Author Topic: Does a Game and Box Have to Match Exactly?  (Read 3412 times)

Does a Game and Box Have to Match Exactly?
« on: March 11, 2020, 09:17:08 pm »
Let's say you get Super Mario Bros 2 without the box, cartridge only.  Then you go on eBay or somewhere and a SMB2 box is for sale (it's not a reproduction case).  Does it matter from a collector standpoint if it's not the original box that particular cartridge came in?  Like, do the serial numbers have to match for it to be "pure"?

Re: Does a Game and Box Have to Match Exactly?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 11:32:35 pm »
Entirely up to your discretion, there's no agreed upon rule. Personally, attempting to do so is explicitly impossible for most of my games, and too expensive for my tastes.

r33benelli

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 03:25:07 am »
Depends on what you define as 'collector standpoint'
If you're collecting for yourself and personal use (like I do). Doesn't really matter and up to your discretion
If you're collecting to resell later on then serials should at least match all across. As most potential buyers will check especially if the game is uncommon and/or expensive. 

By no means am I an expert but as long as all the barcodes, serials, cart/disc codes all match then it **should** be all the same. Most games might have ONE variant: a greatest hits/platinum version or sometimes a variant front cover. Even for the most part a majority of variant case covers share the same serials as the regular edition. 

One experience I had was with Radiant Historia on the DS. I bought a brand new sealed regular edition off amazon 3 years back. Then I found the launch edition outer box and soundtrack for $15 one year later loose.  I bought it and I compared the serials, box code, game cart serial of what I bought to about 4 different launch editions samples online and to 1 actual launch edition I found at a local retro game store.....I found them all to have the same serials. From that I concluded there was no difference, which makes sense from a manufacturing point. If Atlus made 2 different version than that would be 2 different production costs,runs,registrations and 2 different inventory SKUs to keep track.

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven for the 3ds is another one that all serials are all the same. Whether launch edition or if you piece together your own launch edition.

I would only see this as an issue on actual rare/uncommon,expensive games. However, if a game is expensive and rare then it's likely to have a low print run and most likely not have a greatest hits/platinum version or any variants to worry about. Rule of Rose and Kuon don't have Greatest Hits versions if they did then they wouldn't be expensive....so buying it loose and buying a case/manual separate will yield the same serials and disc codes.  Not to mention if you're looking to spend at the higher tier then it would be wise to research what you are buying or just pay the premium and buy new and sealed if you can't be bothered.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:27:18 am by r33benelli »

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 11:42:21 am »
I've only seen people care if the box and item happen to have serial numbers.  Matching console and console box type of thing.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 12:09:41 pm »
As far as my own collection goes, I started doing it only once I figured out there were differences and then attempted to figure out what combinations of things were sold that way. When I set out to collect Genesis games, I didn't intend on collecting variations, but as I was buying games I found a lot of stuff on the secondary market is mismatched or piecemealed together. I try to keep all the correct stuff together, but it really doesn't add any value to anything. It is more of a "why not" situation I guess.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 01:23:38 pm »
Let's say you get Super Mario Bros 2 without the box, cartridge only.  Then you go on eBay or somewhere and a SMB2 box is for sale (it's not a reproduction case).  Does it matter from a collector standpoint if it's not the original box that particular cartridge came in?  Like, do the serial numbers have to match for it to be "pure"?

It’s up to you, homie. It’s your collection. Do what makes you happy.
My collection is a mish-mash. I just try to keep the versions matching.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 04:16:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I have some thinking to do it seems.  I don't plan on selling my collection, but on the other hand I'm a perfectionist by nature.  I have found that purchasing games cib is more expensive, but I hate having just the game sitting on the shelf without it's box.  Might just have to swallow my pride in some cases and mix and match.

I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from selling most of my already played games at the family garage sale.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 12:25:35 pm »
I only try to match things with key visual differences- for example, a Greatest Hits disc gets a Greatest Hits case. I don't fret over trying to match serial numbers & disc codes- seems like too much work to find a list of what matches what, especially since you'd need to check everything you bought used (who's to say it didn't get piecemealed before your bought it?)

I actually do own a couple of 'mistmatched' titles. My copy of Daxter on PSP is a Greatest Hits disc in a regular case. I'm not sure that one counts, becuase it's technically the pack-in version and I have the lil' slipcover from that in there. It's more like I got a Daxter storage case for my GH pack-in copy. The real problem title is my copy of Killer Instinct on Xbox One- I wasn't paying enough attention when I picked it up secondhand at Gamestop, didn't figure out until the next day I got the Definitive Edition discs in a Combo Breaker case. Technically it worked out for me- I got charged for the Combo Breaker version, which is cheaper, but now I can't find an empty case of the Definitive Edition for sale to make it 'match'. I really only need the art insert, I bought a replacement case with 2 disc hubs- but I can't find that either. *shrugs*

topspot123

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 07:39:58 pm »
For me, it's a matter of degrees of improvement.

Game without box < Game with wrong box < Game with right box.

I only have a few instances of this in my collection.  It doesn't 'bother' me, but I am aware of my collection's discrepancies, and I always have the opportunity to track down the right items in the future.  That just isn't my collecting priority. 

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:07:13 pm »
nes and them variants are horrible indeed unless your getting it complete from the beginning.

multiple cart lables multiple box variants and when you think the manual is correct with the exact same code the first page usually had the seal matching with the correct box, making the manuals different even when they have matching codes.

So glad snes and up is just 1 version and that sega never had this kind of BS.

Sure all games had them greatest hits versions even snes. but it's only 2 versions not to mention easily spotted unlike with nes in wich you have to pay attention and in wich a ton of people don't notice the differences.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 10:22:41 pm »
I never knew this was a thing. So, it certainly doesn't matter to me. Why stop there? Why not hunt down the literal box your games came in? Heck, just buy everything sealed. Unless you do, you'll never get all of those registration cards and Nintendo power ads, or those original baggies the carts came in, etc.

Either be 100% thorough and hardcore, or just settle for either boxed or loose, I'd say.