Author Topic: FDS Game Disk case replacement?  (Read 3105 times)

megasilverx1

FDS Game Disk case replacement?
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:31:24 am »
A few months ago I got a Famicom Disk System and have started getting games for it and one of them is just the disk, no box or jewel case. I was looking around and noticed that replacement disk cases aren't really a thing. I understand it's pretty niche, but still I'm kind of surprised no one has made replacement cases for Famicom Disk games. The closest thing I've seen is someone using a DS game case which seems to be the solution for all loose games. Got a loose Game Boy or Game Gear game? Just shove that thing into a DS case and print out a cover. While that would certainly work, I feel that it'd look pretty stupid on the shelf next to the other FDS games that are in their actual official case. I know the disks that Nintendo went with are based off of Mitsumi's Quick Disk but replacement cases for those don't really seems to exist either, so the idea of using a Zip Disk case came to mind. Zip Disks are a little bit larger than a Famicom Disk, so one should fit in a Zip Disk case no problem...other than rattling around a bit, but I'm sure that could be fixed somehow. Plus I feel like it'd look a bit more aesthetically pleasing on a shelf that a random DS case mixed with a handful of cute little disk games. I haven't tried this yet, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has loose FDS games and what they do with them to keep protected from dust and whatnot. Currently my loose disk in kept in a protective resealable bag made for Game Boy manuals and it fits quite nicely in there.

tpugmire

Re: FDS Game Disk case replacement?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 02:28:25 pm »
What game is it that you need a case for?  If it’s not a super rare one, you might be better off buying a copy with the case and selling the one you have. Also, have you looked into the famicomworld forums?  You might have some luck there, they have a lot of very knowledgeable people there who might know more.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

megasilverx1

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 01:34:34 am »
What game is it that you need a case for?  If it’s not a super rare one, you might be better off buying a copy with the case and selling the one you have. Also, have you looked into the famicomworld forums?  You might have some luck there, they have a lot of very knowledgeable people there who might know more.
It's Exciting Billiard which is inexpensive; I suppose I could just get a copy that has the case. I checked Famicom World before posting here but didn't really see anything. I might still give the Zip Disk case thing a try for sh*ts 'n giggles. Plus who knows, I might end up getting another loose disk game down the road that might be worth something.

megasilverx1

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:24:13 pm »
Got some zip disks in the mail today, measured out the dimensions of a zip disk case cover, and printed a cover for the game. The protective bag Exciting Billiard was already in actually made it the perfect size to prevent rattling around.