Author Topic: Ever wish for shorter games?  (Read 4435 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Ever wish for shorter games?
« on: April 07, 2020, 12:05:14 pm »
The last two games I’ve finished, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Blasphemous, we’re both pretty good games. I start off really digging it and trying to do everything.
Then, at some point I get bored and just want the game to be over. I power through and finish them, but the last 1/4 of the game feels like a chore.

Tell me I’m not alone. When was the last time a game left you wanting more?

telly

Re: Ever wish for shorter games?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 12:26:36 pm »
I know I felt that way playing through Dark Souls. I was trying to power through the game as quickly as possible though (without losing my sanity anyway).

Red Dead Redemption II also felt a little too long for me.

EDIT: For clarity, I was trying to beat Dark Souls while I had a two week PSPlus trial active so I could use the online features. Not because I like beating games as quickly as possible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:44:22 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 12:37:21 pm »
Sometimes

With an awesome collection like yourself I can see your point, video games should never feel like a chore, I can see if I am not enjoying a game and I can't save. Or if I want a game to end just to say I beat it. but other than that

you should be playing a video game for enjoyment in my opinion, I don't participate in the 52 game challenge because I don't want to play a game like I have to beat it, it's kinda like watching a full movie or show just to get it over, like if We're at the theater not because you want to be, but because someone insisted on us to watch that movie.

there is no pressure on back log, in fact 99% of the games I play these days have no ending.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 12:53:12 pm »
At times but for me it kind of comes with the territory of having a bunch of games at your disposal. It becomes less problematic if the game keeps you engaged for pretty much the whole way that the time doesnt become an issue. When it feels like its dragging on and becoming a chore then yes you want it to end.

haloofthesun

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 01:24:19 pm »
I wish games were shorter when it's obvious that there are sections of the game that are not polished and were rushed/used as padding for the game's length. A good game that's short is better than an average game that's long. If a game earns its 90 hour playtime, then I'm definitely okay with that. It doesn't happen often, though.

Modern games feel a need to be above a certain length because if a game lasts under 10 hours, players will freak out and leave negative reviews and complain endlessly. Resident Evil 3 Remake is a good recent example of this. It's standard Resident Evil length ("short", 5 to 7 hours on a first playthrough) and people act like this is somehow out of the ordinary and terrible, just like every time there's a new RE game (6 aside, which is obnoxiously long).

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 01:30:17 pm »
Absolutely.  What comes to mind when I think of this is always "Child of Light".  Wonderful game, but it overstays its welcome by like an hour.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 03:33:27 pm »
I feel like it's very easy for games to outstay their welcome and just drag on for far too long. There are games I've played that I was so into that when it was over I was a little bummed, but there are very few and far between. I really appreciate it when a game isn't too long, nor is it too short, but feels like it was the perfect length to keep your interest throughout.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 03:35:21 pm »
For me, it really depends on if the content is extra padding or not. I like exploring all the nooks and crannies of a game to find neat things and rewards, but scattering "collectibles" around the world for the sake of scattering collectibles around the world is just not fun. I  have no problem spending over a hundred hours into a game if I'm being properly rewarded for my efforts (hell, I've gotten all the achievements for Skyrim 3 times now).

soera

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 03:48:58 pm »
Absolutely .... not! I want every game I play to last weeks. If I dont get  $1 an hour of play, its not worth the cost of admission for me...

But I mostly play RPGs, dungeon crawlers, or metroidvanias and those are expected to be long so I am used to it.

thewelshman

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 05:14:11 pm »
Much like Soera, most of the games I play are RPGs that surpass the 80 hour mark. Falcom likes to release games that you have to do two playthroughs to get a platinum, so they could end up at the 130 hour mark. There are times though, that I feel like the game goes just a little too long and should have ended a few hours earlier than it did.

I'd seriously have to change my game genre to ever complete a 52-game challenge.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 05:14:50 pm »
A lot of folks said Spider-Man (PS4) was too short.  It was perfect.  Kept me engaged the whole time and ended just when it needed to. 
Games need to know when to wrap it up.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 05:21:51 pm »
It depends.  I love a game I can dump 100 hours into and I enjoy my time in doing that, but I've had games drag for sure, like Red Dead Redemption 2, that game does not justify its story length in any way whatsoever and I was basically forcing myself to beat it so I could be done with the story after like 50 to 60 hours.  That said, I rarely wish for a game to be outright shorter.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 06:03:47 pm »
The last two games I’ve finished, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Blasphemous, we’re both pretty good games. I start off really digging it and trying to do everything.
Then, at some point I get bored and just want the game to be over. I power through and finish them, but the last 1/4 of the game feels like a chore.

Tell me I’m not alone. When was the last time a game left you wanting more?

I do agree with you a ton of people complain about games needing to last hundreds of hours to be worth the value.

In terms of nintendo games quite some games actually

BOTW mario odyssey luigi's mansion 3 I'd love to have some additional lvl's area's for those games.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 07:09:05 pm »
If a game is bad, I’ll stop playing it.
The only one that comes to mind that I enjoyed playing, but wanted it to end, is Resistance: Fall of Man.
When you get toward the end, it seems like they just kept adding a level of the same crap for the hell of it. No additional story, no real goals, just keep pushing on. You think you’re finished and it keeps dragging and dragging. It’s been awhile, but I’m thinking the last 4-5 sections of the game could of been removed.

mastodon

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 02:14:45 am »
Yeah. The only ever beat one Elder Scrolls. Never beat GTA. Just way too long. Im usually playing Tarkov and Star Citizen to socialize with friends that are too far to hangout with. As far as retro games, I usually beat them. Last one was Final Fantasy on NES. Currently playing super famicom FF2 with English translation on my N8. I may switch to the PS1 remake of FF2 though.