Author Topic: Which Do You Do More Of Play And Dump? Or Play And Keep Them?  (Read 1343 times)

@Seether asked a similar question in an earlier thread about do you replay games?
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10582.msg173895.html#msg173895

my question is asking which of the following do you do more? replay or dump most games after completing 100% like you're renting them.

I usually keep them after I beat them, then try something else. I never encountered a game yet that I want to get rid of after I finished it but I was in desperation once and got rid of a lot of my former collection

we're all collectors so maybe this is a stupid question but I have to deal with this post.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:15:57 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Which Do You Do More Of Play And Dump? Or Play And Keep Them?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:05:49 pm »
I used to complete a lot of linear single player campaigns over the course of a weekend and not enjoy replaying them because I knew how they played out and it felt repetitive to see the same story again. So in the past I would complete things and then sell them while they had as much value as possible to get something else because I had no interest in replays.

These days I am very selective about the games I buy and try to get only things that I think I'd want to play and keep.

I really look for longevity in my games now. I want non-linear games with replay value. Or perhaps an infinitely replay able horde mode where you’re in it for the fun gameplay and not the story that you only really want to hear once.

I want the games on my shelves to be ones that I can pick up any time and have a fun time with regardless of how many times I’ve played them before.

I want choices, emergent gameplay, random events, variables, loot, customisation, options, a living world, fun core gameplay and loop

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 12:43:49 pm »
Play & keep. I enjoy having the archive around, even if I'm not going to be actively using most of it save for a couple days a year. It's good for research (sometimes it's faster just to pull out my copies than to look things up online). Most importantly, it's especially good for sharing with others. I've had such times come up a lot over the years.

My brother to a friend 'No, Kid Icarus was great, you have to try it if you get a chance!"
Me overhearing: "I'll go get it set up."
Brother: "Wait, you HAVE Kid Icarus?!"

My sister: "I'd love to get that original Zelda collection for my Gamecube, but it's too expensive."
Me: "I have it if you want to borrow it."
Sister: "REALLY?!"

Friend: "Have you heard anything about this Journey game? It looks good & the soundtrack seems cool."
Me: "I have it- when can you come over?"

BIL: "I'm probably gonna get rid of my PS2 stuff soon, my only controller broke so I can't play it anymore."
Me: *Throws PS2 controller at him*
BIL: "I can't take your controller!"
Me: "It's fine, I've got 5 as it is. I'm sure I'll find another one cheap at a thrift store eventually anyway." (One week and $2 later I'd already replaced the one I gave him)

Going through the collection & relishing the nostalgia & the history is fine, but nothing- NOTHING- beats the sharing with others. Makes me wish I had more people to share with sometimes.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »

Going through the collection & relishing the nostalgia & the history is fine, but nothing- NOTHING- beats the sharing with others. Makes me wish I had more people to share with sometimes.

I'm also a play and keep (More time to keep than play these days though) I miss sharing my collection with others. I have no real life friends who game, so It sucks nott having anyone to talk to about games like in the olden days, lol.

I have every system (And probably most games still) I've ever owned except the Sega Genesis (Stolen with all games), and my 3DO with all games (Sold when I wanted money for something else). REALLLY regret selling that 3DO.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 02:00:06 pm »
I intend to keep every title that I enjoyed playing. Even if I could never see myself actually going back and playing it again, it's still going to stay in my collection.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 04:02:46 pm »
It really depends on the kind of game for me, I guess

With recent iterations of yearly sports titles, I'm more inclined to play & dump, since there isn't much change between them aside from roster updates. I will keep certain sports titles if they are of significant or they have a good replay value.

Everything else, I pretty much play and keep!

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 04:39:13 pm »
Buy them and don't play them? Yeah ok you got me.

ferraroso

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 06:53:30 pm »

This...

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 07:16:52 pm »

Are you really an db admin, question collectors on a collectors site? JHC.
That said, I intend to play everything I own eventually..... but I'm an actual adult, with a life/home to maintain and a career that I work very hard at. Gaming/collecting is a hobby that unfortunately I don't always have as much time as I would like for....flip people that have a problem with that.

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 10:13:53 am »
Part of the reason is I end up playing games that have no actual end. I put all that time into something you can't 100% meaning I don't give myself the chance to play other things that can actually be finished.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:00:50 am »
Part of the reason is I end up playing games that have no actual end. I put all that time into something you can't 100% meaning I don't give myself the chance to play other things that can actually be finished.

I am the same way, the games I play are more casual games. The Sims, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Golf or other sport games (etc) I play games a vary long time and not ever really beat them. I mean all of  the sims Series's for PC have no end, and it's fun
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:03:50 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 11:52:49 am »
A little bit of both.  I tend to play and keep with retro and play and dump with modern.  This is mostly because retro prices don't tank like modern, so I can usually rebuy down the line.

Limited Print stuff is usually play and dump regardless because they just aren't worth owning... especially the garbage LRG puts out.