Author Topic: What Kinds Of Media Or Things Do You Think Robbers Steal The Most Of?  (Read 1714 times)

The crime rate is extremely high today in my area. What video games or other forms of media or even consoles do you think are ripe for someone willing to break into a house, or apartment, or storage for?

One person was let in my house and was vary desperate  to see my games to the point of almost starting a fight in my own house, even though the person doesn't not know how many or what I have I didn't say. The person appeared to be extremely angry. All he came into my home for was to look around you know, that type.   I didn't let this person in but someone else did after I told this person not to.

There were gunshots the other night, indicating that people like this. and are in my neighborhood that could try to kill someone for what they want

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:15:45 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: What Kinds Of Media Or Things Do You Think Robbers Steal The Most Of?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 10:15:28 am »
Robbers like to steal- anything valuable they can get ahold of that's easy to sell.

Robbers target- places that are easy to get into.

That's honestly the long & short of it, really. In the department store I work at, shoes get heavily targeted for theft- they're fairly close to the door, easy to carry, & there's a robust collector's market for the right brands (Nike gets targeted pretty heavily.) You'd think they'd go for the more expensive brand name handbags- but those are chained to the displays, you'd need to come in with clippers to get at most of them. It can be done, but it's hard to walk around a store with clippers and not look suspicious, so it doesn't come up.

Media gets targeted becuase most pawn shops will take it. Not every shop takes every thing, though- which would certainly explain the desperation to see exactly what you had. You honestly seem to have the right idea going- don't broadcast too heavily what you own, don't let just anyone in to your place. I'd just keep the doors locked (maybe make sure you've got a good deadbolt for when you're inside too) & have a talk with the other residents of your place about being more cautious of who's allowed in and what they're allowed to see. You're certainly doing better than a friend I used to have who was very paranoid about this kind of thing, but always came to really weird conclusions. For example: they insisted on not having ground floor apartments becuase that was how their friend got robbed- ignoring that said friend was robbed by a causal acquaintance who'd been invited over before, & knew said friend's work schedule. Doesn't matter where in the building your apartment is if you let yourself get cased!

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 10:53:59 am »
Oldgamerz, I’m sorry to hear that something like has happened to you.

Most media has little to no value on the secondary market.  Games are the rare exception, because new titles can have little depreciation.  However, thieves / burglars generally don’t have the time to sort through and find the high value items.  They are going to go for electronics, jewelry, guns.  That’s not to say you shouldn’t be worried, but media’s not what most thieves will be after.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 01:21:33 pm »
Media gets targeted because most pawn shops will take it. Not every shop takes every thing, though

Yeah, at a store I used to work at, it was pretty common to find 3-4 stolen CDs a day, but once the local pawn shops stopped taking them, the rate dropped down to about 1 every 3-4 months.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 05:34:27 pm »
Oldgamerz, I’m sorry to hear that something like has happened to you.

Most media has little to no value on the secondary market.  Games are the rare exception, because new titles can have little depreciation.  However, thieves / burglars generally don’t have the time to sort through and find the high value items.  They are going to go for electronics, jewelry, guns.  That’s not to say you shouldn’t be worried, but media’s not what most thieves will be after.

thanks for the concern

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 08:54:29 pm »
Robbers like to steal- anything valuable they can get ahold of that's easy to sell.

Robbers target- places that are easy to get into.

That's honestly the long & short of it, really. In the department store I work at, shoes get heavily targeted for theft- they're fairly close to the door, easy to carry, & there's a robust collector's market for the right brands (Nike gets targeted pretty heavily.) You'd think they'd go for the more expensive brand name handbags- but those are chained to the displays, you'd need to come in with clippers to get at most of them. It can be done, but it's hard to walk around a store with clippers and not look suspicious, so it doesn't come up.

Media gets targeted becuase most pawn shops will take it. Not every shop takes every thing, though- which would certainly explain the desperation to see exactly what you had. You honestly seem to have the right idea going- don't broadcast too heavily what you own, don't let just anyone in to your place. I'd just keep the doors locked (maybe make sure you've got a good deadbolt for when you're inside too) & have a talk with the other residents of your place about being more cautious of who's allowed in and what they're allowed to see. You're certainly doing better than a friend I used to have who was very paranoid about this kind of thing, but always came to really weird conclusions. For example: they insisted on not having ground floor apartments becuase that was how their friend got robbed- ignoring that said friend was robbed by a causal acquaintance who'd been invited over before, & knew said friend's work schedule. Doesn't matter where in the building your apartment is if you let yourself get cased!

vary true I discovered 3-4 AM is high time. When years earlier my older apartment almost got broken into  even though the front entrance  to the main staircase was always locked but someone took the back way into the courtyard, my apartment was on the 2nd deck, in  short story I was awake and near my door when I heard someone open my screen door and jiggle the handle lock on the second door handle.

the guy must have saw that I was near my door through my closed window blinds and I heard the man say the word Sh!t. and I heard him running as fast as he could out the back staircase. and out of the courtyard.

It's slightly safer if you or your landlords got the place under some kind surveillance, my 2nd apartment had surveillance in the front but not in the back my 1st apartment had no cameras at all. front or back

When my 2nd apartment got a new roof one of the cameras might have spotted the workmen stealing part of my CD collection, the landlord somehow managed to find and grap 98% of what was stolen in which the roofer might have sold my things as the re-sale shop less than a block away from my 2nd apartment building.

My loving landlords in my 2nd apartment one day called me up and came with a box and returned most of my stolen CD's in a box and I thank them a lot for it too,

NO APPS NEEDED

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 09:28:29 pm »
All he came into my home for was to look around you know, that type.   I didn't let this person in but someone else did after I told this person not to.

No, I don't know that type. If someone strange comes to my house and asks to come in just so they can look around? I would laugh, tell them to leave immediately or I'm calling the police, and slam the door in their face.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 11:53:54 am »
All he came into my home for was to look around you know, that type.   I didn't let this person in but someone else did after I told this person not to.

No, I don't know that type. If someone strange comes to my house and asks to come in just so they can look around? I would laugh, tell them to leave immediately or I'm calling the police, and slam the door in their face.

The type of person I was referring to was a person that would never look us in the eyes, and looked sharply at everything he saw in the room he was in. he was allowed into my home by someone else,

If you have a stranger or even friend or relative that comes into your home or game room and eyeballing everything in sight and avoiding eye contact with you or your household

everyone should be suspicious of that person in my opinion. I was taught never to trust a man or women with wandering eyes, I grew up with at least 5 neighborhood boys that would just come into my home to steal something

(edit) I did end up slamming the door in his face
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:00:32 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED