Author Topic: Will I know if an item I submitted is deleted?  (Read 1115 times)

Will I know if an item I submitted is deleted?
« on: March 23, 2020, 08:02:02 pm »
Hello there,
as a lot of you I guess, I have submitted several items to the website. Now, I was thinking, what if one of those items was not accepted by the admins for any reasons? Will I be notified?

I'm scared thinking that I may have submitted some items that didn't got accepted and I wouldn't know that those items are not in my list.

And just to be sure, if an item is duplicated, when the more incomplete one is deleted by the admins, both items merge, right?

Thanks for the good job, people. Love the website.

pifflegatari

Re: Will I know if an item I submitted is deleted?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 02:08:16 am »
As far as I know, you can check your accepted or rejected edits on the notifications icon on the top right corner of the website (it is a triangle with an exclamation point and it turns yellow, I think, when there is a new notification). It will also state the reason if an edit gets rejected. If you submit a new entry, it wouldn't get taken down immediately unless someone catches it. If you find a duplicate or a blank entry, you can let the DB staff know on the forum in the Video Game Database Discussion board in the "Duplicate List" (for duplicate entries) and "Error listings and rejected edits" (for blank and other inaccurate entries, or if you have questions about a rejected entry) sticky posts.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:09:47 am by pifflegatari »

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:55:19 am »
Hey, thanks for your answer.

It seems to me however that on the triangle on the top right corner you can only see your EDITS, but not your SUBMITTED items... so the question remains.

Thanks anyway.

pifflegatari

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:05:50 am »
It should appear in Latest items (right under Latest threads) if you just submitted a new item, but other than that, yeah, you don't get a notification if your newly submitted item went through or not; it just gets posted right away even if it's a "bad entry" like a duplicate or a blank one. I don't think there is any sort of "auto moderation" filter here that just auto rejects or approves entries because duplicate and blank entries do occur sometimes.

Hey, thanks for your answer.

It seems to me however that on the triangle on the top right corner you can only see your EDITS, but not your SUBMITTED items... so the question remains.

Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:09:33 am by pifflegatari »

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 03:14:17 am »
So I maye have submitted something, it didn't got trough (maybe a mistake in the name, the boxart, whatever...) and I wouldn't know. I would think that item is forever on my list and I can "forget" about it, but it isn't..?

Anyone else has any info on this?

Again, it's just to be sure I know my collection is complete, I love the website and the work you guys do :)

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 08:19:16 am »
So I maye have submitted something, it didn't got trough (maybe a mistake in the name, the boxart, whatever...) and I wouldn't know. I would think that item is forever on my list and I can "forget" about it, but it isn't..?

Anyone else has any info on this?

Again, it's just to be sure I know my collection is complete, I love the website and the work you guys do :)

I think you're misunderstanding piffle- let me try and clarify:

If you post a new listing that has something in it that prevents it from being accepted, you'll get an error message. Otherwise, it will be added- no matter how bad the listing is. All that gets checked when a new item is submitted is if the minimum info is present (which would be item name & category), and if any additional info is formatted right (like not uploading a .txt file for a photo). The quality of the submitted information is not checked- you wanna add Zelda on the Sega Genesis with a picture of Crash Bandicoot? You can, as long as you fill out the form right.

What you will not be informed of, is if your listing is deleted or merged. Obviously, Genesis Zelda/Bandicoot would be deleted. You would not be told, it'd just be gone. I believe listings identifies as duplicate are indeed merged- but you wouldn't be told about that either. Also, since we're all human, a 'duplicate' listing might not actually be a duplicate, just a poorly described variant- and you could find yourself merged into the wrong listing.

I reccomend going over your collection once every couple months & making sure things are good. Doesn't have to be too detailed, just count up games for a specific system & make sure the numbers match. Maybe check the drop-down menu for odd regions -the one time I think I had a bad merge, it was over a regional difference. Could've been a mistake on my part though.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 08:47:03 am »
Ok, understood, I guess it's a nice excuse to go over my collection once in a while.

Thanks!

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 09:30:43 am »
There is currently no notification of items merged or deleted, that you have either created, or were added to one of your lists.

Typically, we only will delete items that are obvious errors with none in collections, or items that are too generic as to not being able to determine what it is, custom or homemade items, or items that are out of scope for the database, such as non-game related toys, etc.

Game related items that are in error but are valid for being tracked here should be merged with existing items if they are dupes, or will be fixed by db staff.