. I think it's cool that it's a thing, but it's not my cup of tea.

I remember listening to a segment on NPR where they interviewed a big Smash player and talked about the possibilities of having a large multinational tournament like the Olympics.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 06:11:43 pm »
I'm not that much into esports, especially the really popular ones like Starcraft II, Diablo 3, LoL, DOTA, and Fortnite. In fact the only esport game I've ever found interesting are some of the racing sim games. Particularly how some of the best players on those games have actually been recruited by actual racing teams and given contracts to race real cars for them.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 06:58:50 pm »
I'm not that much into esports, especially the really popular ones like Starcraft II, Diablo 3, LoL, DOTA, and Fortnite. In fact the only esport game I've ever found interesting are some of the racing sim games. Particularly how some of the best players on those games have actually been recruited by actual racing teams and given contracts to race real cars for them.

What? That doesn't even make sense. Driving a virtual car, especially a race car, is nothing like driving a real car. I could see how they might be interested in their knowledge of specs and technical aspects...but most racers spend their life racing before going pro....not playing Forza.

That said, I like the idea of Esports. High Schools now have Esports teams, and kids can win scholarships. IDK enough about them to have a favorite (Or even know any team)

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 07:13:53 pm »

What? That doesn't even make sense. Driving a virtual car, especially a race car, is nothing like driving a real car. I could see how they might be interested in their knowledge of specs and technical aspects...but most racers spend their life racing before going pro....not playing Forza.

That said, I like the idea of Esports. High Schools now have Esports teams, and kids can win scholarships. IDK enough about them to have a favorite (Or even know any team)

I partially agree with you, however the physics in a lot of racing sims are very, very realistic, especially when played with an expensive setup. I don't pretend to know how accurate or realistic those setups make the experience in the games, but it appears to be enough to where a lot of the top players have been approached by racing teams to race for them in real life. I'm sure they're not throwing them in some high stakes grand prix or Le Man, but I'm sure it's sort of a foot in the door situation where they'll invest the time and money to groom them as a real racer. This has happened though, and I think it's pretty cool.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 07:42:54 pm »
I don't know how players even do this, I probably could never handle the pressure to be an Esports competitor, I'm sure if I had a decent team with other people better than me, and handle the hard stuff. I currently think am a decent all around ice hockey video game player, I mean. I can usually win against the CPU on medium on my own, I know how to successfully tweak the AI strategy in more then one hockey game but I have vary poor endurance and get tired out pretty fast to ever be in any online competition

But I know the players are usually much harder to face than even the hardest difficulty AI/CPU
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 07:48:18 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

mark1982

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 10:28:52 pm »
Not a fan, don't have an interest in games played since it's basically multiplayer games, I can only watch a bit of the fighting games.

I just can't get into it, I tried watching some with an acquaintance who lives eSports, just bores me to tears, I'd rather play the game myself.. "shrugs"
  l    l 

kashell

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 08:07:27 am »
Not a fan in the slightest. Sometimes I try to watch a couple of 2D fighting competitions/matches, but the commentary makes me turn it off after about five minutes.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 08:38:24 am »
For sure commentary can be a hit or miss.

but even in 2d fighting games only certain commentators are actually good and many commentators are quite mediocre. for a ton of modern fighting games the commentary is not the best not that the games themselves in all cases are that great.

Hope marvel vs capcom 2 will get some good commentators during evo.

Especially melee has some of my favourite commentators such as D1 Scar toph crimson blur for my taste at least.

or ages of empires 2 with t90
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:22:34 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 09:07:55 am »
Yeah I agree the commentary has to be really good for me to even try watching
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 09:11:52 am »
If I do want to watch a match, I type in "no commentary" in the search bar.

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 10:11:15 am »
So far the way competitions have been "televised" is not ideal. They are designed to follow the traditional sports model, but I think that this is the perfect opportunity for someone to come up with a better way of showcasing the events.