Author Topic: Do You Consider The SONY PlayStation 3's A Failure  (Read 8464 times)

Re: Do You Consider The SONY PlayStation 3's A Failure
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 09:52:31 am »
I just don't hear that many people mentioning the PS3 console in general.

I don't hear a lot on the 360 these days either. The Wii got a brief spike when the Eshop shut down, but it's largely quiet too.

This generation has fallen into the 'dark era', as I think of it- too old to be 'last gen' (it's techincally the case, but with PS5/Series X looming, soon that won't be true anymore), but too new to be 'retro'. This also means it's prime time to be collecting for these... the next few years will see these games drop to absolute rock-bottom before they move into the 'retro' window and start coming back up as demand increases. Keep an eye on things!

It outsold the 360 so no.

Barely, and it took 6 years before PS3 lifetime sales overtook the 360's. And in the end, the 360 still sold about 20 million more consoles than the PS3 did in North America; What gave the PS3 the main lead was the fact that the xbox brand is a complete failure in the Japanese market.

This is important- the end numbers aren't as important as when the sales occurred for cultural impact. The 360 had a strong start & dominated most of the generation, so it gets the recognition in the mind of the people (Wii notwithstanding). You see something similar in the 16 bit era. Looking at the sales, you just assume Genesis was a footnote in Nintendo's march of success... but the system's timing in North America gave Sega a HUGE lead for the beginning of the 90s, so people remember a much closer race. Perspective is a funny thing.

tripredacus

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 09:58:20 am »
At the time of its release, and up until the the slim models were in stores, the PS3 was the cheapest consumer BD player on the market. Makes you wonder if Sony planned it that way, to get more people to buy PS3 when they just wanted a BD player.

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 04:05:26 pm »

Barely, and it took 6 years before PS3 lifetime sales overtook the 360's. And in the end, the 360 still sold about 20 million more consoles than the PS3 did in North America; What gave the PS3 the main lead was the fact that the xbox brand is a complete failure in the Japanese market.

ps3 lost 300$ for every early ps3 console that they sold even if they sold a bit more profit wise ps3 was a shit show. xbox 360 probably did allot better in wich they did not sell consoles with such heavy losses

they where really banking on game sales apprently, attracting consumers with lower console prices.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2006/nov/17/sonylosescash

I'm pretty sure nintendo is the only one who either breaks even per console sale or a small profit since microsoft and sony both lose money per sold console. sony however went a bit overboard during ps3 era. 300$ loss per console is just crazy.

You quoted a link from the PS3 launch....I'm sure it lessened quite a bit over the years. They even indicate MS sold every 360 at a loss as well. That is not proof that it was that way through their lifespan.

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 05:29:20 pm »

ps3 lost 300$ for every early ps3 console that they sold even if they sold a bit more profit wise ps3 was a shit show. xbox 360 probably did allot better in wich they did not sell consoles with such heavy losses

they where really banking on game sales apprently, attracting consumers with lower console prices.

I'm pretty sure nintendo is the only one who either breaks even per console sale or a small profit since microsoft and sony both lose money per sold console. sony however went a bit overboard during ps3 era. 300$ loss per console is just crazy.

You quoted a link from the PS3 launch....I'm sure it lessened quite a bit over the years. They even indicate MS sold every 360 at a loss as well. That is not proof that it was that way through their lifespan.

it took them 4 years to break even. and the profits where not that hot after those times. ps3 did not do to well for sony

also like i said xbox 360 had way less losses per console. they recouped their money way faster only around  100 $ for xbox 360

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2010/06/29/playstation-3-is-finally-breaking-even/

it's also the only generation in wich sony wasn't the best selling console + them games

Nintendo was king in wii ps3 xbox360 era
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:33:46 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 09:17:55 pm »

The Red Ring of Death cost Microsoft over a billion.

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 10:28:20 pm »
People I assume just didn't want the PlayStation 2 era to end I guess, from what I remember the SONY PS2 was still getting new games and selling them until (edit) 2012 or 2014 in my area

(edit)
but that I guess was still good for Sony since Sony was selling games for both consoles at those time frames

the PlayStation 3 came out in 2006, and I never even seen a PlayStation 3 since I got my vary first one in 2015
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:47:42 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 08:16:44 am »

The Red Ring of Death cost Microsoft over a billion.

at 300$ loss per console just selling consoles costed sony Billions. where talking 4 years straight of console selling before they made a cheaper model, Millions of consoles have been sold by that point ps3 was past it's prime at that point.

just 1 billion is small fry compared to the losses that sony made in ps3 era.

When it finally was profitable after many years they made way less money than any other sony console generation.

Ps3 was a big failure for sony standards.

heck even if we ignore money ps3 in terms of games was very mediocre for sony standards

ps1 had an amazing library with revolutionary titles
ps2 literally dominated the market with an even larger library and once again groundbreaking games reason to play the console.

Ps3 had nothing notable, Ps4 is literally what ps3 was but far better + tons more indi games since that market was booming in the beginning of ps4 era.
The ps3 has a very forgettable library. an inferior ps4 in terms of it's own games and a way less interesting and smaller library of great games.

in comparison out of the 4 sony consoles  ps3 has by far the most boring library of them all it's not even a competition.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:40:18 pm by sworddude »

I guess you guys needed The SONY PlayStation 3's history lessons
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 01:20:53 am »
Compared to Xbox 360 quite possibly yes allow me to explain from what I learned PlayStation 2 is the best console from Sony aka Soyny coming off on to PlayStation 3 PlayStation 3 was flopping hard,I think PlayStation 2 is either golden age for gaming or golden age for console gaming & let me ask you this who saved Soyny's sorry asses who saved Soyny from almost going to go bankrupt?

Give up? Here's a hint it wasn't the hardcore gamers give up still? It was us weebs who loves anime,anime games,niche games,niche Japanese games,Japanese games & anime niche anime games or you guys can call them fanservice games or anime titty games thanks to us weebs kept Soyny afloat Soyny now chasing us otakus & the weebs,Japanese developers,Japanese publishers,Japanese studios,our Japanese otaku brothers & our Japanese otaku sisters off platforms as thanks for us otakus & the weebs who saved Soyny's sorry asses & saved Soyny's sorry asses almost going to go bankrupt like what us otakus & the weebs did for PlayStation 3.

I wonder how long will Soyny last without us otakus & the weebs we the weebs won't be there again to saved Soyny's sorry asses again after how Soyny backstabbing us otakus,weebs,gamers,final fantasy fan/huge fans & hentai fans,backstabbing our communities & worse of all backstabbing their business partners & for what all for Puritans,normies,SJWs/npcs & feminists & I'm looking forward to PlayStation 5 flopping & flopping hard without us the weebs to saved Soyny's sorry asses again like what we did for PlayStation 3 & I want Soyny to go bankrupt faster the better :).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:27:48 am by eaglelord9814 »

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 06:03:39 am »
Compared to Xbox 360 quite possibly yes allow me to explain from what I learned PlayStation 2 is the best console from Sony aka Soyny coming off on to PlayStation 3 PlayStation 3 was flopping hard,I think PlayStation 2 is either golden age for gaming or golden age for console gaming & let me ask you this who saved Soyny's sorry asses who saved Soyny from almost going to go bankrupt?

Give up? Here's a hint it wasn't the hardcore gamers give up still? It was us weebs who loves anime,anime games,niche games,niche Japanese games,Japanese games & anime niche anime games or you guys can call them fanservice games or anime titty games thanks to us weebs kept Soyny afloat Soyny now chasing us otakus & the weebs,Japanese developers,Japanese publishers,Japanese studios,our Japanese otaku brothers & our Japanese otaku sisters off platforms as thanks for us otakus & the weebs who saved Soyny's sorry asses & saved Soyny's sorry asses almost going to go bankrupt like what us otakus & the weebs did for PlayStation 3.

I wonder how long will Soyny last without us otakus & the weebs we the weebs won't be there again to saved Soyny's sorry asses again after how Soyny backstabbing us otakus,weebs,gamers,final fantasy fan/huge fans & hentai fans,backstabbing our communities & worse of all backstabbing their business partners & for what all for Puritans,normies,SJWs/npcs & feminists & I'm looking forward to PlayStation 5 flopping & flopping hard without us the weebs to saved Soyny's sorry asses again like what we did for PlayStation 3 & I want Soyny to go bankrupt faster the better :).

Otaku's are not the reason that Sony does so well or else the Vita wouldn't have flopped.  The Playstation 5 is guaranteed to do well short of them doing something completely out of left field like Xbox did at first with the Xbox One.  This kind of talk really serves no purpose, it's toxic and hyperbolic, and it blows up an issue that is incredibly minor and affects very few games.  I understand what it is about and I don't agree with most censorship short of real hateful or downright ignorant garbage, but perv games getting some light tweaks or some ass not getting fully shown off in Devil May Cry 5 does not justify wanting bankruptcy from a major pillar of the gaming industry.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:05:14 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 08:36:21 am »

Otaku's are not the reason that Sony does so well or else the Vita wouldn't have flopped.  The Playstation 5 is guaranteed to do well short of them doing something completely out of left field like Xbox did at first with the Xbox One.  This kind of talk really serves no purpose, it's toxic and hyperbolic, and it blows up an issue that is incredibly minor and affects very few games.  I understand what it is about and I don't agree with most censorship short of real hateful or downright ignorant garbage, but perv games getting some light tweaks or some ass not getting fully shown off in Devil May Cry 5 does not justify wanting bankruptcy from a major pillar of the gaming industry.

*Slow clap for truth*

Sony didn't go bankrupt because they had money to burn from the PS2 success, & because they eventually got their stuff together- the second part of the PS3's run got some amazing gems. The Last of Us & Uncharted were PS3. Demon's Souls inspired the genre-defining Dark Souls. There are some really incredible games on the machine.

If Sony was looking to be 'saved' by ecchi games, why did Record of Agarest War only hit digital on PS3? The 360 got a physical release- it even got a limited edition with a '3D mousepad' and 'pillowcase'.

Niche games do not populate on a system to 'save' it, they do so because there's a high enough install base to land sales. Vita, for example, is not being saved because of American anime fans- Vita performed better in Asia overall. Those are the fans being sold to. As a result, the people who are willing to import games are disproportionately Vita owners.

Your complaints are unbecoming- just buy a Switch or a nice gaming PC & relax.

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 08:01:27 pm »
You’ve both said it more eloquently and far nicer than I would have.

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:10 pm »
Im getting some lordscott vibes from edgelord based on his run on sentences and mentioning Final Fantasy in his posts cuz of reasons.

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 09:06:26 pm »
Im getting some lordscott vibes from edgelord based on his run on sentences and mentioning Final Fantasy in his posts cuz of reasons.

It is.  They admitted to it in their first or second post.

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 10:38:38 pm »

It is.  They admitted to it in their first or second post.

Makes sense as I said in my previous post. Although the wanting Sony to fail part kind of threw me off.

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 12:10:24 pm »

*Slow clap for truth*

Sony didn't go bankrupt because they had money to burn from the PS2 success, & because they eventually got their stuff together- the second part of the PS3's run got some amazing gems. The Last of Us & Uncharted were PS3. Demon's Souls inspired the genre-defining Dark Souls. There are some really incredible games on the machine.

If Sony was looking to be 'saved' by ecchi games, why did Record of Agarest War only hit digital on PS3? The 360 got a physical release- it even got a limited edition with a '3D mousepad' and 'pillowcase'.

Niche games do not populate on a system to 'save' it, they do so because there's a high enough install base to land sales. Vita, for example, is not being saved because of American anime fans- Vita performed better in Asia overall. Those are the fans being sold to. As a result, the people who are willing to import games are disproportionately Vita owners.

Your complaints are unbecoming- just buy a Switch or a nice gaming PC & relax.

are there actually any ecchi or anime games with insane sales. just because in current gen there are allot of them doesn't mean many of them sold exceptionally well. PS vita was kinda the machine for that for example didn't save it since those games do rarely give big sales. There is a market for it but it's not enough for it to make a new console profitable.

I mean the closest things to anime games selling big money are Final Fantasy, kingdom hearts and persona 5 maybe and even than pales in comparison to stuff like gran tourismo fifa GTA COD  mario pokemon the actual system sellers.

Or what about witcher assasins greed red dead redemption wich again are games that have way more sales than pretty much any anime games. Anime games  rarely if ever carry consoles, and in the case that they do, the consoles aren't that succesfull with low sales since your missing out on the majority of the buyers than.

but yes on a popular consoles you'll have a higher shot of the more niche games to be bought since you'll have more potential buyers.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:15:21 pm by sworddude »