Author Topic: What Is The Best Way To Play Most Gameboy Games On A TV?  (Read 3126 times)

What Is The Best Way To Play Most Gameboy Games On A TV?
« on: March 07, 2020, 05:50:32 am »
The reason why I'm asking this is because

I have a special cord to plug a Gameboy Advance into my GameCube but no idea how to use it. Do I also need a special disc too? Will this work?

or can I do this by just connecting a Gameboy Advance into my Gamecube via this transfer cable

or will I have issues with this?

and What kind of Gameboy Advance do i need for this? I current don't own any Gameboy

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:27:15 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: What Is The Best Way To Play Most Gameboy Games On A TV?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 06:08:01 am »
Pretty sure you need a Game Boy Player (with disc) to play games on TV. The cable is usually used to play minigames on a GBA screen.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 06:16:49 am »
weirdfeline is right, thetransfer cable is the connect features between the GBA and the GC - Metroid Fusion to Metroid Prime for example.  You need the Gameboy Advance Player (and disc) to play GBA games on the GC.

There are some Retron consoles out there that play GBA games, however.  But they can get a little pricey.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 09:02:10 am »
As stated, the Gameboy Player is needed to run Gameboy games on a TV from a Gamecube- you need both the player (hooks onto the bottom of the Gamecube) and the startup disc (by far the hardest bit to find.) The cable you have is likely just the one used to operate a GBA like a second screen/controller in certain games. It's used, for example, in multiplayer on Zelda Four Sword Adventure & Crystal Chronicles. It can also be used with an E-reader to scan Animal Crossing cards for goodies in that game.

If you want an official means of playing Gameboy games on your TV, the GC Gameboy Player is your best option. The SNES has the Super Gameboy, but it only covers original GB titles. The GC player will run GB, GBC, and GBA. If you're OK with aftermarket options, there's a few floating around- The Innovation adapter from back in the day hooks onto your GBA & runs a composite cable out to your TV. It's hard to find now, you'd probably be better off with the GB player if your already have a Gamecube. Many of the multi-players (your retrons and what-not) have GB slots- anything that does should run the full library, but system build varies so do your homework. There's also the GBA consolizer- that's a kit to turn a GBA into an HDMI-connectible unit. It's currently the only HDMI option (aside from HDMI modding a Gamecube & getting a GB player), but it does involve mod work & sacrificing a GBA to get re-built into the TV variant. You'll need an SNES controller for gameplay, & some places have 'shells' to replace the GBA body entirely so it looks more console-y. The kit's also currently sold out, but you might find people selling it & finished units around the 'net.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 09:58:43 am »
thanks as always for the information :)

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 11:25:27 am »
If you've got the money to spend, like hoshichiri said, the GBA consolizer mod looks like an awesome way to play all Game Boy titles on your TV. The upcoming Analogue Pocket also looks like an amazing solution as it's portable, and also can be docked for play on a TV, the thing will run $200 though. If you can find a Game Boy Player with the disc, it's probably the most economical solution.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

telly

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 12:21:28 pm »
When I use my Game Boy Player I almost always connect my SP as the controller because I can't stand using the GameCube controller for Game Boy games.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 02:27:06 pm »
In line with aftermarket options already mentioned I saw that hyperkin announced development of its Hyperkin Retron Jr. Game Boy Console with HDMI 720 for GB, GBC, & GBA.

If you already own a Super Nintendo a Super Gameboy will work for original Gameboy games.  Super Gameboy adapters for SNES have come way down in cost but you can order them from Japan for even less.  Its SUPER easy to make a USA SNES region free, just a pair of pliers and about sixty seconds.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 11:37:00 pm »
When I use my Game Boy Player I almost always connect my SP as the controller because I can't stand using the GameCube controller for Game Boy games.

Wait- you connect your...

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT WAS AN OPTION?!

That's gonna make a LOT of my GBA games SO much easier to play!

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 12:21:48 am »

I assume this cord but I could be wrong?

This is the one I have and according to product description this is the one to do that I believe it Also mentions the game must also be compatible
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Advance-Gamecube-Link-Cable/dp/B07TLP1V8Q/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=gba+to+gamecube+link+cable&qid=1583727507&sr=8-3

this is the cord I was referring to but in I guess this still requires a gameboy player. and a rare disc to work also
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:30:34 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

telly

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 07:41:55 am »

Yes you can! I do it all the time  :)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 11:35:42 am »

there is also the hori gba controller wich is pretty nice for them gba games. sadly the controller is pricy as hell.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Flashback2012

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 02:03:24 pm »
there is also the hori gba controller wich is pretty nice for them gba games. sadly the controller is pricy as hell.

It is quite pricey and what's more, the cord for it is non-existent. You absolutely need a cord extender to use it and not sit arms length away from the TV.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 02:38:35 pm »
Play GB games on your SNES with the Super Game Boy player on a CRT.

I also have the Game Boy player for the Gamecube that's hooked up to my Sony Bravia LCD, and there's noticeable lag.  Even tried it on my older Plasma, same issue.

If you have the means to play both, try and make sure it's on a CRT.