Author Topic: LRG blocking news sites regarding EU info on Streets of Rage 4  (Read 5749 times)

Apparently they've been blocking news sites from telling people that Streets of Rage 4 is getting a standard retail release, and a European Signature Edition to boot.

https://www.thexboxhub.com/physical-signature-edition-announced-for-streets-of-rage-4/

https://mynintendonews.com/2020/05/05/europe-a-retail-release-of-streets-of-rage-4-on-nintendo-switch-is-coming/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

So basically i paid $45 including shipping for a standard edition of a game from a country i don't live in, only to find out that i could have bought a European Signature edition with artbook, ost and the like for £45 with the potential for free shipping.

This is one of the shadier things LRG have done as of late.
Leading people on to increase their sales, and then blocking news sites of revealing info for other customers is an absolutely disgusting practice   >:(

EDIT: They are also refusing refunds. At a time when people would rather not waste their money double dipping, this is a complete shit show   :-\
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:52:33 am by ancestralspirit »

tripredacus

Re: LRG blocking news sites regarding EU info on Streets of Rage 4
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 10:00:32 am »
The standard retail release is from another publisher. Where is the source for the news blocking?
Ref: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1257821196277690368

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 10:04:52 am »
Try selling it?

Their FAQ states that all sales are final so makes sense they would refuse refunds.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 10:11:05 am »
The standard retail release is from another publisher. Where is the source for the news blocking?

On that Nintendo life blog i posted, the tweet in French is from a games journalist, he is the source.
It's easy enough the Google translate the tweets

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:17:47 am »

I don;t know if you read Josh's tweets further on in that thread, but it seems like he denies info one minutes and then counters his own argument in the next.

From what i'm seeing, they have a gag order in their contract until their sales are final.
Basically no one can announce their version until all sales are final with LRG's version, Josh basically states this in his next few tweets attached to the one you posted.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:24:31 am »
Try selling it?

Their FAQ states that all sales are final so makes sense they would refuse refunds.

If you read other threads that LRG have posted, there are plenty of people that request refunds on there and LRG don't seem to have a problem with it.

Who's going to want to buy an overpriced version of the game, when it's getting a standard retail release cheaper, and a Signature Edition at a cheaper price with extra goodies to make it seem more enticing?
More to the point who wouldn't have already ordered the game if they wanted it considering the pre-orders have been open for so damn long, and you know there's already going to be a flood of them on eBay, it's gonna be neigh on impossible to get rid of the damn thing now  :/
Believe me, i'll be trying to sell it if i buy the Signature Edition version, but i don't fancy my chances   :-\

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 10:41:26 am »
Didn't stop me ordering from Signature, I bought the Standard Edition of Streets of Rage 4 - It's more than I'd have liked to pay for it but at least the postage to the UK is reasonable in comparison to LRG... I've said enough on my opinions of that company over the years :P

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 10:42:00 am »
From what i'm seeing, they have a gag order in their contract until their sales are final.
Basically no one can announce their version until all sales are final with LRG's version, Josh basically states this in his next few tweets attached to the one you posted.

Ok there is a contract, you realise that not only one company is on a contract right? Then why only complain about the one side? The terms were accepted by all parties, whoever those are besides the developer/rights holder and LRG, including the other publisher. The fact that news of the release hit is beyond that point, outside parties are not bound by the contract.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 10:51:44 am »

Ok there is a contract, you realise that not only one company is on a contract right? Then why only complain about the one side? The terms were accepted by all parties, whoever those are besides the developer/rights holder and LRG, including the other publisher. The fact that news of the release hit is beyond that point, outside parties are not bound by the contract.

Then perhaps LRG should be more transparent as should others that sign contracts like these.
In order to have something like a gag order in place, you don't have to let other companies have a say in it, first come first served as it were.
So if LRG signed a contract that stated no one could announce the release of any other version, LRG had to knowingly sign that contract that they knew would stop others from talking.
Other companies would then sign contracts that state 'by the by, you're not allowed to talk about this game you're going to release, because this other company got there first'.

So when people were asking LRG if there was going to be anywhere else that was releasing it and LRG said 'no' that must have had some inclination that that wasn't going to be true, since they had to sign a contract that included a gag order against other companies.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 11:17:58 am »
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1258407706915897344

Wondering if Josh bothered to read the report then, because that's not what they're talking about.
The tweet and report was about the blocking of other people from talking about the release of a different region version and that no one else could announce theirs until LRG had finished with their orders.

It doesn't say that LRG games are perpetually exclusive, and if it did that would be false information. However the information about LRG's contract having something put in place to stop others from announcing or talking about their version is the topic for discussion here.

Are you trying to mislead and misdirect the conversation or have i not explained my problem with this enough? I honestly don't know how else to explain the issue with this.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 11:42:02 am »
no comment, at least you got the game, oh but you want to sell it for more money than what you paid for it. I don't feel sorry for you
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »
This is what LRG does, they side skirt the questions asked and try to make it sound like they aren't the bad guy by saying something not related that is true, but sounds related and isn't true if construed the way folks will actually take it.

LRG blocked the sale of Brigadine and River City Girls Asian releases to US addresses.  Play-Asia reps came out and said directly that the publisher's agreement with another distributor blocked the sale of the product to other countries.

In this case... SoR4 is getting an ESRB retail release, but LRG's agreement with DotEmu/LizardCube made it such that Merge Games wasn't allowed to announce the US release until today.  If your argument is that DotEmu/LizardCube should be getting the ire of the masses as well, you are correct.  It's a scummy business tactic to trick consumers into paying more for less under the guise of "it's limited" when it really isn't and everyone involved knew this.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:05:38 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 12:05:13 pm »
no comment, at least you got the game, oh but you want to sell it for more money than what you paid for it. I don't feel sorry for you

A. I haven't got the game, i'm currently trying to cancel it since Josh tweeted me that he's not stopping people from cancelling it.

B. I never asked for sympathy.

C. As previously stated, good luck to anyone trying to sell that game for more than or equal to what they paid for it. Again if you wish to know why, i already stated my reasons in a previous post.

D. If i couldn't cancel it, yes i would sell it, and as long as i got back what i paid for i'd be happy. Please point out where i stated that i wanted to get more than what i paid for it, or wanted to charge an extortionate price.

EDIT: If anyone would like to use the tweet from Josh as to why they wish to cancel their order, please do so:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1258404126569967616
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:07:16 pm by ancestralspirit »

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 12:06:59 pm »
ok sorry, I understand. I would just be happy to get the game, I hope you can at least get game, since you did already pay for it. I would be pissed too if I order something and didn't get it
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:10:31 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"