Author Topic: Does Anyone Ever Use An (AV) Cord On An Xbox360 or PlayStation 3?  (Read 2132 times)

(story)

My first 7th generation console was the SONY PlayStation 3 Super Slim model. Later I got a used Xbox360 slim years later and then got an internal harddrive for the My Xbox360.  sold separately

In my experience by using an AV (yellow,red,white) cable instead, of an HDMI connection cable. I've noticed a lot less heat build up. when using AV cables on my PlayStation 3 Super Slim instead of an HDMI cable connection.

Every time I use an HDMI cord on my PS3 I would notices when I turn it off and unplug the HDMI cord that the metal connector on the cord is hotter to the touch and the console seems hotter inside as well. I can feel more heat after the HDMI session and the console seems luke warm or just plan cool after a gaming session using an AV cord.

On my Xbox360 I install the all my 360 games to the hard drive and run all the game off the hard drive instead of off the disc drive. Then I use the official Xbox360 AV cord, and I noticed that the console does not get hot either just warm even after a long gaming session.

(conclusion)

I think it is better to play both an Xbox360 as well as a PlayStation 3 (any kind). Using the AV cords rather than the HDMI cords.

However, when it comes to, all the mini/classic consoles, like the PS1, SNES, and NES, classic they do not seem to get hot after playing with them. with an HDMI cord.

how to do this properly on PlayStation 3
https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Connect-PS3-With-AV-Cable?language=en_US

here is some instructions for the Xbox360
https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/xbox-360/console/connect-xbox-360-console-tv

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:25:15 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

Re: Does Anyone Ever Use An (AV) Cord On An Xbox360 or PlayStation 3?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 01:41:07 am »
I do actually. I use one for my fat bc ps3 in my game room hooked up to my crt. I use it to play exclusively ps1/ps2 games.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 02:10:18 am »
I have never had issues with temperatures with any of my 360s regardless of what cable they were using. And even if there were, I still wouldn't go back to the dark times of running a high definition console on standard definition.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 06:04:44 am »
The PS3's HDMI port is right where it pumps out hot air.  It pumps right onto the HDMI casing.  As long as it is the casing that gets warm and not the actual male part of the connector you are fine.  A 10-second Google search got this info.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 06:12:21 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 03:51:22 pm »
The PS3's HDMI port is right where it pumps out hot air.  It pumps right onto the HDMI casing.  As long as it is the casing that gets warm and not the actual male part of the connector you are fine.  A 10-second Google search got this info.

Actually it was the edge of the connector that did get hot. But both the Xbox360 and the PlayStation 3 is built for the HDMI port so either way is probably fine,

Note I just believe I can make my console last longer by using the AV inputs. However in @emporerdragon's response I haven't ever ran my Xbox360 on an HDMI port yet.

I just like to ensure that my console will last longer, plus I don't mind resorting to the old way of doing things either :-\

I only ran a PS3 Super Slim onto the HDMI and was able to experience the difference. It was not just the cord that was hot it was the temperature of the entire console that was hotter with an HDMI rather then an AV input.

My new PS3 slim only get slightly warm although I never used HDMI on it either
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:56:59 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 04:45:19 pm »
Have used AV cables for my Xbox 360 in the past if only to hook it up to the CRT to play something in the background while I play something on the main TV. Otherwise, Ive had all of my consoles that use HDMI hooked up to HDMI. Nothing with them has ever really radiated heat in that sense. Of course you have that option with PS3 and Xbox however current consoles only run HDMI so is not like you have a choice.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 01:07:23 am »
I tried playing my 360 via composite once and it was almost impossible to read the text for the Tekken command list.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 06:36:06 pm »
I tried playing my 360 via composite once and it was almost impossible to read the text for the Tekken command list.

yea I also had an impossible time reading the tiny text telling me how to pick a lock in the beginning of an Assassin's Creed game, on my Xbox360. I think it has something to do with the screen revolution like on the PC, but not sure if it can be fixed or not. on an xbox360 console video game, but on the PS3 in which I'm more familiar with. you could try to alter the console video, or screen settings or fool around in the game options but that is hit and miss. Only certain console games will let you set the screen or brightness while playing

(this post was edited) 8:04pm
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:04:25 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 07:16:33 pm »
I think it has something to do with the screen revolution like on the PC, but not sure if it can be fixed or not.

The fix is using a high definition cable for a high definition game.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 07:48:58 pm »
I think it has something to do with the screen revolution like on the PC, but not sure if it can be fixed or not.

Ding ding ding.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 07:58:29 pm »

Ding ding ding.

The Xbox360 yes the only fix may be an HDMI cord, but on a PlayStation 3 their is a way to adjust to different TV resolutions like 480p and 720p.

for those of you that want to do this here is an official SONY guide

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Change-PS3-Video-Settings?language=en_US

(goggled)
How do I change the resolution on my Xbox 360?
Change your settings
Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
Select Console Settings.
Select Display.
Select HDTV Settings.
Select the appropriate screen resolution for your TV or monitor.

but I never tried this on the xbox360 yet

If heat does not bother you then it's ok to run any consoles at a high relolution, didn't say it was dangerous. but I mainly use a CRT today, but I do also have an HDTV as well, for my mini consoles
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:13:12 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 08:05:32 pm »
But the bigger the TV the fuzzy it is going to be.  The AV cords don't put out at that high of a resolution.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 08:13:32 pm »
But the bigger the TV the fuzzy it is going to be.  The AV cords don't put out at that high of a resolution.

yes :-\ I won't argue with that

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 08:31:14 pm »
I don't know about the specs or operations within any TV consoles, I know my old  PC's used gets hotter off higher screen resolutions and normally when you run things at a higher resolution on a low end PC. it will consume more resources and require the machine to work much harder.

@Cartagia and @emporerdragon might be able to explain things better then me. I just trust my heart and instincts when it comes to machinery.

NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 09:35:07 am »
I had done it for testing only, when trying to see if it was possible for a 4:3 BD to display at full frame. I had determined it was not possible without going through a video processor of some sort.
https://imgur.com/gallery/dYkYh