Author Topic: Welcome to the VGC Arena  (Read 1230 times)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Welcome to the VGC Arena
« on: April 15, 2020, 02:43:13 am »
Hey Gang,

I was thinking this site needs more camaraderie. In times like were in now, I think it be pretty sweet to have something to bring us all together. Since we all live on opposite sides of the world from each other, I was thinking... We should have monthly game challenges.  Nintendo Power used to do this back in the day called the Arena.  They would post 3 challenges for that month, then you would bust your ass trying to beat the best time, and take a Polaroid picture and send them into to Nintendo Power. Good times indeed  ;D

So I'm thinking we should do that right here on VGC. Post 2-3 challenges a month, and users could submit their best scores via screenshot. This will all be played on real hardware only, with a picture of your setup, score on the TV, and your name somewhere in the picture. This is the best way to avoid any kind of cheating, and makes it a more genuine playing field for everyone involved.

So who's with me?

- Retro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

VGC Arena Challenge 1 (April 2020):

Wave Race 64 - Best time on Sunset Bay (3 laps)

Start those engines!!  8)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:38:26 am by retromangia »

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC Monthly Challenges - Nintendo Power style
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 10:32:00 am »
Ill give it a go

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:46:38 am »
I'd maybe participate given the right circumstances, but I most likely wouldn't use original hardware.

sonicfan53

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 11:28:21 am »
Hey Gang,

I was thinking this site needs more camaraderie. In times like were in now, I think it be pretty sweet to have something to bring us all together. Since we all live on opposite sides of the world from each other, I was thinking... We should have monthly game challenges.  Nintendo Power used to do this back in the day called the Arena.  They would post 3 challenges for that month, then you would bust your ass trying to beat the best time, and take a Polaroid picture and send them into to Nintendo Power. Good times indeed  ;D

So I'm thinking we should do that right here on VGC. Post 2-3 challenges a month, and users could submit their best scores via screenshot. To make it more genuine, this all has to be done on real hardware, with a picture of your setup, score on the TV, and your name somewhere in the picture... Just like back in the day. Polaroid camera optional.

So who's with me?

- Retro
Well, what would we do for PC games? (Steam, Epic Games, Windows disc, GOG.com...)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 12:11:46 pm »
Good question SonicFan,

PC games will come at a later date, until we can come up with a good way to avoid cheating.

Until then I'd like to stick with console games.

I'm a big a fan of racing games, so I'll throw out some to start with.  Feel free to add some choice games to the list gang.

- Wave Race 64
- F-Zero (SNES)
- Wipeout (PS1)
- Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)
- Ridge Racer (PS1)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 03:59:35 pm »
Good question SonicFan,

PC games will come at a later date, until we can come up with a good way to avoid cheating.

I'm a big a fan of racing games, so I'll throw out some to start with.  Feel free to add some choice games to the list gang.

- Wave Race 64
- F-Zero (SNES)
- Wipeout (PS1)
- Ridge Racer (PS1)

What’s the challenge?  I’ve been looking for an excuse to play wave race.

sonicfan53

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 07:38:46 am »
Good question SonicFan,

- Wave Race 64
- F-Zero (SNES)
- Wipeout (PS1)
- Ridge Racer (PS1)
Mario Kart 7 (3DS) (It can be DS or Wii as well)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 10:09:27 am »
I do love me some Mario Kart, my only concern with MK games is that's a TON of ways to break the game.  I've seen speed runs where people literately skip the entire level lol, So...

Let's start off the short month of April:

Wave Race 64 Challenge.

Best time on Sunset Bay: 3 Laps

Here's the manual to Wave Race
http://m1.nintendo.net/docvc/NUS/USA/NWRE/NWRE_E.pdf

I'll update the OP with this month's challenge.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:04:07 am by retromangia »

sonicfan53

Re: Welcome to the VGC Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 10:24:53 pm »
OOF, I don't have Wave Race 64.