Author Topic: I just watched a documentary  (Read 1871 times)

I just watched a documentary
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:52:11 pm »
Not for Resale (2019). It makes you think about when you might want to consider jumping ship as a collector and recouping your expenses while you can.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6483458/

Re: I just watched a documentary
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 10:54:33 pm »
A feature-length documentary on local video game stores and the final days of physical media.

I guess if you are going to take it with you when you go then it won't matter.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:29:32 pm »
the writing is is on the wall. New video games will be 100% digital after next gen, mark my words. I think even next gen will be mostly digital.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 12:50:50 am »
I collect my stuff because I want to collect it, not for a financial investment. That's what my 401K, IRAs, and stock portfolio is for.

If the market crashes, it just means it'll be cheaper to get what I want.

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 01:29:43 am »
I understand that most Western gamers may now prefer digital over physical, but I don't see then latter going away anytime soon in Japan.
As for me, the day physical media dies will be the day I'll stop purchasing new video game releases (which would actually be pretty good for my wallet)...

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 06:11:30 am »
I am still hopeful that we get about the same ratio of physical to digital releases next generation.

I am not convinced there will be many physical releases after next gen as streaming may well have taken over. :(

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 06:35:32 am »
Depends since they could overcharge the people who want a physical copy big time

look at all those pricy 100 150 200+ collectors editions these days instead of a game at just 60$. that could be a potential waste in revenue for the minority that wants a physical release.

there will be a market for it however physical will be more exclusive in the upcoming gens.

The only way for physical to completely die out is for higherups to say that their console does not have any drive of some sort to support physical.

It's up to them to decide if physical still is notable enough for the minority.

Also keep in mind that even if physical was still super hyped. companies trying to be greener these days for a better image. Nothing is more clean than digital withouth any materials used for physical copies after all. it could however also stimulate poeple to pirate more since it's only digital in the future.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:48:48 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 07:53:51 am »
A digital only era would be lame, but it would definitely help with me finally clearing the backlog.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 10:36:22 am »
I collect my stuff because I want to collect it, not for a financial investment. That's what my 401K, IRAs, and stock portfolio is for.

If the market crashes, it just means it'll be cheaper to get what I want.

This.

Depends since they could overcharge the people who want a physical copy big time

Also this- look at the number of lil' boutique publishers that have popped up in the last few years. I don't think physical is going away- in the US at least, we just don't have the infrastructure to support an all-digital release yet, and the companies know it (especially seeing how well Stadia landed). However- moving all but the biggest AAA titles to small publishers who charge more for their limited release titles? That's definitely happening. The few remaining "dedicated game stores" are both dying & have expanded their product line to the point that calling it a game store isn't really accurate anymore. Big box stores like Wal-Mart & Target have little incentive to carry older or niche titles. Letting a large part of the physical market move to premium priced boutique publishers will make digital all the more appealing & encourage people to push all the harder for the kind of internet infrastructure needed to move into an all-digital future... which by far benefits the companies more than the consumer.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 07:32:08 pm »
While I agree physical is going away, I doubt it will make past collectibles worthless (Maybe the current Gen since it's so internet reliant) I don't really see anything up through the PS3/Xbox one gen becoming less collectible.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 01:10:24 am »
The thing is, I don't really care if this whole collection was essentially worthless. Most of it I got rather inexpensively. If this stuff was all cheap again, I'd probably get more heavily into collecting. To me it's cool, and it always will be.

mark1982

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 05:39:30 am »
I believe the majority of collectors here are not into collecting games for value. There are so many other things to collect out there with more value than games, hell sneakers are more valuable than video games. My brother collects vintage and rare sneakers and the amount he can sell for those when he needs cash to get new stuff.. woof :o

The reason I collect video games is for happiness to be honest, collecting games gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, esp for titles I am nostalgic for.

l    l